Advice

Hi

I bought a veiled chameleon a week past Saturday, when i got him home i let him settle a bit before feeding him when i did put in a locust he launched forward to get it but with his mouth not his tongue, he missed it and just gave up to the point of the locust walked on top of him.

He then just gave up going for anything, I know chameleons are famous for sulking when they have been moved so thought nothing of it but by Wednesday was starting to worry i contacted the seller who said there as very sulky when moved etc but to try wax worms which i did and he eat 4 in as many hours but again no tongue just grabbed from forceps with his mouth. And hasn't eaten again since, yesterday put in a dusted locust he came running to get it but again used his mouth and again missed and gave up.

He is drinking and is in the near same set up as my other chameleon apart from she is mesh but he is in a terrarium.

I've read on here can be calcium deficiency stopping his tongue from coming out but how can i fix that if he won't take dusted food?

Other factors are he was apprently born in august. But has been kept in tank in the pet shop and pretty much left and not handled so becomes aggressive when ever i open the door (he has gotten better)

Any help is greatly appreciated

Hi! Please fill out the form below. Please include photos of the enclosure and the chameleon, it will greatly help us help you.

It is very concerning that he won't/can't use his tongue. More details will help us give you clearer suggestions.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

• Your Chameleon - veiled male chameleon, lady said he hatched August last year. Had him 9days
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

• Intially once a day while he was in his tank cause of the aggression and not to stress him. Last few days 2-3 times a day and he's more confident climbing up my arm
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

• Initially locusts, then mealworms then wax worms. He has eaten to my knowledge 3 locusts and 4 wax worms. Locusts were fed bug grub and kale, worms kale.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

• Nutrobal supplement and put on everything that went in hoping he would eat it.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

• I have the planter drip system in there, still mist 2-3 times a day depending on the humidity reading. And yes I've saw him drink. It was the 1st day though.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • Only had 1 and it was today and was pretty much 50-50 white and brown
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
  • Just as stated wasn't handled at much if at all in the shop.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Its the vivexotic vive+ arboreal
  • 50cm × 91cm x 49cm
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Arcadia euro 5 percent Forest reptiles. 11 hours a day.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Ranges between 25 degrees at the top 20 at the middle and not sure of the base. Measured by automatic heating unit with thermostat at the top and a stick on thermometer to measure temp and humidity in the middle.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Planter is in with him for drinking and to help with humidity and misting as and when required. Its currently reading 60% for humidity.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • None.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
In the corner of the living room. I do have a dog though
  • Location - Where are you geographically located
Aberdeenshire, Scotland

Does nutrobal have D3 in it? I'm not familiar with that product. If it does NOT, then you will want to get a clcium+D3 supplement to dust with twice a month (not more). I'm a little worried about what you said regarding your lighting. Do you not have a basking spot for him?? 25 C is way too cold for the highest temperature in his enclosure

As for making sure he gets calcium if he isn't eating, I think there are syringe feeding options with a liquid calcium supplement... but I've no experience with that. Hopefully someone else can chime in! Also pictures please :)

Just checked it does have D3 in it. But I've only had him 9 days not sure what the shop used.

The lighting is a 18" t8 tube. Just 1 currently its set up for 2 but when i put the 2 in/on the ballast tripped so i got a replacement but only running it with 1 tube i have ordered a spare which will arrive Wednesday then I'll put the 2 tubes on again so if it goes again i can quickly change it so he still has light.

His heat is from a ceramic heater currently. But I've ordered a 70watt basking bulb for daytime and a heat mat for night time. Currently i just change the temperature setting on the thermostat hooked up to the ceramic heater.

Quick side note he has just eaten a dusted wax worm but i don't know if the tongue was used.

Okay, you are going to need to get a different supplement for him for daily use. A supplement with vitamin D3 should be used no more than twice a month. You need to use a calcium w/out D3 at every feeding (like this: https://www.lllreptile.com/products/2309-rep-cal-calcium-without-d3).

What temperature is his basking spot? Also, scrap the idea for the heat mat. He should not have supplemental heat at night, as temp drops are actually good for chameleons during the night

I'll have a look for that calcium. I'm in the uk or would've ordered from the link.

I might need the heat Heat pad i stay in 100 year old cottage with crappy central heating. But will put a thermostat out tonight see how cold the room gets

You said....Feeding .."Initially locusts, then mealworms then wax worms. He has eaten to my knowledge 3 locusts and 4 wax worms. Locusts were fed bug grub and kale, worms kale."...your gutloading/feeding needs improvement IMHO. I would feed/gutload crickets, superworms, locusts, roaches with dandelion greens, kale, endive, escarole, endive, squash, carrots, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, collards, And a bit if pear, apple, berries, melon, etc. Your basking temperatures are a bit low...should be in the low to mid 80's ...this could be affecting his appetite.

For supplements I recommend that you use a phosphorus-free calcium powder at almost every feeding and a phosphorus-free calcium/D3 powder twice a month and a vitamin powder twice a month.

For lighting ...the UVB allows the chameleon to produce the rest of the D3 it needs and the basking light helps with digestion and thus indirectly with nutrient absorption...so basking temperature is important. For basking in use a regular Hite household incandescent bulb of a wattage that produces the appropriate basking temperature. It should be placed outside the cage and you should be able to hold your hand under it inside the cage without moving it away so that it will not be so hot it burns the chameleon.

What's the heating unit you're talking about?

You said..."Planter is in with him for drinking". But you're using no live plants?? Can you show a photo of this please?

You said you ordered a heat mat for night time....they don't need floor heat....if you need heat at night I would use a ceramic heat emitting
"bulb" on the lid of the cage.

Hope this helps!

I meant dripper not planter sorry but still attached photos of dripper and heat unit
Screenshot_20180116-141901.png
Screenshot_20180116-141901.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180116-142016.png
    Screenshot_20180116-142016.png
    473 KB · Views: 79
Back
Top Bottom