Am I crazy or…….

Redbulllady

Established Member
Does that look like a weird bulge on his tail base?

Attachments

• CB7CE762-A141-4E93-BAAD-55A5A0C11753.jpeg
    CB7CE762-A141-4E93-BAAD-55A5A0C11753.jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 79
Not crazy. Even though I have a couple of males, I’m not well versed in hemipenal problems other than stuck sperm plugs and prolapses and I’ve personally not dealt with either.
Not sure if this would help.

Thank you! I’ve watched this video before it’s so informative. Do you think this is a sperm plug problem?

Could you try just lightly pressing on it and see if a sperm plug pushes out?
Maybe…..he is super terrified of me still. I’m two months I’ve had him just getting him on a stick for cage cleaning has been an ordeal. I also don’t want him to have problems🙈 I’m just not sure if he just has big stuff or if it is indeed a stuck hemi shed? 😖

I'm not sure what's going on. It might be a bit bigger than it should be ...especially if your noticing it...if you know what I mean.

I've seen that area swell due to an infection and also in a Panther chameleon that (believe it or not) had gout.
Ok I’ll looks into that. I’m not really familiar with how they get this. I’ve seen some pic on here but didn’t read it entirely. Thank you!

I would wait before messing with it until someone actually says it looks odd that has a Panther. I would hate to not only stress him out but cause an issue if nothing at all is wrong.

@DonKeesh does this Panther's Hemipenal bulge look normal?
Definitely on the larger end of the spectrum, what is the age of the Cham? Have you seen it dropping sperm plugs or have you seen the hemipenes exposed? Just curious who was breeder?

So the reason I ask breeder is because my nosy be from kammerflage had a very similar pronounced bulge around 6 months old (around onset of sexual maturity). If you say his sire is Daru I can almost certainly confirm it's a genetic thing. I was also concerned because in addition to the large bulge my chameleon Cryo had a couple times where he couldn't retract the hemipenes fully without my help. Vet said everything was fine though. And as he grew it became less pronounced. Hopefully this helps but I wouldn't worry unless he can't retract hemipenes. Let me know his lineage info and we'll go from there.

So the reason I ask breeder is because my nosy be from kammerflage had a very similar pronounced bulge around 6 months old (around onset of sexual maturity). If you say his sire is Daru I can almost certainly confirm it's a genetic thing. I was also concerned because in addition to the large bulge my chameleon Cryo had a couple times where he couldn't retract the hemipenes fully without my help. Vet said everything was fine though. And as he grew it became less pronounced. Hopefully this helps but I wouldn't worry unless he can't retract hemipenes. Let me know his lineage info and we'll go from there.
Haha wow! I’m so glad you reaponded. He is indeed a Kammer from Daru he will be 5 months soon. Ok so not to worry? I have not seen any sheds or his hemipene out.

Haha wow! I’m so glad you reaponded. He is indeed a Kammer from Daru he will be 5 months soon. Ok so not to worry? I have not seen any sheds or his hemipene out.
This is truly fascinating... I would contact kammerflage and show them the pics. There's something genetic going on with Daru blood. He does make pretty blue chameleons though! You can say you have found other Daru babies on the forums with similar issues/appearance. I will say it could be an issue if he does expose hemipenes and it gets stuck out like my Cryo because helping it back in is a pain. And I always have to inspect him because if it gets stuck out for long it could dry out and become a big problem. Bill Strand even said I should consider having his hemipenes amputated to prevent future issues. Let me know what they say, there weren't very happy when I suggested it was genetic but heres the proof.

This is truly fascinating... I would contact kammerflage and show them the pics. There's something genetic going on with Daru blood. He does make pretty blue chameleons though! You can say you have found other Daru babies on the forums with similar issues/appearance. I will say it could be an issue if he does expose hemipenes and it gets stuck out like my Cryo because helping it back in is a pain. And I always have to inspect him because if it gets stuck out for long it could dry out and become a big problem. Bill Strand even said I should consider having his hemipenes amputated to prevent future issues. Let me know what they say, there weren't very happy when I suggested it was genetic but heres the proof.
This is very interesting! They have been so helpful I hate to give them negative feedback but I also don’t want it to become a problem. Do you think I should check him out for sheds inside? He doesn’t trust me yet. Ill try to email her today and see what she says.

This is very interesting! They have been so helpful I hate to give them negative feedback but I also don’t want it to become a problem. Do you think I should check him out for sheds inside? He doesn’t trust me yet. Ill try to email her today and see what she says.
I don't think it's a shed or a plug. Too similar to my experience and sharing the same sire it's just too weird to not be genetic anomaly imo.

Back
Top Bottom