Age of Veiled Chameleon

Jessicajalynn

Hi! I bought my new little chameleon 2 days ago. I was wondering the approximate age? I’m also pretty sure it’s a female but i would love verification!

Attachments

• 38F92553-314C-4228-932D-48D794A0A6DF.jpeg
    38F92553-314C-4228-932D-48D794A0A6DF.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 100
Welcome to the forums! I’m horrible with age, so don’t take it to the bank, but I would say between 3-5 months old. Could you fill out the ask for help form in my signature below and post a pic of the back of her back feet and her enclosure, as well, please? Do you have a lay bin, if she is a she, she can develop eggs as early as 4-6 months old.

Hi! I bought my new little chameleon 2 days ago. I was wondering the approximate age? I’m also pretty sure it’s a female but i would love verification!
It was difficult to get a picture of the back of her feet as she is still shy and scared of her new home. I had to screenshot from a video i took just now. I was assuming she was female and now I’m almost positive she is looking at that close up.

Attachments

• 1B439A71-5D3A-4234-841A-DEEE8EA44D59.png
    1B439A71-5D3A-4234-841A-DEEE8EA44D59.png
    968.2 KB · Views: 90
Yes, female, could you fill out this form and post a pic of her enclosure please? https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled Chameleon, female, not completely sure of age, and been in my care for 2 days.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I’ve only handed her on her first day home. Haven’t touched her since then.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Crickets, adding about 3 in the enclosure a day as she is still getting comfortable eating and drinking in her new home. I planned on starting to gut-load them with potatoes and apples when i get more crickets today
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I dust crickets with reptivite
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use a dripper from zoomed and mist more than 3 times a day for about a minute each time. I haven’t caught her drinking yet because when i watch her she gets nervous and wants to stop what she’s doing.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? When i got her she dropped in the box and the urine was white. Today she had droppings again but i only had solid brown which I’m confused on what that means. She has not been tested yet.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Not sure as i just got her from Petco.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? All screen, and dimensions are 16x16x20. Plan on upgrading soon when she starts growing as she’s the tiniest little thing right now.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I use the 5.0 UVB light from zoomed and the ceramic emitter from from zoomed. I have the ceramic emitter on 24/7 and the uvb light on from 7 am until around 7 pm. I let her sleep through the night until the light gets turned back on. It’s the best schedule with school right now.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? The temperature during the day for basking is usually around 70-80. The night temperature always falls around 70. I use a temp and humidity double gauge to measure this.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? humidity is usually 40-45 which I’ve been misting a bit more to get it up higher. I use the same device for temp.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I am not using live plants but with more research that I’ve made the past few days I’m planning on getting some live plants this weekend to make a mixture of live and fake.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? My cage is on top of my dresser. Opposite side of the window and no fans or air vents around.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? I am in Ohio.

Current Problem - Trying to find ways to get the humidity up and just needed verification of her gender and age.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled Chameleon, female, not completely sure of age, and been in my care for 2 days.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I’ve only handed her on her first day home. Haven’t touched her since then.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Crickets, adding about 3 in the enclosure a day as she is still getting comfortable eating and drinking in her new home. I planned on starting to gut-load them with potatoes and apples when i get more crickets today
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I dust crickets with reptivite
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use a dripper from zoomed and mist more than 3 times a day for about a minute each time. I haven’t caught her drinking yet because when i watch her she gets nervous and wants to stop what she’s doing.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? When i got her she dropped in the box and the urine was white. Today she had droppings again but i only had solid brown which I’m confused on what that means. She has not been tested yet.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Not sure as i just got her from Petco.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? All screen, and dimensions are 16x16x20. Plan on upgrading soon when she starts growing as she’s the tiniest little thing right now.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I use the 5.0 UVB light from zoomed and the ceramic emitter from from zoomed. I have the ceramic emitter on 24/7 and the uvb light on from 7 am until around 7 pm. I let her sleep through the night until the light gets turned back on. It’s the best schedule with school right now.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? The temperature during the day for basking is usually around 70-80. The night temperature always falls around 70. I use a temp and humidity double gauge to measure this.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? humidity is usually 40-45 which I’ve been misting a bit more to get it up higher. I use the same device for temp.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I am not using live plants but with more research that I’ve made the past few days I’m planning on getting some live plants this weekend to make a mixture of live and fake.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? My cage is on top of my dresser. Opposite side of the window and no fans or air vents around.

