Advice with this Ficus I found

martyllian

I found a Ficus. It is exactly 4 foot tall, same heigh as my cage. (see pictures)

After I repot it, I need to trim it. How much can I safely trim off the top and not kill the Ficus, and what method should I use?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• fic1.JPG
    fic1.JPG
    245.3 KB · Views: 244
  • fic2.JPG
    fic2.JPG
    244.6 KB · Views: 269
Ive trimmed them up real well, and constructed walkways through the branches for the Chameleons to go through easier. Aside from letting all the sap after that drip out. My trees always seem to recover real well from, Id say excessive trimmings.

O yea want to edit this in, I also like them cause you can kind of bend and form the branches to go where you want them and they usually stay.
I like to bend the branches out and down abit for some and make the trees wider not thicker. and my Chameleons love it.

Thank you!

I was not sure how hardy these were. I will not be afraid to trim it down a bit and shape it to my liking. I didn't want another Schefflera defoliating incident :D

Na, these can handle abit more torture. They are real susceptible to other factors like cold weather, direct light, not enough light, the leaves fall off. but once settled in the casual trimmings should go well for ya.

Edit again, I also take the good clean smaller cuts off the branches and stick a few down in the dirt at the bottom of the plant and most times these trimmings survive and can be left to grow or transplanted after time. They are slow growing type trees though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom