Advice on refusing to eat Chams

Tleo724

My 3 year old male cham hasn’t eaten in two weeks. After 2 weeks of him not taking food from his usual glass jar I released crickets in his enclosure. when he wasn’t excited about those, I took him out and could tell how weak his grip was and usually he’s more feisty when I try and take him out. Very unusual. I found him sleeping in the drip bowl earlier this afternoon and knew I had to act fast. He closed his eyes in my hands I knew I was dealing with a very low energy cham at this point and got him to drink some water and force fed him after. 5 multi vitamin & calcium wax worms in hopes this is what he needed. I opened his mouth with a sanitary pick in one hand and held his mouth open with the other then placed a worm inside. He didn’t swallow right away so I placed him vertical so gravity would help do its part. He ate all worms eventually (with breaks in between) and I put him back under his heat lamp with a clean rag as a safety net/ doesn’t have to use much energy holding onto a branch... also heat lamp helps digestion. Chameleonaire is bright green again, eyes wide open, and it’s only been 3 hours since the force feed. Hope this helps with someone’s stubborn Cham. Please check enclosure requirements as well.
Here’s a link of how I fed.

If you are wondering why they refuse to eat there are multiple reasons. Egg laying, shedding coming, tired of same food, enclosure necessities, stress, worms, infection/ pain, etc.
why I think my cham (and this is just a guess) refused to eat was from his light being left on a few nights in a row when I was out of town. I left him in the care of my dad and he did not understand how important it is for Chams to get proper sleep. He’s still alive though and will be properly nursed back to health :)

Attachments

• 1B8AAB83-69EA-4026-998F-6156938E22DC.jpeg
    1B8AAB83-69EA-4026-998F-6156938E22DC.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 111
  • C2243084-22BB-440B-A5E3-7AD67762AFAC.jpeg
    C2243084-22BB-440B-A5E3-7AD67762AFAC.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 107
My 3 year old male cham hasn’t eaten in two weeks. After 2 weeks of him not taking food from his usual glass jar I released crickets in his enclosure. when he wasn’t excited about those, I took him out and could tell how weak his grip was and usually he’s more feisty when I try and take him out. Very unusual. I found him sleeping in the drip bowl earlier this afternoon and knew I had to act fast. He closed his eyes in my hands I knew I was dealing with a very low energy cham at this point and got him to drink some water and force fed him after. 5 multi vitamin & calcium wax worms in hopes this is what he needed. I opened his mouth with a sanitary pick in one hand and held his mouth open with the other then placed a worm inside. He didn’t swallow right away so I placed him vertical so gravity would help do its part. He ate all worms eventually (with breaks in between) and I put him back under his heat lamp with a clean rag as a safety net/ doesn’t have to use much energy holding onto a branch... also heat lamp helps digestion. Chameleonaire is bright green again, eyes wide open, and it’s only been 3 hours since the force feed. Hope this helps with someone’s stubborn Cham. Please check enclosure requirements as well.
Here’s a link of how I fed.

If you are wondering why they refuse to eat there are multiple reasons. Egg laying, shedding coming, tired of same food, enclosure necessities, stress, worms, infection/ pain, etc.
why I think my cham (and this is just a guess) refused to eat was from his light being left on a few nights in a row when I was out of town. I left him in the care of my dad and he did not understand how important it is for Chams to get proper sleep. He’s still alive though and will be properly nursed back to health :)

There are many things wrong with your husbandry that could be why as well :)

Fill this out please! Also veileds should have all live plants because they are known to eat their plants. It does not matter if you’ve never seen him eat any they should be taken out ASAP. But there are other things wrong too.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Plants
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/
https://www.chameleonschool.com/safe-plants-for-chameleons/
Branches can be some from outside not containing sap and cleaned well etc...there is a video here
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QwMzM6Zuzpg
Supplements here is a good video also look through her channel she has many good videos. Also you do not have to buy from here but these are some good ones but there are some Arcadia ones and some others!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nLONCW9tSPA
Calcium with d3 phosphorus free
Calcium without d3 phosphorus free

Reptivite without d3
Lights (at least 24”)
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-
hood.html

https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit.html
Cage (at least 2x2x4 or bigger can make one for cheaper but it’s not always cheaper)
https://dragonstrand.com/product/tall-screen-chameleon-cage-system/
https://www.diycages.com/collections/vertical-screen-reptile-chameleon-cages/products/sc4-48x24x24-jumbo-vertical-screen-cage