Current Problem - Trying to find ways to get the humidity up and just needed verification of her gender and age.
Good job on not handling! Chams are like fish, look but don’t touch. At that age, feed her as many items as she will eat. Every feeder needs to be gutloaded! Buy a quality commercial gutload like Pangea, Cricket Crack, Repashy, or Mazuri, and/or use organic fresh fruits and vegetables (there’s a list of ones to use here under gutload in food and nutrition in the resources tab). Make sure every feeder is completely, but lightly, coated in supplement right before you feed. Use phosphorous free calcium without D3 every feeding and a multivitamin with D3 (like Zoo Med Reptivite with D3) every 2 weeks. When you upgrade, make sure the cage is a minimum of 18” by 18” by 36” tall, preferably 2’ by 2’ by 4’ though, and preferably all screen (if you upgrade to a 2’ by 2’ by 4’ tall cage, get a 10.0 linear bulb). Is your uvb linear (the shape of a wooden dowel) or a compact coil? Put the CHE on the same schedule as your uvb. You shouldn’t need a nighttime heat source unless it drops below 60*F, I believe. The veiled care sheet here has info on food quantity, temps, lay bins, and more! You need a temp drop at night. Her basking spot should be at 85*F. Live plants will help with humidity, along with wrapping two or three sides of her cage. FL Chams has a cham-safe plant list on their website. Get a proper lay bin in her cage. Could you post a pic of her enclosure, please?

I'm with @Brodybreaux25 4 months and female def, as for humidity, mist daily at least 3 times and once a day for about 5-10 mins to simulate rain fall and ur humidity should rise, how long do you mist her? her humidity should be around 50-60

Edit: also make sure your feeding variety not just crickets like @ERKleRose said, superworms, types of roaches, BSF, hornworms and silk worms are all great feeders, along with that make sure shes eating, maybe try cup feeding when shes settled, then move up to hand feeding.

Yes, female, could you fill out this form and post a pic of her enclosure please? https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

Cage Info:

I'm with @Brodybreaux25 4 months and female def, as for humidity, mist daily at least 3 times and once a day for about 5-10 mins to simulate rain fall and ur humidity should rise, how long do you mist her? her humidity should be around 50-60
Yes, she should be misted for at least two minutes each time, but preferably for 5 minutes

Still in the process of adding plants, doing that this weekend!
Add more branches and vines, mostly horizontal, everywhere throughout her cage. Invest in an automated mister (MistKing) and either a t5HO or T8 linear uvb bulb and fixture. Get a uvb strength of either 5.0 (Zoo Med) or 6% (Arcadia), and when you upgrade (hopefully soon), if you get a 2’ by 2’ by 4’ tall cage, use a 10.0 bulb (Zoo Med). If you go bigger than that, the strength of the uvb depends on how densely planted it is

Add more branches and vines, mostly horizontal, everywhere throughout her cage. Invest in an automated mister (MistKing) and either a t5HO or T8 linear uvb bulb and fixture. Get a uvb strength of either 5.0 (Zoo Med) or 6% (Arcadia), and when you upgrade (hopefully soon), if you get a 2’ by 2’ by 4’ tall cage, use a 10.0 bulb (Zoo Med). If you go bigger than that, the strength of the uvb depends on how densely planted it is
I have the uvb light as a 5.0 right now. I plan on getting more things for her to climb through this weekend! I work at pet supplies plus and since we don’t carry chameleons we don’t have many plants and branches so I’ve been going to other stores to get the extra supplies i need. And for coating the crickets, is the multivitamin powder good for every day coating?

Edit: also make sure your feeding variety not just crickets like @ERKleRose said, superworms, types of roaches, BSF, hornworms and silk worms are all great feeders, along with that make sure shes eating, maybe try cup feeding when shes settled, then move up to hand feeding.
Oh yes! I use mealworms. She hasn’t been interested though so i will have to get something else for her to eat on the side.

cut the meal worms from her diet immediately those will cause impaction in her digestive system, try some silk worms they are great for chams and an amazing source of protein
Oh no! Okay, thanks for telling me! Thankfully she never ate any of them. It was recommended by the pet store worker.. note the sarcasm when i say that im glad they know what they’re talking about. Wow haha

Back
Top Bottom