Ahh the dreaded silkworm questions...

CarlyMK

Hello! I have gone through probably 20 threads created on this site re:silkworm raising. I have a couple questions if someone has a moment to help!
I have right now 30 silkworms, all different sizes, I'm planning on breeding them. A couple of them are in their molting stages, which as I understand is when they stand up and look like they're praying.. I'm feeding off 15 to my chams and using the other 15 to breed. They are separated into different bins right now, sitting on paper towel. They also have silkworm chow.

1. How much should they be fed? I put a 1cm/1cm cube cut up into each bin, is this enough?

2. Should I be adding humidity to the bins? maybe spray a bit of water on the corner of paper towel?

3. How can I speed up their growth? Is the consumption of food the only way to do it, or does temperature help as well?

4.Should I give them something to climb?

5. The Silks in the bin I'm planning on breeding have toilet paper rolls available to spin in, will this work?

Thank you in advance! Hope these questions eventually help others as well.:)

Hello! I have gone through probably 20 threads created on this site re:silkworm raising. I have a couple questions if someone has a moment to help!
I have right now 30 silkworms, all different sizes, I'm planning on breeding them. A couple of them are in their molting stages, which as I understand is when they stand up and look like they're praying.. I'm feeding off 15 to my chams and using the other 15 to breed. They are separated into different bins right now, sitting on paper towel. They also have silkworm chow.

1. How much should they be fed? I put a 1cm/1cm cube cut up into each bin, is this enough?

I use strips about 2.5 cm long, very thin, and not very wide. Gives them more surface to eat from.

2. Should I be adding humidity to the bins? maybe spray a bit of water on the corner of paper towel?

I never add water, it isn't good for the worms

3. How can I speed up their growth? Is the consumption of food the only way to do it, or does temperature help as well?

I always just use food, the more they eat the faster they grow. I keep mine on fine mesh, it let's the poop fall through.

4.Should I give them something to climb?

I don't but see no reason you can't. But beware the will crawl out given a chance.

5. The Silks in the bin I'm planning on breeding have toilet paper rolls available to spin in, will this work?

Yes it should work well, that is what I use. You know you don't feed them once you put them in to spin correct?

Thank you in advance! Hope these questions eventually help others as well.:)

Hope all this helps.

Thank you very much, it helped a lot. The largest of the worms are in the bin with the toilet paper rolls, until I get a good idea how large they are when they go to spin I'll keep feeding them until they do so. Thanks again!!!!

Back
Top Bottom