Aggressive baby panther

Cianb

Hi everyone a couple of months ago I got a new baby panther chameleon I did 10+ pages of research on them he was ok being handled at the start. Then 2 weeks ago I dropped him (in his tank ) about 3 cm of the ground and ever since then he’s been very aggressive every time I try to handle him he opens his mouth hisses then try’s to strike please could anyone help
Thank you .

Chams aren’t ment to be handled but if you insist regain his trust by hand feeding. Teach him to associate your hands with positive experiences.

Chams aren’t ment to be handled but if you insist regain his trust by hand feeding. Teach him to associate your hands with positive experiences.
Yeah I heard about that with the no handle thing but every time I go next to him with some food he runs of back to his leaves
Thank you for your response

Yeah I heard about that with the no handle thing but every time I go next to him with some food he runs of back to his leaves
Thank you for your response

It will take time, especially if he is spooked by what happened. What type of enclosure are you using?

It will take time, especially if he is spooked by what happened. What type of enclosure are you using?
What do you mean ? It’s quite a large one for a baby but he’s going so well in it he’s currently sitting in the cool side but I don’t know the exact size the guy who I got the tank from said it is an ok size

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 128
What do you mean ? It’s quite a large one for a baby but he’s going so well in it he’s currently sitting in the cool side but I don’t know the exact size the guy who I got the tank from said it is an ok size

What type of enclosure? Is it an actual tank or screen? Are you reaching down into the enclosure to feed him or at eye level. If you come at him from above it will be seen as a threat.

What type of enclosure? Is it an actual tank or screen? Are you reaching down into the enclosure to feed him or at eye level. If you come at him from above it will be seen as a threat.
Yeah I’m reaching down to feed him

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 100
aw poor baby. I feel your pain. I have a young veiled and I'm pretty sure she hates me:LOL:
I have tried the hand feeding, but she just hisses and lunges at me. Your baby is super cute. Good luck gaining trust. It's something I have been working on too.
But with opening the tank from the top, it will feel threatened and feel like prey. The screen cages that open from the front are better for that. And its best to keep them high up as you can get. On a dresser or stand. Since they live in the trees naturally, they feel safer up higher. And the screen cages are better for respiratory issues. The glass makes stale air and can be back for them. Good luck:)

aw poor baby. I feel your pain. I have a young veiled and I'm pretty sure she hates me:LOL:
I have tried the hand feeding, but she just hisses and lunges at me. Your baby is super cute. Good luck gaining trust. It's something I have been working on too.
But with opening the tank from the top, it will feel threatened and feel like prey. The screen cages that open from the front are better for that. And its best to keep them high up as you can get. On a dresser or stand. Since they live in the trees naturally, they feel safer up higher. And the screen cages are better for respiratory issues. The glass makes stale air and can be back for them. Good luck:)
Thank you I hope it gains my trust soon :D

I was recommended to put a soft blanket down where you plan to hold them especially when they are young or flighty. Always make sure to support them as much as you can and remember it takes time and work .

i try to touch him or put my finger next to him at least 3 times a day shall i increase it
...No....Someone else recommended to only handle him when you are going to do something good (eg. take out for sun, give treat, etc.). Sticking your finger in there every few hours is going to do absolutely nothing except stress him out since all he has to associate your hand with is you dropping him. Hold a hornworm up far away from his cage and make it so he has to climb on to your hand to get to it.

Back
Top Bottom