All ok but...

Ivan

My young Kevin is doint really good, started to show some amazing colors, he is growing well and fast, and overall he seems happy.
Too bad every time I approach the enclosure he simply runs for his life.
I noticed he was very shy since the day i bought him, but since he was the only male I took him anyway.
The enclosure is placed in a very calm corner of the house, I never handle him, so he has a very serene life.
Now, all this calm life is doing good for him, but also clearly increased is shy behaviour.
Sometimes is almost hard to observe him, since he simply disappear when I get close. Days ago i tried take a picture of him and his new wonderful color pattern, with open enclosure. No way, was pure panic for him.
My question is, this behaviour will be reduced when he grows up?
It is common for young Veiled/chams in general to act like this unless you don't handle them regularly?
I started to believe that the daily minutes of handeling policy is not so bad.
I don't want a toy, but not even a panicful animal everytime i get close.

Suggestion for his "education" ?

You ever try hand feeding? That might be the best way to get him to start associating you with more good things. If you can get him to hand feed from you then you are on your way. Another thing would be to slide your hand under him and see if you can get him to grip on your hand and just sit like that until he decides to move off. Those are some of the way I have heard folks starting to "tame" their chams.

Your chams behavior sounds very normal though, most don't like to be acknowledged. My little girl always shys away from me when I am observing her. She always moves to put her pathway in between me and her even if it means hanging upside down

NOTE:
His enclosure is a Jungle ( as you can check in the pictures section of the forum) , that's why he can disappear in it.
This enclosure set up is surely good for his "savage" character but bad for our friendship...

You ever try hand feeding? That might be the best way to get him to start associating you with more good things. If you can get him to hand feed from you then you are on your way. Another thing would be to slide your hand under him and see if you can get him to grip on your hand and just sit like that until he decides to move off. Those are some of the way I have heard folks starting to "tame" their chams.

Tried handfeeding couple of time with no results, he disapper in his jungle until the cage door is shut.
To gently slide the hand waiting for him to come is impossible just right now, he see my hand like an horrible snake just right now, he simply run for his life as I said, so i tried just few times to not to stress him.
I should try keep him with no food for some time and push him to do crazyness like jump on my hand to feed, but I feel a bad dad doing this ^_^

Back
Top Bottom