Aloha! New to Forum

Casket_Case

Avid Member
Ciao! My name is Alec and my Chameleon’s name is Van. I’m a senior in highschool and work part time at a funeral home. I got Van yesterday, he’s about a year and a half old and he’s a Veiled Chameleon. He is a little aggressive but I’m patiently starting hand training with him.
Here’s a picture of him when I bought him:
6924498A-B311-4355-A80D-46367C30C943.jpeg

Here’s a picture of him at home later that day:
4408A3BC-914D-4F1A-8169-A53114542B16.jpeg

Today he’s been brightly colored and he even came out of the cage and we took a walk.
He’s been incredible so far and I’m excited for the future :)

Would you please fill out this form so we can check if everything is okay thankyou also you don’t want to take your chameleon on a walk that can be extremely stressful you only need to handle them around once a week and for short periods of time

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Would you please fill out this form so we can check if everything is okay thankyou also you don’t want to take your chameleon on a walk that can be extremely stressful you only need to handle them around once a week and for short periods of time

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Species:
Veiled Chameleon

Sex:
Male

Handling:
Every other day holding for a few minutes. I try to give him outside time. I’m learning handling from two people who own very friendly veiled chameleons.

Feeding:
Crickets; four to five every other day.

Supplements:
Calcium

Watering:
Misting every morning and afternoon, dripper on during day.

Fecal Description:
Equal black and white.

History:
None

Cage Type:
Normal Reptibreeze (I know, I need a bigger one and I am working on it.)

Light:
Heat Lamp
T5 UVB bulb
Aqueon Optibright LED will be added for plant growth.

Temperature:
72° F is the ambient temperature, he has a heat lamp that is turned off at night. At night the temperature is about 65° F.

Humidity:
Unknown, I am spraying down his cage often and I am working on putting live plants in his cage to help. I just need new pots and gravel. I will get a hygrometer when I get the chance.

Plants:
I will add Canna Lilly, Dracaena, Bromeliad, Airplant & I plan on a passionflower vine.

Cage Placement:
He is near a window and gets some natural light but far away enough to where cold weather won’t affect him. He is out of the way of a nearby vent.

I will also like to add I did get him second hand. The setup is what I got and it’s great for how much I paid and me starting. I am working on upgrades but they will be gradual.

Species:
Veiled Chameleon

Sex:
Male

Handling:
Every other day holding for a few minutes. I try to give him outside time. I’m learning handling from two people who own very friendly veiled chameleons.

Feeding:
Crickets; four to five every other day.

Supplements:
Calcium

Watering:
Misting every morning and afternoon, dripper on during day.

Fecal Description:
Equal black and white.

History:
None

Cage Type:
Normal Reptibreeze (I know, I need a bigger one and I am working on it.)

Light:
Heat Lamp
T5 UVB bulb

Temperature:
72° F is the ambient temperature, he has a heat lamp that is turned off at night. At night the temperature is about 65° F.

Humidity:
Unknown, I am spraying down his cage often and I am working on putting live plants in his cage to help. I just need new pots and gravel. I will get a hygrometer when I get the chance.

Plants:
I will add Canna Lilly, Dracaena, Bromeliad, Airplant & I plan on a passionflower vine.

Cage Placement:
He is near a window and gets some natural light but far away enough to where cold weather won’t affect him. He is out of the way of a nearby vent.

I will also like to add I did get him second hand. The setup is what I got and it’s great for how much I paid and me starting. I am working on upgrades but they will be gradual.
Looks pretty good! Is the poop black or deep brown bc black doesn’t sound good. I would work on getting a hygrometer. What calcium and what schedule

Looks pretty good! Is the poop black or deep brown bc black doesn’t sound good. I would work on getting a hygrometer. What calcium and what schedule
Deep brown. And I think it’s the zoo med brand it’s a white powder. I planned on just dusting his crickets with it. He ate yesterday before I got him and he’s got super worms in his feeding container dusted in it in case he’s hungry and I’m picking up crickets tomorrow.

You also need to give him a variety of insects, not just crickets and they need to be gutloaded before you feed them to your Cham. By that I mean you feed then fresh greens, veggies, and fruits.

