Age & Sex?

GTsJava

Hello, I've never posted on here, so I apologize for being all over the place or confusing...but I've read and learned so much from everyone here and everyone's opinions. This pic is Java, our veild chameleon. I was wondering if anyone could possibly tell me the sex/age? We were told a male, and he was purchased in February of this year. I've read and seen pics on here, and figured he was male, and about 4-5mths?? I just wanna be sure I'm somewhat accurate. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20220713_104553.jpg
    20220713_104553.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 70
Hi there. Can you get a pic of the back of the back feet. Males have tarsal spurs... Looks like the image below except on your baby they would be smaller.

Younger I would say some where between 4-5 months... How many inches long is the body?

Attachments

• Tarsal spur1.jpg
    Tarsal spur1.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 68
  • tarsal Spur2.jpg
    tarsal Spur2.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 72
Thank you for the likes/responses. I know these aren't the best pics, but he just wasn't having it, lol. When me and my husband purchased him, they told us they didn't condone breeding, so they only sell males, but....when I called to be sure, they said he was too young to determine.(🤔🙄🤕)Not saying they're lying, but I know people that have, do, and does own a Veileds would be able to answer my questions more accurately. Thank you again for any and all responses.

Attachments

• 20220713_165834.jpg
    20220713_165834.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 20220713_165514.jpg
    20220713_165514.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 66
Hi and welcome! :) You do have a beautiful little lady. However, she is looking quite plump and is showing her patterns so I’m a bit concerned she may be gravid already. First thing you’ll need to do is prepare a lay bin for her. Use a plastic bin that is at least 12” long and wide. Drill some tiny holes in the bottom for drainage. Fill to about 5-6” deep with washed play sand. It needs to be kept moist enough to hold a tunnel without collapsing. Provide some stable ways for her to get in/out and keep it as a permanent part of her enclosure. When she needs it, she’ll find it. I’ll be back in a bit with much more info for you.
56C09008-7F14-475F-8920-F1E5A3AED4F1.jpeg

How old did they say she was when you got her? I’m thinking she has to be at least 6 months old. How long ago did she go from being a solid green color to having a pattern and other colors? As our little girls are becoming sexually mature, they start showing their pretty colors of teal, yellow or orange and their patterns. Usually at the same time they’ll become restless…moving all over their enclosure all day. I think of it as they’ve gotten all prettied up and are now looking for a boy. This receptive period can last a few weeks. The colors and patterns will remain but they’ll settle down. As time passes, she’ll start getting plump and maybe even lumpy. Anytime from a few weeks after being receptive and on she can lay eggs. As that time gets near, her appetite may decrease and she may start looking around at the bottom of her enclosure. One day you’ll find she’s in her lay bin and has started digging. She will need absolute privacy for this. If she is disturbed or sees anyone, she may stop digging and could become eggbound. It’s best to cover the visible parts of her enclosure. I use an old sheet that I’ve made little peek holes in so I can discretely monitor progress. Stick to your usual light schedule. If you manually mist, set up a dripper instead (not over the bin though). She may dig several holes until she’s happy with one. Then she’ll dig all the way down, turn around and lay her eggs. When done, she’ll carefully cover all of her holes and return to her basking area. The whole process can take a couple of days and she may sleep in her tunnel.
Once she is all done, she’ll be dirty, much thinner and hungry. For the next couple of days you’ll feed and hydrate her very well. Hornworms and silkworms are awesome to give at this time. Then you’ll start her on a regimen to reduce her egg production, which will help lengthen her life span.
You’ll want to start with keeping basking temp no higher than 80. This will help keep her metabolism on the slower side of normal. Then you’ll want to feed her about 3-4 medium sized feeders, 3 days a week (plus occasional treats). While it is not an exact science, it should help reduce the number of eggs produced, if not the frequency. I have 2 veiled ladies and one has had one year in between laying and the other hasn’t laid since Feb 2020. They still will occasionally have some signs of being receptive, but obviously don’t always produce eggs.
Making sure all of your husbandry is as perfect as possible will help prevent the risks of complications. If you’d like a husbandry review, just say the word. :)

