All Worm Diet?

@jamest0o0 is our Bug Lord and can tell you all about the different types of roaches and bugs. The only other roaches I’ve tried are Surinam and I grew to hate/fear them and their super fast climbing ability. However, if you’re looking to add a good staple feeder, I love silkworms! With care you can breed your own, or at least buy eggs and hatch/grow them yourself to save a bit of $$.

@jamest0o0 is our Bug Lord and can tell you all about the different types of roaches and bugs. The only other roaches I’ve tried are Surinam and I grew to hate/fear them and their super fast climbing ability. However, if you’re looking to add a good staple feeder, I love silkworms! With care you can breed your own, or at least buy eggs and hatch/grow them yourself to save a bit of $$.
But where do you get the mulberry leaves to feed them

Do the red runners and discoids fly?
Neither species can fly - male red runners can sort of glide if dropped from a high place but not that well; females don't even have wings. And neither can climb. I consider red runners to be a moderate escape risk from chameleon enclosures though, they are small and wiggly. They make great feeders size and movement wise but I don't keep them anymore because I consider them difficult to control. To be fair though, they live in my area in huge numbers and on the rare occasions I'd see one inside I could never be sure if it was a wild one or an escapee (and I would occasionally see them in my house before I ever kept them as a feeder). I consider discoids a negligible escape risk. Neither could easily infest a house if escaped.
I hate that crunching sound...like fingernails on a chalkboard!
Yeah, gotta endure it though.
What about banana roaches I have heard chams really like them are they a good healthy one for them
I have a colony going now and I personally do not care for them. They can climb and they can fly and they like to burrow. They have some value as a treat and potentially the ability to stimulate a feeding response in a stubborn animal since they're novel looking, but you basically have to hand feed them as they will immediately escape from any container and burrow into the substrate. They're also very small. I don't intend to continue to raise them long term, I think they're sort of a failed experiment, at least for my current purposes.
But where do you get the mulberry leaves to feed them
I much prefer feeding silkworms real leaves as it makes the whole process much easier and cheaper, but in winter months you have to use the chow.

I thought bsfl were a better alternative to crickets due to their nutritional value.
Bsfl are superior in many ways, they keep easier last longer and are far easier to actually feed off, also they are easier to gut load they will eat ANYTHING .

They also turn to flys so unfed options turn to an flying buffet (the nutritional value of the flys is much lower but is good enrichment for your Cham.)

Downsides are they get super powers when wet, and they seem to be harder to digest. Many keepers myself included find bsfl that seems undigested in the poop.

Crickets kind of suck in my option but they are readily available and cheap.

End of the day gutload is key. The food is an empty vessel that we need to pack with nutrients before giving to our chams.

When my friends with dogs complain about how much work it is to keep them as a pet I remind them that I have to feed my pets food it's own food 🤣

I feed silk worms and bsfl as my main staples and mix in a super every other feeding and use horn worms for treats / hydration this has worked well for me as my chameleon has rejected dubia roaches many times. I find worms to be effortless to handle and feed vs roaches and am so glad that my chameleon hasn't gotten sick of silk worms or bsfl in the past 3-4 years.

Hi have you fed locusts, always my girls favourite ( possibly because of there bright colours) ? What size of roaches have you tried vs age / size of your panther ?
Can I ask something I have a 4/5 month old panther and he's only been here two days only eating worms no locusts ATM. Lil worried but I'm guessing this is common for new home panther?

Back
Top Bottom