Affordable bioactive baby caging?

Uri

Avid Member
So I’m going to start getting baby cages but they are expensive I can’t really go with the butterfly net cages because well I live in northern indiana where it gets extremely dry in the summer and winter with the ac and heater screen is out of the question for hatchlings with my female carpet chameleon getting closer to laying by the day. Soil bottoms help with humidity and with babies so small the little springtails are a great extra food source and I like having grass seedlings as it’s great foleage for babies and small chameleons I was looking at dw Gecko cages as the most affordable professional cages but I plan on doing this regularly as a hobby and want something long term if anyone has any recommendations for good solid sided cages for the long term that are affordable and can be planted

Attachments

• 3A01BA57-FE1B-49C3-95D7-55BEA69D6E1D.png
    3A01BA57-FE1B-49C3-95D7-55BEA69D6E1D.png
    274.6 KB · Views: 64
@JacksJill can you post your baby bins.

@javadi
I’ve seen jacksjills blog on her baby bins and if I may have to go with them and slowly transition onto caging similar to the ones I showed or dragonstrand nursery cages as I do like soil floors since it helps me retain a little more humidity with such a dry environment and provides an extra source of food with the springtails and inverts in the soil

Mine are not bio-active unless you count the occasional fungus gnat. You could cut out more of the bottom and use a deeper tray of some kind in place of the 2 pot saucers and pots that I use.

So I’m going to start getting baby cages but they are expensive I can’t really go with the butterfly net cages because well I live in northern indiana where it gets extremely dry in the summer and winter with the ac and heater screen is out of the question for hatchlings with my female carpet chameleon getting closer to laying by the day. Soil bottoms help with humidity and with babies so small the little springtails are a great extra food source and I like having grass seedlings as it’s great foleage for babies and small chameleons I was looking at dw Gecko cages as the most affordable professional cages but I plan on doing this regularly as a hobby and want something long term if anyone has any recommendations for good solid sided cages for the long term that are affordable and can be planted
I'm not entirely sure if you are asking for baby enclosure recommendations or enclosures for bioactive in general. However, you can convert any cheap screen enclosure into a bioactive, near solid-sided enclosure by simply adding coroplast or other plastic where needed. You can then add corn fabric to the bottom to hold the dirt in. If this sounds good to you I can link to a podcast where this is discussed more in-depth. Otherwise, I use tamura designs enclosures for babies. They're not cheaper than what you link above, but they last forever so the cost doesn't really matter as much in the long-run. They're great. Leap enclosures are also really nice and bioactive ready, but I think you already have some of those. @Kaizen also has a great DIY setup for a million jacksonii babies that if I recall, was very cost-effective. Otherwise, bins work well too.

Back
Top Bottom