Am I crazy or…….

In terms of the tail bulge in general, the male panthers do have a pretty noticeable bulge at the base. Almost looks fatty... some are, uh, bulgier than others.... so that part looks normal to me... but better pictures would be a big help. In DonKeesh's photos, you can see that there is a bit of an asymmetrical bump to one side of the vent, which I think is something else going on - as he explained.

one of my panthers regularly puts his hemi out there every time he poops... it takes a minute or two for him to tuck it back in. Freaks me out every time, but he does tuck it back in 100%.

Is your guys pooping normally? Can you get a better pic of the area of concern?

In terms of the tail bulge in general, the male panthers do have a pretty noticeable bulge at the base. Almost looks fatty... some are, uh, bulgier than others.... so that part looks normal to me... but better pictures would be a big help. In DonKeesh's photos, you can see that there is a bit of an asymmetrical bump to one side of the vent, which I think is something else going on - as he explained.

one of my panthers regularly puts his hemi out there every time he poops... it takes a minute or two for him to tuck it back in. Freaks me out every time, but he does tuck it back in 100%.

Ahh I see what you mean. Maybe I should look closer if he is the same.

Well he’s been growing a lot it just big to me. He does poop a lot all normal so far. I have never seen him with his hemi out.
46C5EF90-D13F-47EE-86B9-3C48CC87B8E2.jpeg
0814481C-07E9-4967-8E50-216C4E0758F8.jpeg

Attachments

• 2BB936AC-7CF4-40FD-BCBE-23D7B2776B3E.jpeg
    2BB936AC-7CF4-40FD-BCBE-23D7B2776B3E.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 33
Your second group of photos it appears more normal but the first pictures you posted the bulge is definitely much larger than average. He should "grow into it" but definitely monitor for a hemipenes that has trouble retracting. If you have to... use KY jelly and carefully massage it back in. The hard part is trying to hold him while doing it. I typically see it hanging out a bit after he poops. Hasn't happened in a while for me.

The bulge is definitely a little bigger than normal. If you can afford it, it doesn't hurt to have it checked out by an experienced cham vet to see if it's an issue or not and for peace-of-mind, too.

Thank you! His appointment was today (earliest I could get in) They did remove a itty bitty shed out today. Of course he shed the hemipenes the night/day before his appointment. His tail still looks kind of bulgy to me. The vet also agreed with is being large for his size. He’s 5ish months old and at 30grams. They recommended to give him a warm soak to encourage any remaining shed to come out. Like I’m not literally going to plunk him in water am I?! Besides the last comment they seemed super knowlagable about basic husbandry and were very patient and gentle.

I'm no expert by any means, but soaking a cham in water isn't helpful and can cause issues like stuck shed, as well, since chams are dry shedders.
That is exactly what I have read to be true, or maybe I should say have thought was consensus but I’m very new. I also read pro to people doing this but I’m worried about respiratory issues. It’s so hard sometimes to know who to listen to.

I’d rather give my Chams a sauna. Just put some wet paper towels in a container and let them steam up. I do this for my leopard geckos, I’ve never done it for a chameleon.

or you can just leave it and see if it’ll be worked out naturally.

I’m not a vet - but personally, if he shed the stuck part already, I would leave him alone and just monitor.

Warm soaks are generally considered to do more harm (stress) than good.

i would watch for his next poop, and if that looks good, he is likely fine. One of my male panthers has a pretty large bump, too.

Thank you! Maybe he’s just “gifted”. I do see the asymmetry that you mentioned.
I’m not a vet - but personally, if he shed the stuck part already, I would leave him alone and just monitor.

Warm soaks are generally considered to do more harm (stress) than good.

i would watch for his next poop, and if that looks good, he is likely fine. One of my male panthers has a pretty large bump, too.
Ok that’s sounds smart to me. I check on him regularly and he’s chill with sitting by his cage. I’ll just keep an eye out.

The mister scares him because he doesn’t like being sprayed. So the idea of a bath makes me think I’d seriously freak him out.

I will watch for one to pass. Maybe I’m worried about nothing and that’s just him. It’s just seemed to happen fast.

Thank you for helping me, and for everyone on these forums that has given me advice. I think we all want the best for our scaly friends. I truly am amazed that everyone is so selfless to give their time to help people grow. Y’all rock!

Back
Top Bottom