• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Could use some help

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

Fractured

Hello and thank you for accepting me to community. I am a new chameleon owner and appreciate being welcomed, I am the owner of a veiled who's age I am unsure of. I believe to be a male as that's what I was told but no evidence provided. Her tank usually stays at about 75 and her humidity stays between 55 + 75 depending on the time of day. I have a fogger to help with humidity if need be and shedding. I also have a monsoon solo for misting when I'm at work periodically through the day and supplement with hand misting. She has not taken on the appearance of dehydration but I do not see her drink and it kind of worries me also is it normal for her vent to look like it's shedding first? I appreciate any assistance and I provided a picture of her home. 18 x 18 x 36 are her dimensions in a screened cage. Basking hits 89ish and shes housed with a bare hibiscus because shes consumed all the foliage. Theres also some pothos and spider plant in her tank too.

Attachments

• 16014038641572921026752315511781.jpg
    16014038641572921026752315511781.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 16014038845581394623725477872969.jpg
    16014038845581394623725477872969.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 71
Welcome to the forum!
Does your chameleon he tarsal spurs on the heels? Looks female to me.
https://www.adcham.com/html/husbandry/glossary/tarsalspur.html

What color are the urates? pure white or orange or with just a bit of orange?

Are you using the fogger at night?
Do you have a dripper?

What lights are you using for UVB and for basking?
Your basking temperature should be in the low 80'sF if it's a female and you will want to watch that you don't overfeed her because she will produce large clutches and likely die egg bound.

What specific supplements do you use and how often for each?

For veiled chameleons its recommended that you use real nontoxic well washed (both sides of the leaves) plants since most of them munch on vegetation.

How/what do you feed your insects?

Last edited:
First and foremost, this seems to be a female.
It is normal for you to not see your cham drink, a lot of owners never end up seeing their cham drink. Eyes don't look sunken in, so she looks hydrated.

Welcome to the forum!
Does your chameleon he tarsal spurs on the heels? Looks female to me.
https://www.adcham.com/html/husbandry/glossary/tarsalspur.html

What color are the urates? pure white or orange or with just a bit of orange?

Are you using the fogger at night?
Do you have a dripper?

What lights are you using for UVB and for basking?
Your basking temperature should be in the low 80'sF if it's a female and you will want to watch that you don't overfeed her because she will produce large clutches and likely die egg bound.

What specific supplements do you use and how often for each?

For veiled chameleons its recommended that you use real nontoxic well washed (both sides of the leaves) plants since most of them munch on vegetation.

How/what do you feed your insects?

Cockroaches crickets some black soldier fly larvae and hornworms make up a large part of her diet, her urates are white when I catch them, but I've noticed some that I did not see with some small orange spots. Her poop is solid and has a small white part, and she is regular. I have a reptisun 5.0 and a 60w basking. I have a dripper that runs down foliage into a container which I empty twice-daily her dripper also does not run at night but her fogger commonly does. I do wash her plants with water I was unsure what would be safe for her to be around so I've been using water and thorough cleaning without being overly invasive on her new home

I also use these. D3 2 a month and the others regularly (daily), leary of the zoomed due to hearing of high phosphates.

Attachments

• 16014052886581109782914182530380.jpg
    16014052886581109782914182530380.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 54
Is the UVB light the long linear one?

What do you feed to the insects? Do you gut load them?
You have a good selection of insects! How many are you feeding her a week? How often do you feed her?

When I said wash the plants...I just meant to wash the pesticides etc off them before you put them in her cage.

Is the UVB light the long linear one?

What do you feed to the insects? Do you gut load them?
You have a good selection of insects! How many are you feeding her a week? How often do you feed her?

When I said wash the plants...I just meant to wash the pesticides etc off them before you put them in her cage.
Oh. I grew thw hibiscus, i washed it but there should be nothing in it. Its organically grow, gut load insects w common veggy and i feed her daily, i feed her about 5 roaches n have some crickets (4 perhaps) as roaming snacks for her to hunt. Never more then that for fear of biting her

Theyre truly amazing, i enjoy her existence as i hope she enjoys mine. Was ready for the maintenance, i knew they could be alot. But i walked through a local pet shop and she came right up to me, i asked if i could hold her n they said thats not a thing. So i bought her and she came right out to me :)

She is plump and I do fear her laying a clutch but I provided the pot of soil from the hibiscus if she needs to, I hope it's comfortable enough for her though.

You said..."I feed her daily, i feed her about 5 roaches n have some crickets (4 perhaps) as roaming snacks for her to hunt. Never more then that for fear of biting her"...this is quite a bit to feed her daily. By her age she should only need to be fed every second or third day and only about 3 or 4 crickets (or equal calorie value in other insects.)

To keep crickets from biting her, you can leave a small amount of food for them in the cage.

You said..."I feed her daily, i feed her about 5 roaches n have some crickets (4 perhaps) as roaming snacks for her to hunt. Never more then that for fear of biting her"...this is quite a bit to feed her daily. By her age she should only need to be fed every second or third day and only about 3 or 4 crickets (or equal calorie value in other insects.)

To keep crickets from biting her, you can leave a small amount of food for them in the cage.
Solid, tyvm for this

Back
Top Bottom