Last edited:
So just off the bat from the photos, his lighting is incorrect and his enclosure needs changes. Start reading through theses links, as well as getting an appointment with an experienced chameleon vet, and filling out the form in as much detail as possible. Read through every module and listen to as many podcasts as possible from The Chameleon Academy, they have the most accurate and up-to-date info!
https://www.chameleons.info/en/
http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/external-resources/
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/
https://chameleonacademy.com/setting-up-a-chameleon-cage/
http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2012/04/how-to-set-up-proper-chameleon.html

Attachments

• 054BFE5D-766D-4BB2-B8FB-2E8668F3AE28.jpeg
    054BFE5D-766D-4BB2-B8FB-2E8668F3AE28.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 22EFFD96-EF42-46EA-91E4-0FF5008947AB.jpeg
    22EFFD96-EF42-46EA-91E4-0FF5008947AB.jpeg
    280.9 KB · Views: 100
Fill this out please! Also veileds should have all live plants because they are known to eat their plants. It does not matter if you’ve never seen him eat any they should be taken out ASAP. But there are other things wrong too.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
Okay let me get on answering these. Thank you so much already! I will respond with answers in 20 min.

He needs live chameleon-safe plants only, no fake plants because they are an impaction risk. All plants should be properly cleaned beforehand and have rocks too big for him to eat covering the soil in their pots. He also needs vines (preferably live but fake without leaves will work- just no Exo Terra vines, so you’ll want replace your Exo Terra ones) and branches. He needs a T5 HO linear light fixture either the length of, or a foot longer than, his enclosure with either an Arcadia 6% or Zoo Med 5.0 linear bulb of the matching size. Get a Solarmeter 6.5 if you can afford it as well, it‘s a life-saver! He also needs a regular white light household incandescent bulb instead of the red one. His cage also needs proper drainage on the outside/under his cage, no paper towel or drip bowl in it.

He needs live chameleon-safe plants only, no fake plants because they are an impaction risk. All plants should be properly cleaned beforehand and have rocks too big for him to eat covering the soil in their pots. He also needs vines (preferably live but fake without leaves will work- just no Exo Terra vines, so you’ll want replace your Exo Terra ones) and branches. He needs a T5 HO linear light fixture either the length of, or a foot longer than, his enclosure with either an Arcadia 6% or Zoo Med 5.0 linear bulb of the matching size. Get a Solarmeter 6.5 if you can afford it as well, it‘s a life-saver! He also needs a regular white light household incandescent bulb instead of the red one. His cage also needs proper drainage on the outside/under his cage, no paper towel or drip bowl in it.
I provided links @Tleo724 look at all of them please!

Chameleon Info:
Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:
Chameleonair- Veiled, Male, 3yrs, since he was a few months (bought from PetSmart)
Handling- maybe once a month <-- rarely only take him out to show a friend that has never seen him. I've read veiled don't like to be handled much
Feeding& suppliments- crickets, wax worms, meal worms tomatoes, bananas on occasion.
I go back and forth between crickets and wax lightly coated in calcium every feed - every 2/3 days. always in the morning. Multi vitamin once a month. crickets are nutrified night before feed (connected brand photos)
watering - I use my room temperature BRITA water which I pour into water dripper. water dripper falls off a leaf where he drinks -clean water dripper weekly
Fecal- poop: black turds. Pee : white watery clusters . I think it can be chunky a little
History- brought him into a vet once for a "scab" that ended up being a tomato seed... vet did examination he was good

CAGE
Cage Type- Screen, 24' 24' 48'
Lighting- FLUKERS 60 Watt. (pictured below)
Temp - temp gage in enclosure. lowest overnight: 68-70F
Humidity- no gage, I spray the enclosure daily and have a dripper daily
Plants- Golden Pothos
Placement- on a 24' stand with 9 foot ceilings. he's in a nook in the living room. AC/heater is 10 feet away. no breeze because he's in a nook .
Location - Portland Oregon

