Alexa's diet

SmallToes

So she gets each a blueberry and grape once weekly. She use to try and eat her fake plants on occasion so I increased her kale to every feeding. (Now she doesn't try that) Just a pinch cut up into strips. 3-4 dubia roaches with 1 calci worm and a large super worm every other feeding. 1 Hornworm a week and 2-3 crickets a day. I have Repashy Calcium Plus LoD coming this Monday. Currently gutloading with carrots, kale and this stuff I picked up shortly after I got her. (Photo) I'm not sure if it's quality stuff so I intend on getting the Repashy gutload mix next week and silkworms. I'm wondering if 2 feedings a day is too much? We're talking some kale, roaches, and 1 calciworm and superworm a day. Waxworms used for treats 2-3 of those weekly.

Oh and I have been lightly dusting with the kit vitamin so once the better vitamins come in that stuffs going in the trash

Last edited:
A few days ago I took any plant style that was smaller than her head out. Possibly a dumb question but can plants also double as lay bins?

A few days ago I took any plant style that was smaller than her head out. Possibly a dumb question but can plants also double as lay bins?
No dumb questions here.

I wouldn’t say it’s encouraged but over the last year having a live plant in your lay bin has become more mainstream. Thinking is that the fine root structure aids in preventing tunnel collapse.

Have you removed all the fake plants yet?

I haven't, otherwise it would only be vines in there. There's an office store locally and I would think they would have some live plants, I'm sure there's a thread on safe plants and I'll go from there. It's been quite some time since she's tried eating any of them (since I've added kale to every feeding)

Pothos! Best plant for a veiled imho. I wanted some variety and initially tried other plants too, but slowly removing and replacing with pothos. Schefflera (comes in many varieties), hibiscus, croton and ficus are all safe.

Schefflera Arboricola is popular... it's usually sold with 3 "tree" stalks. IMO it looks best when you break these up and seperate them... looks more like a forest and less like a potted plant. Schefflera Amate is one of my favorites to use, it looks more tropical and has much larger leaves, but fewer. If she eats her plants you need to pay close attention and make sure whatever plant you use is "safe." Pothos, Philodendron, Ficus, etc will all be listed as toxic, but that is usually due to them containing high numbers of oxalates... which are suspected to only be a problem if ingested in large numbers. So dangerous for a dog, but considered safe for a cham.

How old is Alexa? Her feeding amount and schedule would vary depending on her age.

Don’t they like do lay against something sturdy? In that case I’d think that the roots would do a pretty good job of that.

I'm thinking she's 4-6 months, if she starts to show adult color next shed I would think 6-8 months but if she continues to be a blue and green lady for a couple months she's got to be 4 (or a really late bloomer)

Thanks for the plant names, I do like the slim tree idea will look if amazon has any then look locally :p

I'm thinking she's 4-6 months, if she starts to show adult color next shed I would think 6-8 months but if she continues to be a blue and green lady for a couple months she's got to be 4 (or a really late bloomer)

Thanks for the plant names, I do like the slim tree idea will look if amazon has any then look locally :p

Home Depot’s website usually has them... but I really like ordering from gardengoodsdirect. Ive gotten great quality plants from them and free shipping over $99. They arent quick to ship, though. Logees is good too.

If she is 4-6 then feeding her once a day is good. A variety, too. Good that she has been introduced to dubia already. I have 2 little girls around 4 months as well. I give them 12-15 feeders a day, usually before I head to work in the am. Usually a combination of small crickets, dubia, bsfl, silks, supers and hornworms. One readily eats them all, the other hasn’t taken to caterpillars yet.

It's been quite some time since she's tried eating any of them (since I've added kale to every feeding)
No, its been quite some time since you've SEEN her try it, its still happening. Big difference. No veiled should have fake plants in their viv. They are the only species who regularly eat plant matter as part of their diet, that's why having fake plants in the viv of any other species isn't a big deal. Not preferable but acceptable. Nothing personal, just a general rule for all veild's. Just trying to prevent problems for you.

Both Amazon and EBay are good for live plants!

Did not realize that was a thing. Will step up the plant priority level and get that taken care of before new gutload mix. Thank you for the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom