Afraid Of Heights?

Sidney Johnson

Now ya, I know hes not afraid of heights, but he sure seems like it. My little guys name is Phil and hes staying on the ground way to often. usually hes on the ground the whole day but every once and a while he will climb just high enough for his tail not to touch the ground and then go back down, he is a girl, i call him a he because he wants me to. But because hes a girl I put out about 8 inches of dirt for him to dig in, but he just climbed down from the pot i put it in. I really don't know what to do. He also hasn't shed in a few months witch scares me and he eats a lot less than he used to. He is about 6 months old.

The waterfall in the picture is rarely filled and when it is it is only on for a few hours. So there should be no bacteria buildup. I clean his cage by dissembling, washing it in a bleach and water mix (1 part bleach, and 40 parts water), I scrub and rinse until there is no bleach smell and i resemble. I feed him 3 crickets in the morning and usually about 4 in the afternoon. I dust the crickets with calcium without D3. I use a uvb lamp and a heat lamp for about 11 hours a day. Where he usually sits, it gets up to about 85 degrees. But he goes down sometimes around 75. I do mist the tank as often as I can (4-8 times a day). IMG_0441.JPG IMG_0443.JPG IMG_0442.JPG

A chameleon being on the ground isn't a good sign.
In case of a female it could be she's looking for a place to lay eggs so a proper layingbin should be provided.

If I were you I would make a vet appointment, if she's sick she needs help if she has eggs she could already be eggbound.

Now ya, I know hes not afraid of heights, but he sure seems like it. My little guys name is Phil and hes staying on the ground way to often. usually hes on the ground the whole day but every once and a while he will climb just high enough for his tail not to touch the ground and then go back down, he is a girl, i call him a he because he wants me to. But because hes a girl I put out about 8 inches of dirt for him to dig in, but he just climbed down from the pot i put it in. I really don't know what to do. He also hasn't shed in a few months witch scares me and he eats a lot less than he used to. He is about 6 months old.

The waterfall in the picture is rarely filled and when it is it is only on for a few hours. So there should be no bacteria buildup. I clean his cage by dissembling, washing it in a bleach and water mix (1 part bleach, and 40 parts water), I scrub and rinse until there is no bleach smell and i resemble. I feed him 3 crickets in the morning and usually about 4 in the afternoon. I dust the crickets with calcium without D3. I use a uvb lamp and a heat lamp for about 11 hours a day. Where he usually sits, it gets up to about 85 degrees. But he goes down sometimes around 75. I do mist the tank as often as I can (4-8 times a day).View attachment 212925 View attachment 212923 View attachment 212924
100% agree with Remkon.

If she is always on the ground or right above it and that’s 85 degrees how hot is it at the top of the viv?

Is this a boy or a girl? The OP at the top is confusing. Can you provide clear pictures of the back hind legs and post them?

It is a girl and like I stated I did supply a laying bin but she just climbed down from that. The weird thing is she is brown unless he’s on the ground. I also played a heater both on the ground and at the top so he’s warm at the bottom.

You can play all the little word games you want in your head and your house but if your going to come here asking for help then you need to use the proper pronouns. Males and females require very different care and all your doing muddying up the waters.

The chameleon we are discussing here is a female.

It is a girl and like I stated I did supply a laying bin but she just climbed down from that. The weird thing is she is brown unless he’s on the ground. I also played a heater both on the ground and at the top so he’s warm at the bottom.
But because hes a girl I put out about 8 inches of dirt for him to dig in, but he just climbed down from the pot i put it in.
8 inches of soil doesn't mean laying-bin and doesn't have to be a proper one at that, the soil needs to be strong enough to tunnel in. (https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/)

If you have a layingbin you also don't want the bottom to be heated since the soil will dry out faster and will not make a proper digging substance.

Back
Top Bottom