Already stressing about storms

Just looking for some advice. I'm located in Florida, and have only had my cham since September. We didn't land any hurricanes last year. I've been through two in the last three years, and one we didn't lose power at all, but one we were without for about a week.

What should I do in the instance of a power outage? I'm not as worried about temperature, because the temperature in Florida with AC is not going to be too cold for a cham (too hot for his humans, maybe!) but what about his UVB? Any Florida cham parents here?

jannb
is in the keys, and gets kicked out a few times because they close the bridges. Adults can go a few months without UVB. Fast growing babies can go a week or 2. Incase of the apocalypse where you have to goto a friends house for a few weeks, you can just adjust your powdering so that they get D3 every feeding. Plenty of breeders do not use UVB bulbs and just run off of D3 supplements, so yours can survive just fine for a few weeks/months. Plus its summer, just put them outside in chicken cages or something :)

I live in Naples, and had a chameleon during Irma when I lost power for a week. I would take him out to the lanai (mostly screened in after the storm), and have him free range in a ficus tree all day. I'd feed him out there too - yes it got hot but there was nothing I could do about that, and he got his UVB. I'd bring him in and put him in his cage each night. At the time I also had 2 bearded dragons so they had a separated out area of the lanai where I'd put them and their breakfast - for that reason I bought a box of gloves to use because you can't always wash your hands as much as you'd like. I had a spray bottle and hand-misted during the day.

Another option would be to get a second screen cage and a few live plants. If power goes out you can set the second cage up outside when the weather clears and put he cham outside for 30-60 minutes. That way you dont have to hold the cham if it is not used to handling.

I currently do this for my veiled at my apartment. Acouple times a week I'll put him outside on my lunch break when the weather is nice. Nothing beats natural sun light!

Thank you everyone! I feel much better about this now.

We're in an apartment, so free-ranging or leaving outside unattended isn't an option, but I could definitely bring him outside and sit with him in an emergency power situation. :)
yeah, i agree with @Graves923 i would go on craigslist or something and get a small used cage and that should be good

Another option would be to get a second screen cage and a few live plants. If power goes out you can set the second cage up outside when the weather clears and put he cham outside for 30-60 minutes. That way you dont have to hold the cham if it is not used to handling.

I currently do this for my veiled at my apartment. Acouple times a week I'll put him outside on my lunch break when the weather is nice. Nothing beats natural sun light!
yeah, i agree with @Graves923 i would go on craigslist or something and get a small used cage and that should be good

We actually still have his "baby" cage (16x16x30) that could be used for a portable going-outside cage. He is used to handling for outside time (because I like him to get out and get real sunshine, too,) but letting him have his safe space would be preferred.

Back
Top Bottom