AHHH she ate a wasp!! is that bad??

Chill

Ah i dont know if any of you are bug people but im pretty sure its not good for a cham to eat a wasp...but maybe im wrong, but anyway my female jackson's ate a wasp and i dunno if should be worried at all?? any help??

I would think that any adverse reaction to eating a wasp would occur immediately (like the cham being stung by the wasp as it is being swallowed).
I'm not a bug expert, but I think they are more a risk to the cham because of their potential to sting the cham, rather than any inherent toxicity.

So if she is still ok after swallowing it, then she should be fine. That doesn't mean that wasps should be used as a feeder insect: there will always be a risk that she gets stung by one...

as far as I know that can't be good. I'd pick up a good bottle of hotshot if I were you and walk around the outskirts of your house to try to ensure that doesn't happen, if I wasp can get to your cham, you have to ask yourself what else can...I've lost multiple chams to daytime owl swoops

as far as I know that can't be good. I'd pick up a good bottle of hotshot if I were you and walk around the outskirts of your house to try to ensure that doesn't happen, if I wasp can get to your cham, you have to ask yourself what else can...I've lost multiple chams to daytime owl swoops

Seriously an owl man that's messed up

if I wasp can get to your cham, you have to ask yourself what else can...I've lost multiple chams to daytime owl swoops
I think this comment needs to be put into perspective... On any cage that has mesh/screen that is larger than flyscreen, insects will be able to get out, and IN. Wasps, moths, flies and other flying bugs would probably get through the mesh on most cages with larger mesh.
But an OWL, or any other bird? Well, that would only come from having an open door/roof on the cage.
I just don't see how a wasp getting into a cage has any connection to an OWL getting into the cage...

I'd pick up a good bottle of hotshot if I were you and walk around the outskirts of your house to try to ensure that doesn't happen
I've never used "Hotshot", but from what I understand it is a pesticide. I would not recommend to any chameleon keepers that they use any pesticides around their homes, and if they do I would caution them to be very vigilant about any insects getting into their cham enclosures (and certainly insist that they don't feed any bugs caught around their home to their chams).
If a keeper already has wasps getting into their cage, and then they go and use pesticides around their home, now they have the added risk that bugs (not just wasps) laced with insecticides get into their chameleon enclosure...

Anyone with a cage with screen big enough for bugs to get in isn't very smart unless they are housing indoors. I understand people have large mesh screens but if there is an insect problem, then they need fine mesh and I'm sure you'd agree. I said spray around his house with it, not spray his cage and his cham in the eyes. Bugs shot with that die immediately, no threat to ingest laced bugs, unless your talking about bugs that had pesticides sprayed on them in the ground. Most popular home and garden pesticides break down to carbon and oxygen over 24 hours, not hot shot though which is why you must be careful when putting it airborn, maybe you have a really small house but for the general population, treating the perimeter is an easy thing to do as thats where most wasps come from underneath your trim and fascia

I salute you for your efforts. A full grown wasp can and will climb into large mesh for water during droughts, which is why almost no one uses large square mesh keeps them outside

Birds are a huge problem here, they are lovely but terrorists. Hawks, falcons, owls, ospreys, bald eagles, vultures, and many other predatorial species live in the nature preserve across the street, I'd rather warn people of the existence of a threat than have a direct point regarding to wasps because it falls along the exact same lines of outside creatures harming your chameleon.

people take there chams and put them on plants all the time, these birds can hear the sound of your cham crawling from thousands of feet away if not miles

we are talking about things that come out of nature and hurt your chams, thus I give you the owl gods' answer to the rodent.

I never said an owl would get into the cage I said an owl would swoop a chameleon any chance he'd get and people need to be aware of this if they havn't known already just as people are aware that you waste peoples time

people like you make this forum a little less enjoyable, who wants to argue or discuss valid points?

Last edited:
Dankmeleon, I'm sorry if the tone of my post made it sound like I was attacking you personally, or chastising you for your posts.
Unlike the owls, I promise, I'm not out here to ruin your life ;)

Back
Top Bottom