Advice

Bearded-Dragon or Cham?

• Total voters

Hamza2006

I hope you all remember Harab...
I feel a bit better now (still miss her though).
I've been considering to take care of a reptile once more.
I heard that bearded-dragons are easy to care for and enjoy handling...
Should I get a bearded-dragon?
I would get another cham but I don't have space for a cage.
I love chams but I kinda feel I should get a bearded-dragon.
Anyone here know how to care for one?

I would say a bearded dragon is easier and certainly are known for easier temperments, but they also have their own requirements -- including a large enclosure. They'll need the same space, 2x2x4, as a chameleon but it will be lengthwise, so the footprint will be larger.

They'll eat invertebrates and veg. I think with getting reptiles it's important to have some money saved up and a good vet lined up.

I would say a bearded dragon is easier and certainly are known for easier temperments, but they also have their own requirements -- including a large enclosure. They'll need the same space, 2x2x4, as a chameleon but it will be lengthwise, so the footprint will be larger.

They'll eat invertebrates and veg. I think with getting reptiles it's important to have some money saved up and a good vet lined up.
Can they be free-ranged/cageless?

Can they be free-ranged/cageless?

The part about free-ranging that is tricky is making sure their basking/heat needs are met. I, personally, would not free-range as a constant. That is not to say it can't be done -- but if this is your first time keeping I would suggest taking a tried and true method and learning from there. Maybe in time, you could set up a free-range.

Also -- to be honest -- I would not free-range in a house with young children or young adults. Too much could go wrong. If you free-ranged all th etime the risk of losing him would be real since they are ground creatures. If you had a smaller enclosure but let the beardy out ALL day, maybe -- but then you would need to be sure they have the opportunity to bask. They also are little "Bathers" and like to soak.

I would strongly suggest fully researching the needs of any animal which you are interested in and make sure that you will be able to easily meet all of those needs and make your decision based on that. You went through a lot with Harab and it was a painful and sad experience. You don’t want to set yourself up for a future similar situation.

Great news!
Unlike most reptile-necessities beardie tanks and other stuff are sold in my region.
Which means it will be easy for me to prepare...

If you are leaning toward a beardie then that's the way I would go. Do your homework and research as much as possible as they do require care that differs from a cham. I would not recommend free range but as others have said; "they are easy to handle "

I think Chameleons are way cooler than bearded dragons BUT I am jealous of my friends with bearded dragons because they seem to have it easier and get to handle them without causing stress.

When I go to petco... yeah I know not saying id buy from them @_@ .. but when I see those itty bitty bearded dragons it totally makes me need to restrain myself from just snatching one lol they are quite adorbs.

Back
Top Bottom