Thank you everyone for the replies!!! We've got him/her in February, and I witnessed the first shedding(since we've gotten him/her) about 4wks ago....very very restless, didn't sleep much, and just all over the place. Sleep pattern was off, eating wasn't best but did slow. I can say though that after the shedding, everything went back to normal. She was a darkish color, then came to a beautiful green(crazy as this sounds....baby green?) I wasn't told about how old Java was, we looked up the growth chart, last we measured Java was around 7-8in tip to tip. Im trying not to be confusing, but I've been wondering, and been confused too. Thank you again for any n all replies!!!!!!

If she is only measuring 7-8 inches total but you brought her home in february.... She looks at least 2 months old in that pic based on her casque size... So that is pushing her up to roughly 7 months old. But you said she only shed once recently? She is not growing much. How much is she eating each day and what are you feeding her?

I give her mostly crickets, some dubias, meal/wax worms(treats, not daily). She eats about 10-12 small/medium size crickets per day. Im glad I asked this forum for help, I feel like I was mislead about alot of info. Thank you for the respones!!

I give her mostly crickets, some dubias, meal/wax worms(treats, not daily). She eats about 10-12 small/medium size crickets per day. Im glad I asked this forum for help, I feel like I was mislead about alot of info. Thank you for the respones!!
Have you gotten a fecal run at a vet to ensure she does not have parasites? I would expect her to be larger since she is getting adequate food intake.

There is a ton to know about chams... It is very misleading when you buy one at a store and they say a few items to buy... But you do not get the entire picture of their needs. I have been there. It can be overwhelming at first but once you get all the basic husbandry down it becomes quite easy. :)

Yes, it does!! Every since I've been on this forum and reading/learning from it, I believe that Java is improving. I haven't had Java tested, but that will be on my list most definitely!! I had alot of issues with the lighting/eating habits in the beginning, but I've fixed those issues and when I did....BOOM. lol. Eating, sleeping habits, water, mistings has been going very well. Looks like I've got some work to do, and I'll post some more pics when Java is relaxed for better color results. Thank you again everyone, for the amazing info and responses!!!! This forum is amazing!!!🐢🦎🐍

Yes, it does!! Every since I've been on this forum and reading/learning from it, I believe that Java is improving. I haven't had Java tested, but that will be on my list most definitely!! I had alot of issues with the lighting/eating habits in the beginning, but I've fixed those issues and when I did....BOOM. lol. Eating, sleeping habits, water, mistings has been going very well. Looks like I've got some work to do, and I'll post some more pics when Java is relaxed for better color results. Thank you again everyone, for the amazing info and responses!!!! This forum is amazing!!!🐢🦎🐍
Tell me about the issues with lighting/eating you were having... This may be why she is smaller. If UVB was incorrect when she was younger this can impact growth and appetite.

I would suggest doing a husbandry review. Just so we can go over every detail. If you are interested copy and paste the form below into your reply and then fill it out with detail. Include pics of the entire cage as well. And if you have more pics of Java.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Thank you everyone for the replies!!! We've got him/her in February, and I witnessed the first shedding(since we've gotten him/her) about 4wks ago....very very restless, didn't sleep much, and just all over the place. Sleep pattern was off, eating wasn't best but did slow. I can say though that after the shedding, everything went back to normal. She was a darkish color, then came to a beautiful green(crazy as this sounds....baby green?) I wasn't told about how old Java was, we looked up the growth chart, last we measured Java was around 7-8in tip to tip. Im trying not to be confusing, but I've been wondering, and been confused too. Thank you again for any n all replies!!!!!!
That restlessness sounds like a receptive period. Do get a lay bin prepared for her asap.

Back
Top Bottom