ALEX NEEDS HELP!

my chameleon is not wild caught. I got him from a local pet store.
I will try keeping him cooler for the next few days and see how that effects him.

should I get a mineral supplement?
how often should I put bee pollen on his food? im assuming that's just an occasional thing for when his immune system could use a boost.

What would make you think he has a parasite? is it just his poor nutritional condition? are there any signs I should be looking for
Was he an adult when you bought him?

I wonder if something is poisoning him. Maybe make a new terrarium with different plants. Are those plastic? Good luck and i am very sorry.

my chameleon is not wild caught. I got him from a local pet store.
I will try keeping him cooler for the next few days and see how that effects him.

should I get a mineral supplement?
how often should I put bee pollen on his food? im assuming that's just an occasional thing for when his immune system could use a boost.

What would make you think he has a parasite? is it just his poor nutritional condition? are there any signs I should be looking for

pollen every meal is ok ;)

I think of parasites because he seem to have bunch of symptoms sometime specific sometime unspecific so im thinking about something draining the ressources and stressing him from the inside - other than your husbandry (who might be improved but others member already pinpoint what changes you can make) .. also almost Jacksons are WC so.. I assume yours is (till proof of contrary.. rule of thumbs).. ;)

pollen every meal is ok ;)

I think of parasites because he seem to have bunch of symptoms sometime specific sometime unspecific so im thinking about something draining the ressources and stressing him from the inside - other than your husbandry (who might be improved but others member already pinpoint what changes you can make) .. also almost Jacksons are WC so.. I assume yours is (till proof of contrary.. rule of thumbs).. ;)
good to know. thanks for you advice.

I wonder if something is poisoning him. Maybe make a new terrarium with different plants. Are those plastic? Good luck and i am very sorry.
I was told to get these plants specifically from the owner of Chameleon Paradise so I highly doubt the plants are the issue.
some of the vines and the back wall are plastic

Hey! Maybe this is a cb!!?‍♀️;) try a fecal anyway this can’t hurts

All right so I double check the picture, to me he look cb ;) maybe around 3 months old (little bit more hard to tell but at 1 month of age they weight under 2 grams so its tiiiiiiinnnnny and unethical to sell!

is it ok if I pm you, your case is interesting and im curious to investigate more about what can be wrong with him. how is he today?

All right so I double check the picture, to me he look cb ;) maybe around 3 months old (little bit more hard to tell but at 1 month of age they weight under 2 grams so its tiiiiiiinnnnny and unethical to sell!

is it ok if I pm you, your case is interesting and im curious to investigate more about what can be wrong with him. how is he today?
of course! Message me anytime, I love learning more about care. I plan on keeping chameleons for the rest of my life so I want to know as much as possible to keep them healthy, especially Jacksons.

also I know that I got him the VERY FIRST DAY they were allowed to sell him, so whatever age that is.

Update on his condition
It's been thee days since he's eaten and before that feeding he had not eaten in about 3 days.

He is still doing his weird coordination stuff, hanging upside down and kind of laying on on the branches rather than holding with his legs. however, he is doing it a lot less. He seems to be climbing around more often and doing some of his more normal behaviors. I can tell he's definitely moving in the right direction

also, I fed him lactulose (laxative from my vet) a few days ago and he still hasn't pooped. I didn't read that I was supposed to "shake well" before I fed it to him so im wondering if his dose was diluted because the bottle sat there for a few months prior.

I also have been only giving him only a few hours a day with his heat on like you said. top heat in his cage with it off is about 78 degrees.

UPDATE
Alex is still seeming to get better very very slowly
as I said before he is showing those odd coordination and vision issues less and less.
he also pooped once
he is still showing no interest in food. anyone know why that might be?

UPDATE!
Alex is, again, slowly getting better.
the swelling on his cheek has not progressed at all. not sure if I should do anything or just leave it?
Today he pooped again for the second time since all this happened
and he ate two crickets!
overall he looks pretty healthy and I haven't seen him hanging upside down or anything today.

nevertheless, his vision is still not getting better. Im scare his vitamin deficiency from a young age may have made this issue permanent.
if anyone has anymore info on his issues with vision please let me know!

on the bright side of things even with is poor vision he is still able to eat, it just takes a while. its looking like he's going to live a nice life no matter what.
thanks to everyone who gave me their knowledge and advice

You said..."
he is still showing no interest in food. anyone know why that might be?"... And you said..."the swelling on his cheek has not progressed at all. not sure if I should do anything or just leave it?"...the two of these things might be going hand in hand. If his cheek is sore it might hurt to chew. I think you really need to look into the cheek swelling and ASAP so that if it's an infection it doesn't have more time to low it to become systemic.

Why do you think his vision is bad? Because he misses the insect when he shoots at it or why?

You said..."
he is still showing no interest in food. anyone know why that might be?"... And you said..."the swelling on his cheek has not progressed at all. not sure if I should do anything or just leave it?"...the two of these things might be going hand in hand. If his cheek is sore it might hurt to chew. I think you really need to look into the cheek swelling and ASAP so that if it's an infection it doesn't have more time to low it to become systemic.

Why do you think his vision is bad? Because he misses the insect when he shoots at it or why?
he does not shoot his tongue very far at all. maybe an inch. I basically feed his food directly to his mouth. a few months back he was shooting his tongue a t LITERALLY nothing. you can see a video of it linked earlier in this thread. that's how I know his vision is bad

also he has started heating pretty regularly the past week

Back
Top Bottom