What is your light fixture and uvb bulb, what brands? You need a t5h0 fixture with either a reptisun 5.0 or an Arcadia 6% long linear bulb as wide as your cage and if your going to upgrade the size of your cage soon than get the bulb as long as the width of the new cage. The basking branch should be 8-9 inches below your basking light and uvb. You will need a 60 watt basking light and most here use regular white incandescent or halogen bulbs like you’d use in your house. He should have a basking temp of around 80 and a humidity around 50% during the day and temp of around 55-65 at night with humidity of 80-100%. It’s very important to get a hygrometer so you can measure the humidity. If you go on Amazon you can pick them up pretty cheap. Most of them measure temp and humidity and it’s good to have at least 3 so you can measure temp and humidity at the top of the cage, in the middle, and the bottom. The one for the top needs to have a wired probe that you can zip tie to the basking branch so you can measure the temp where he basks. I hope this all helps you.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

Supplements:
Calcium
YOU NEED TO PROVIDE A PHOS FREE CALCIUM POWDER DUSTED LIGHTLY ON THE INSECTS JUST BEFORE FEEDING THEM TO THE CHAMELEON AT ALL FEEDINGS BUT ONE A WEEK. ON THAT ONE YOU WILL ALTERNATE BETWEEN A PHOS FREE CALCIUM/D3 POWDER LIGHTLY AND A VITAMIN POWDER WITH NO D3 AND A PREFORMED SOURCE OF VITAMIN A.

Light:
Heat Lamp
T5 UVB bulb
@Lindasjackson HAS COVERED LIGHTING I THINK.

Temperature:
BASKING TEMPERATURE?

Plants:
MAKE SURE WHATEVER YOU USE IS NONTOXIC AND WELL WASHED BOTH SIDES OF THE LEAVES.

Cage Placement:

You also need to give him a variety of insects, not just crickets and they need to be gutloaded before you feed them to your Cham. By that I mean you feed then fresh greens, veggies, and fruits.
I’m picking up crickets today and I’ll later pickup mealworms and hornworms when a breeder friend gets them :D so for gutloading just put fresh fruits and vegetables in the Cricket jar?
Also my yard is treated or else I’d get bugs from there. Is getting cicadas and stuff from the woods an option to enrich his diet?

Last edited:
What is your light fixture and uvb bulb, what brands? You need a t5h0 fixture with either a reptisun 5.0 or an Arcadia 6% long linear bulb as wide as your cage and if your going to upgrade the size of your cage soon than get the bulb as long as the width of the new cage. The basking branch should be 8-9 inches below your basking light and uvb. You will need a 60 watt basking light and most here use regular white incandescent or halogen bulbs like you’d use in your house. He should have a basking temp of around 80 and a humidity around 50% during the day and temp of around 55-65 at night with humidity of 80-100%. It’s very important to get a hygrometer so you can measure the humidity. If you go on Amazon you can pick them up pretty cheap. Most of them measure temp and humidity and it’s good to have at least 3 so you can measure temp and humidity at the top of the cage, in the middle, and the bottom. The one for the top needs to have a wired probe that you can zip tie to the basking branch so you can measure the temp where he basks. I hope this all helps you.
It’s the repti-sun 5.0
But I do have a Coralife light with T5s… it grew SPS coral for a long while and if I needed to I could pull that out and use it. That thing puts off some light.

Welcome to the forum!

Supplements:
Calcium
YOU NEED TO PROVIDE A PHOS FREE CALCIUM POWDER DUSTED LIGHTLY ON THE INSECTS JUST BEFORE FEEDING THEM TO THE CHAMELEON AT ALL FEEDINGS BUT ONE A WEEK. ON THAT ONE YOU WILL ALTERNATE BETWEEN A PHOS FREE CALCIUM/D3 POWDER LIGHTLY AND A VITAMIN POWDER WITH NO D3 AND A PREFORMED SOURCE OF VITAMIN A.

Light:
Heat Lamp
T5 UVB bulb
@Lindasjackson HAS COVERED LIGHTING I THINK.

Temperature:
BASKING TEMPERATURE?

Plants:
MAKE SURE WHATEVER YOU USE IS NONTOXIC AND WELL WASHED BOTH SIDES OF THE LEAVES.

Cage Placement:

I have calcium with no D3 but I’m going to the pet store today so I’ll try to pick some up. I also have to get a new heat bulb today because his broke lastnight! I’ll use a thermometer to make sure it’s at 80° F
The plants I’ve checked and I’ve just gotta clean them, repot them and then put gravel in the top of the pots.

Him this morning:
97B2B4B4-BC58-4159-905C-E00C603E606B.jpeg

I’ve heard you tell a lot about how they’re doing from coloration? like when they get peed off they turn dark green, when they’re brown they’re trying to absorb light, et cetera. Is there any threads talking about that? And does he seem content in the picture?

Sweet! And yeah I’ve got lots of plants I can put in there the main thing is getting them in pots and gravel (to obv keep him from digging but also I worry about aesthetics) and I found some river cane that grows at a creek and this really cool looking cane that grows in my backyard and I’ll probably put that in there, it’s SUPER tall I’ll probably have to trim it. Another good thing about having a creek nearby is driftwood that I can put in the cage :D

Back
Top Bottom