All Screen or Hybrid Enclosure in Upstate SC

KCham

Hi,

I live slightly more in the upstate are of SC near the NC border. I currently have a screen cage for my Veiled and am wondering if I need a hybrid cage with some solid sides, instead. I have a fogger and a mister and my set up's still not maintaining enough humidity. Is there something I should/could be doing with the screen cage or is it time to move on to the hybrid? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Kara

If not already you should be misting the cage multiple times a day. Live plants also help with humidity because they transpire and the wet soil gives off humidity as well.

You might want to fill this out so people have more information:
Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

If not already you should be misting the cage multiple times a day. Live plants also help with humidity because they transpire and the wet soil gives off humidity as well.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

Hi Jeff,

I'll be happy to try to answer all of those questions.
Chameleon info:
Marcel is an 8 month old male Veiled who I've had since he was about 2 months old
I do not handle him much because he's responded negatively to human contact since he was a baby and I don't want to stress him as I've read different things about that. I'm basically his hand maiden and dote on him while trying not to disturb him unduly. In the store, he was content to come out and let me hold him, but as soon as we got home, he changed his tune and is kind of a grumpy, but lovable fella. I have read and heard that some are simply not as sociable as others and I'm thinking that may be the case with Marcel.
He eats gut-loaded crickets and small Dubai roaches dusted in a vitamin and calcium supplement and sometimes has meal worms as treats. Veg-wise, he likes the occasional strawberry or some mustard greens, but, mostly seems to prefer insects to anything else..
His droppings are capsular-shaped and often have some white fecal matter attached to one end that looks a bit like bird poop.
He was purchased from a pet store and not a breeder, which I don't think I would do again after learning about a decent number of reputable breeders out there, but he was certified to be captive-bred and parasite free.
Cage info:
His cage is a screen cage and is 18x18x36. It is time for him to upgrade and I'm trying to decide which type of cage to get, hence the question of screened or hybrid based on my geographical location.
His lighting is Exo Terra Repti Glo UV and a ceramic heat lamp for temperature.
The temperature gradient ranges from 90-95 degrees at basking level to about 70-75 degrees down lower under his hiding glen.
His humidity can get up to 70%, but it doesn't hold for any length of time and keeps dropping down to 50%. I can't seem to maintain the optimum 70%. He has a Nat Geo fogging log and a Zoo Med Reptirain automatic misting system that sprays every 15 minutes. I also mist him at least 4-5 times per day. I plan on upgrading my misting system when I get his larger home and would appreciate recommendations for that, too.
I am currently using fake plants, but plan on incorporating one or two Pothos in his new, larger home in hopes that will help hold in more humidity. About how much of an improvement in humidity retention can I expect to see with the introduction of live plants?
His cage is located in a room off of our kitchen and living room that is my craft room. There isn't a door to separate, just an large archway entrance from the kitchen into his room. His cage is on a table with the bottom elevated about 30" off of the floor in a spot that allows him to see what's going on around him and what we're doing without too much commotion right around his cage.
I am located in SC near Charlotte, NC.
Based on the above, I'd be happy for any pointers or tips, keeping in mind that I will be introducing live plants and upgrading the cage size and misting system. I would really like to get his new home as soon as possible, but am a bit of a loss as to what to choose and would love advice about those last two factors (mist and screen vs. hybrid type cage).
Current problem: Achieving optimal humidity levels.

That's good to know Alexander1. I appreciate the info and it makes me think I'd be okay to go with screened again. Btw, your cham in the profile pic is gorgeous.

Hi,

I live slightly more in the upstate are of SC near the NC border. I currently have a screen cage for my Veiled and am wondering if I need a hybrid cage with some solid sides, instead. I have a fogger and a mister and my set up's still not maintaining enough humidity. Is there something I should/could be doing with the screen cage or is it time to move on to the hybrid? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Kara
As the seasons change and you have to either heat or cool your house, that can change the cage's humidity cycle quite a bit. If you find the level is too low (during the middle of winter heating season for example) its very easy to attach some clear shower curtains or sheet plastic to the sides and back of the cage. Then remove them when the humidity goes up again in spring/summer.

You could even have plexiglass or lexan cut to fit on the outsides of the cage and then remove them as needed when humidity is up in the house. You can use a number of ways to attach,magnets double sided tape,get clever with it....
Or,get a clearsided dragonstrand,the retention of a misting systems operation is pretty awesome,and allows you to create different pockets of varying humidity etc. I have a video or two of one in use in my Panther chameleon zoraks thread if it helps you see one in use some.

Back
Top Bottom