Almost had a tragedy tonight :(

MEPOKEU

I had my ferrets out in my back yard. They were in one of those round metal cages with a plastic cover for the top and bottom. Its about 5 feet across and makes a circle.
I usually put them out there for the day so they can play in it. Its a huge play pen so they can run around in tubes and play with all their toys.
Needless to say tonight was their first time they were out past dark. I fell asleep watching a movie.
When i woke up i was "oh, crap." I immediately ran down stairs to go bring them in. I turn on the lights on the back deck and what do i see?

A gang of raccoons trying to get into sams and nibbles cage! These guys were huge.
I ran up to them "shoo get away"!!!!
I got within 2 feet before they retreated.

After i got sam and nibbles inside the raccoons were still trying to get into the cage.
I couldnt believe it. My sister has lived here for two years and never had a raccoon in the backyard (which is fenced).

Guess ferrets smell like a tasty treat :(

Sorry bout your scare, glad ya got there on time :)

Racoons creep me out, i wouldnt be able to scare them off, unless with my minibike engine, its LOUD.

:p

what movie did ya fall asleep to? LOL

Got to be careful - if it was dark, not too much to worry about. See that crap in the day, and different story!

They are notoriously curious, so they might have simply been interested in your ferrets, not just out to kill them and eat them. Despite that, you need to be careful. they're smart, and will likely come back. They might require a good scare to deter them in the future.

red dawn

:)

Luckly they retreated. If not they would have met my Walther P-22
I like raccoons, but nibbles and sam is family.

But its a learning experiance.
nibbles and sam will never be out past dark now...

A lot of coyotes were I live. I'm still surprise that some of my neighbors let their cats go outside overnight. One was just made a meal of a week or so ago. Good you woke up in time...

omg! you are super brave!! Raccoons could have been REALLY bad news not just for your ferrets but for YOU too. They are very dangerous even though they are smaller and cute! Good thing they spooked sometimes they don't!

We have a female racoon, and her babies that live in the neighbors barn behind us. The little dogs are never let out after dark in the summer. They would be no contest for the racoons. Glad you got them out of harms way on time. ;)

If you have food out for the ferrets thats what they were after. We have some big ones over here too and they go after the cat food if there is any left outside. Glad to see someone else has ferrets. I have 8 of the little munchkins.

I'd be worried about Rabies too. In my area, racoons and bats are notorious for spreading rabies. One little nip is all it takes. Hopefully you have kept up with their shots.

Beware, if they sense you have food "yes, this mean live" then they will come. They'll raid your trash and everything. We get lots at my house cause of our pond, they're fearless.

Tacoma......

I lived in Tacoma for years. I had racoons in the yard every night. They would drink out of the bird baths and try to get seed out of the bird feeders. One night I found a full grown deer on my patio. I had a very small fenced in yard. That big boy jumped over the fence with no running start. It was pretty amazing to see him clear a high fence like that. I live in Gig Harbor now and I'm afraid to turn on the outside light at times. Raccoons, possums, skunks, foxes, deer, moles (yes moles run out in the open at night). There is nothing meaner than a mommy racoon that has her babies around. One tried to drag a neighbor's dog off. Our cats are not allowed outside. I'm glad your ferrets are safe :)

Back
Top Bottom