Advice on baby veiled

With babies, they have zero resources to fall back upon if their care is lacking. It also doesn’t take very long for them to decline very rapidly to the point of no return. Sit him on a small plant and take him outside tomorrow and every day you can (at least until you get the correct uvb) for some sunshine. Hopefully that will help him to perk up a little and he’ll be wanting to eat on his own soon. If you have to give him the critical care, do make sure to aim for the back of his throat. The airway is in the front of the mouth.

With babies, they have zero resources to fall back upon if their care is lacking. It also doesn’t take very long for them to decline very rapidly to the point of no return. Sit him on a small plant and take him outside tomorrow and every day you can (at least until you get the correct uvb) for some sunshine. Hopefully that will help him to perk up a little and he’ll be wanting to eat on his own soon. If you have to give him the critical care, do make sure to aim for the back of his throat. The airway is in the front of the mouth.
Thank you very much for this. I will make sure to get him outside. .

Veiled are pigs. So if your having problems getting him to eat there has to be something off with with setup or wrong size feeders. If feeders to small some won't go for them if too big same thing. Uvb plays a rule in appetite. Even as babies they are know to be pigs. Now when you frist get him might go a day or two not eating. But after that should eat
I did just get him. It's been barely 2 days.

I took him outside this morning for about 30 min. He seemed to really love the morning sun. His new light should be here tomorrow, but I think even with the new light, as long as it's warm out, I'm going to want to spend some sunshine time with him. I was super excited because I lightly powered 2 wax worms and put them in a bowl that attached to the wall so it can be up high. I then went to the kitchen to prepare food for my tortoises and when I came back he had the second worm in his mouth. So I powered a few more and put them in his bowl to see if he eats them. He and I have a long way to go, but I'm so happy for this positive!!!

Great news! :) Do try to get him some bsfl as they should be small enough and are more nutritious than wax worms. Just about all pet stores carry them, but they may be called calci worms or pheonix worms. I don’t see that you’ve been given the feeder graphic, so here it is along with the gutloading one. Some insects (silkworms, hornworms, etc) have specific foods. Others need to be given a healthy diet of fresh produce or a quality preparation. The Fluker’s cubes and various gel pots will keep the bugs alive, but not nutritious. I feed my bugs the same items that I feed my bearded dragon plus Repashy Bug Burger enhanced with bee pollen and spirulina. I feed my chams a variety of staples.
8B71A53F-CCA1-4C07-97BF-FA793C666FD7.jpeg
03E99061-9860-4DB1-8CB9-743E14F2A415.jpeg

Great news! :) Do try to get him some bsfl as they should be small enough and are more nutritious than wax worms. Just about all pet stores carry them, but they may be called calci worms or pheonix worms. I don’t see that you’ve been given the feeder graphic, so here it is along with the gutloading one. Some insects (silkworms, hornworms, etc) have specific foods. Others need to be given a healthy diet of fresh produce or a quality preparation. The Fluker’s cubes and various gel pots will keep the bugs alive, but not nutritious. I feed my bugs the same items that I feed my bearded dragon plus Repashy Bug Burger enhanced with bee pollen and spirulina. I feed my chams a variety of staples.
View attachment 325609View attachment 325610
Thank you so much for this! I'm in the process of setting up breeding colonies for supers, large mealworms, and Dubai roaches, for my beardies and geckos. I've noticed both with them and my saltwater fish, they do much better with variety. I'll have to learn more about the Cham's foods and see what colonies I can do for him.

Thank you so much for this! I'm in the process of setting up breeding colonies for supers, large mealworms, and Dubai roaches, for my beardies and geckos. I've noticed both with them and my saltwater fish, they do much better with variety. I'll have to learn more about the Cham's foods and see what colonies I can do for him.
Awesome! I’ve been breeding as many of my own feeders for a while now…roaches, superworms, silkworms, mealworms. Surprisingly I’ve only recently tried breeding crickets. I didn’t set out to try breeding hornworms, but that just happened recently too, with success. It’s amazing the places this hobby takes one.

I am an avid animal lover and have been keeping reptiles for 12 years now. My daughter works in a pet store and people dump off all kinds of animals there after they realize they haven't cared for them properly and the animal is in bad shape. The owner will allow the employees to take them home when this happens. Which is quite often. So caring for sick reptiles isn't new to me. But recently I was given a baby veiled that won't eat. I have the poor little guy set up with humidity about 60 percent, uvb bulb, watering tree, and the temp is 80 degrees at the top. However he won't eat. I was wondering if it's possible to syringe feen him something like critical care or maybe some repashy, or if may there is a better method. I don't have any background on him. I really would love to get him to eat. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
So, I just wanted to update everyone on the baby. His light came in yesterday and got it set up. His color got really vibrant and he drank water, but wouldn't eat. He seemed to be doing ok when I left for work last night. When I got home this morning, I went and got him out and took him outside for some morning sunshine. He would only open one eye for me. He held onto my finger and wrapped his little tale around it and just laid there. We sat out there for about an hour and he passed away. I really wish that I could have gotten his light for him sooner, but I couldn't find any in the area. I knew he was in bad shape when I picked him up and I knew there was a chance he wouldn't make it, but I still had to try, because when I saw him, I knew someone had to do something or he definitely wasn't going to make it. I don't get how these places are allowed to sell these animals and not have to have proper set ups for them and to net even sell what they need. That has to stop. When they give an animal away for free because it's in bad shape, then they should know that they need to change either how they display the animal or not carry them at all.

I saw on you first set up there was substrate. Get rid of it. At his age he should be hunting , 10-12 small crickets a day. Pinheads are too small. Get a clear cup and wedge it somewhere he can get to and have a stick sticking out of it and dump the crickets in there everyday. they will walk up the stick and he will hunt. If he doesnt eat them all he will gwt them the next day. He must start hunting or you are going to have issues you dont want. Crickets only live 90 days and only the males chirp when old enough to mate abt 45 days old. one guide i have heard for cricket size to cham is the distance between the chams eyes. Mine is 7 months now and i get medium to large. at about one year old eating will slow. Black fly larvea or sphinx is very high in calcuim so its good when they are young. I am so glad he found his way to you. Sometimes the gifts given to us by the universe are the best!

Omg i didnt see the last post. I so sorry. You did everything possible to give him a chance with such a harsh start. My condolences

Back
Top Bottom