Advice

Haleyr220

Hey guys!
New chameleon owner here. I spent days and hours of researching before I got my veiled chameleon.

1. Terrarium:
I was going to get a Thrive Tropical Reptile Terrarium kit 30 gallon, this was glass. Upon tons of research and from the store clerks, all advised me to go with a screen cage. I ended up purchasing the Zoo Med Repti Breeze cage that came with the basic essentials. I did buy night bulbs since it only came with day ones. He is a little guy, so they told me I would eventually need to buy x-large sooner so to get the extra large one. Which was all they had. They had no tree branches to purchase and a lot of stores near me don't have them to buy for a chameleon. I got a couple that are smaller and plan on shopping more.

2. Water dripper:
I bought the Thrive water dripping Tree. It came broke and the store was now closed. It was the last in stock and no other stores have any. I'm freaking out.

3. Misting machine:
I bought the Thrive misting machine, but it came with suction cups for a glass container... This is a screened cage, I don't see anyway to put this on the cage to help mist while I'm away at work. IF there is a way to get it to stay in my Zoo Med screened cage, please let me know. Also, if there is a way and the cage is screed, this mist is going to get literally everywhere and possibly get the outlet wet, which is not good. I heard that plastic wrap on the outside around helps, but again, I don't want that to melt or catch fire.

4. Outlets and plug ins:
It says that plugging heat lamps and what not into extension chords can be hazardous and can overheat. So how in the world do I plug in the 2 lights need plugged in taking up both outlet spots, and the water dripper?

5. My chameleon's color:
He is a little guy, the store had him for 4 months, so I imagine he's about 6 months give or take. But he has turned this dark camouflaged color once last night and then again when I went home during lunch today to spray the cage and feed him. Every website says the color means something different... One says it means he's absorbing light, another says he's excited and wants to hunt (hungry), and another says he is super stressed out.
NOTE: I have had him for about 24 hours and he is mostly green/blue or pale green/blue

Attachments

• srhrshaehg.jpg
    srhrshaehg.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 68
  • fjfgshsdghd.jpg
    fjfgshsdghd.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 65
Fill this out to help with setup and make sure it's right

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Attachments

• chameleon-food.jpg
    chameleon-food.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Chameleon-Plants-061321-scaled-300x388.jpg
    Chameleon-Plants-061321-scaled-300x388.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 68
  • chameleon-gutload.jpg
    chameleon-gutload.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_20220627-120844.png
    Screenshot_20220627-120844.png
    704 KB · Views: 71
Water dripper:
I bought the Thrive water dripping Tree. It came broke and the store was now closed. It was the last in stock and no other stores have any. I'm freaking out.
You do not want a recirculating water source. Buying or making your own dripper that you have to refill after all the water drips out is what you want. You want your main water source to be misting, with dripping and fogging (if conditions are right) as additional ones if you want/need to. Return the Thrive dripper.
Misting machine:
I bought the Thrive misting machine, but it came with suction cups for a glass container... This is a screened cage, I don't see anyway to put this on the cage to help mist while I'm away at work. IF there is a way to get it to stay in my Zoo Med screened cage, please let me know. Also, if there is a way and the cage is screed, this mist is going to get literally everywhere and possibly get the outlet wet, which is not good. I heard that plastic wrap on the outside around helps, but again, I don't want that to melt or catch fire.
Returb the Thrive missing machine, as well. Use a hand pumped pressure sprayer/mister until you can buy either a Climist or MistKing misting system. You'll need to hand mist the entire enclosure, especially the plants, while not directly missing your guy, for at least 2-5 minutes each time, at least twice a day (around lights on and lights off), with more mistings later in the day as it gets cooler if needed.
Outlets and plug ins:
It says that plugging heat lamps and what not into extension chords can be hazardous and can overheat. So how in the world do I plug in the 2 lights need plugged in taking up both outlet spots, and the water dripper?
You'll want to use a surge protector extension cord into a grounded outlet, protected from water spray and with a drip loop. I use coroplast and expanded PVC sheets to cover the backs of my cages to prevent water spraying outside of the cage!
My chameleon's color:
He is a little guy, the store had him for 4 months, so I imagine he's about 6 months give or take. But he has turned this dark camouflaged color once last night and then again when I went home during lunch today to spray the cage and feed him. Every website says the color means something different... One says it means he's absorbing light, another says he's excited and wants to hunt (hungry), and another says he is super stressed out.
NOTE: I have had him for about 24 hours and he is mostly green/blue or pale green/blue
It could be a number of things, most likely stress, though. Do you have an experienced chameleon vet to take him to for a check-up? Also, does he have tarsal spurs?

Sorry, I know this is a lot of info and overwhelming, but if you could possibly post a pic of his entire cage, too, it's be much appreciated! Also, besides getting a T5 HO UVB light, you'll need a plain white light baking bulb, as well. Let us know if you want links!

Back
Top Bottom