AHHHH WHAT IS THIS HELP IDENTIFY!!!!

Beman

Social Media Manager
Staff member
So I was putting Beman back in his cage from being outside... And there was like saw dust on his pothos leaves. Upon closer inspection I found a hole in one of my branches. I do not know if this came out of the store bought willow branches from Michael's or the random ones that I pulled from my yard in N. CA.

But the hole was in the wood of the willow that I bought. I don't know if it was coming out or trying to get it... Ready to strip the cage and set the wood a blaze... Not happy that these are in my cage with him... Would feel a lot better if someone could identify it.

Anyone know what this is????

4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

The saw dust you see is their waste. They leave a powder leftover from the stuff they don't consume. As long as they're not ruining your home there's nothing to worry about. Probably came in on the wood.

Definitely a wood borer or powderpost beetle... they mess up wood, but are otherwise harmless. I've had one of my parrot stands (manzanita wood) get infested when I left it outside under a big tree in the summer several years ago.

If you're worried, you can always chuck the wood... totally fine, though!

Wood borers suck. I ended up with a bad infestation on that parrot tree, and had to pitch it.. such a shame, cause those things are expensive!

Yeah, the beetles should be safe Becca :)

I want to bake all the branches but the atrium is 30 inches wide and the branches are 29 inches and some longer... I can't fit anything that large into my oven. I don't know if I need to remove it all or what.

I want to bake all the branches but the atrium is 30 inches wide and the branches are 29 inches and some longer... I can't fit anything that large into my oven. I don't know if I need to remove it all or what.

You don't technically need to, per se. I only discarded mine because it was a serious infestation and I wasn't going to bring that nonsense inside (100+ boreholes!!!! :eek:). If it's only a couple, I wouldn't really worry about it. I'd say keep an eye out for more powder, and if it continues when you can talk about removing pieces

You don't technically need to, per se. I only discarded mine because it was a serious infestation and I wasn't going to bring that nonsense inside (100+ boreholes!!!! :eek:). If it's only a couple, I wouldn't really worry about it. I'd say keep an eye out for more powder, and if it continues when you can talk about removing pieces
Ok so what your saying is to stop freaking out.... :hilarious:

Back
Top Bottom