Attachments

• IMG-2695.jpg
    IMG-2695.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 83
Chameleonair- Veiled, Male, 3yrs, since he was a few months (bought from PetSmart)
Handling- maybe once a month <-- rarely only take him out to show a friend that has never seen him. I've read veiled don't like to be handled much
Feeding& suppliments- crickets, wax worms, meal worms tomatoes, bananas on occasion.
I go back and forth between crickets and wax lightly coated in calcium every feed - every 2/3 days. always in the morning. Multi vitamin once a month. crickets are nutrified night before feed (connected brand photos)
watering - I use my room temperature BRITA water which I pour into water dripper. water dripper falls off a leaf where he drinks -clean water dripper weekly
Fecal- poop: black turds. Pee : white watery clusters . I think it can be chunky a little
History- brought him into a vet once for a "scab" that ended up being a tomato seed... vet did examination he was good

CAGE
Cage Type- Screen, 24' 24' 48'
Lighting- FLUKERS 60 Watt. (pictured below)
Temp - temp gage in enclosure. lowest overnight: 68-70F
Humidity- no gage, I spray the enclosure daily and have a dripper daily
Plants- Golden Pothos
Placement- on a 24' stand with 9 foot ceilings. he's in a nook in the living room. AC/heater is 10 feet away. no breeze because he's in a nook .
Location - Portland Oregon
So those gutloaders are not good I’ve attached some photos to proper gut load. Like I said real plants only they’re in the links I put. Chameleons are insectivores they shouldn’t eat tomatoes or banana here’s some foods you can give. Wax worms are supposed to be fed as treats not staples, mealworms are not recommended so none of those. Correct supplements are in the links I put. Basking bulb is wrong should be a regular incandescent house bulb. I’ll let someone else review all your husbandry. Uvb is incorrect also in the links I put

Attachments

• 97693604-25A8-4E3B-9BD5-06214ED8898F.jpeg
    97693604-25A8-4E3B-9BD5-06214ED8898F.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 75
  • FA123354-8012-45A1-AC18-B8F302D4CC63.jpeg
    FA123354-8012-45A1-AC18-B8F302D4CC63.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 97
I provided links @Tleo724 look at all of them please!
so I did properly wash all fake plants in enclosure with all natural soap, which I then repetitively rinsed afterwards with water and let soak, and repeated with regular water. when I first put them in his enclosure I noticed he did try to eat them but soon learned he could not take a bite. I haven't seen him do this in 2 years when I first put them in there. I will add more real plants as of now there is a golden pathos he likes. since he has learned not to eat the fake plants do you think its okay to keep? He likes to hide in them and sleep at times. He is now 3 years old I've had him since he was only a few months (profile pic is how old)

so I did properly wash all fake plants in enclosure with all natural soap, which I then repetitively rinsed afterwards with water and let soak, and repeated with regular water. when I first put them in his enclosure I noticed he did try to eat them but soon learned he could not take a bite. I haven't seen him do this in 2 years when I first put them in there. I will add more real plants as of now there is a golden pathos he likes. since he has learned not to eat the fake plants do you think its okay to keep? He likes to hide in them and sleep at times. He is now 3 years old I've had him since he was only a few months (profile pic is how old)
I’d still recommend all live plants 😕

So those gutloaders are not good I’ve attached some photos to proper gut load. Like I said real plants only they’re in the links I put. Chameleons are insectivores they shouldn’t eat tomatoes or banana here’s some foods you can give. Wax worms are supposed to be fed as treats not staples, mealworms are not recommended so none of those. Correct supplements are in the links I put. Basking bulb is wrong should be a regular incandescent house bulb. I’ll let someone else review all your husbandry. Uvb is incorrect also in the links I put
such good information!! It can be difficult to find the correct info for these guys on the internet alone. I will update his enclosure this week and fill you in on him. Thank you SO MUCH <3

such good information!! It can be difficult to find the correct info for these guys on the internet alone. I will update his enclosure this week and fill you in on him. Thank you SO MUCH <3
Someone else will review the rest of your husbandry so wait for that as well. I’m not an expert so hopefully someone who has more experience will help you too. Also make the appointment with an experienced chameleon vet and get a fecal done too! Check out Neptune The Chameleon on YouTube as well she has such amazing helpful videos. Hopefully @Gingero can link some videos of hers too!

Someone else will review the rest of your husbandry so wait for that as well. I’m not an expert so hopefully someone who has more experience will help you too. Also make the appointment with an experienced chameleon vet and get a fecal done too! Check out Neptune The Chameleon on YouTube as well she has such amazing helpful videos. Hopefully @Gingero can link some videos of hers too!
I will definitely stay updated! much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom