Advice for "newish" chameleon

Sheac88

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - 5 month old male Nosy Be panther.
  • Handling - None
  • Feeding - He is getting 3-5 dubia roaches each day as his staple. I mix in crickets, superworms, and hissers every few days. I gut load with roach chow and various fruits and veggies.
  • Supplements -I use repcal without D3 every day. I then use reptical with D3 and reptivite twice a month.
  • Watering - Dripper and Climist system. Dripper runs 10-12 hours a day. Mister comes on 4 times a day for 2 minutes each time. Have seen him drink a couple of times from the mister.
  • Fecal Description - Brown and soft with white urates. Don't know if he was tested for parasites. I got him from a reputable breeder who is also a site sponsor here.
  • History - None

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - It's a Large reptibreeze. 18x18x36.
  • Lighting - 18" Zoomed 5.0 uvb bulb and a 100 watt reptisun basking bulb. Lights are on from 8am-8pm.
  • Temperature - Floor is 70-72 degrees. Basking spot is 90-95 degrees. I measure using a temp gun.
  • Humidity - Humidity ranges from 50-80 percent. I use 2 humidity gauges.
  • Plants - 1 Dracaena
  • Placement - Dining area. We aren't in the dining room much. One ceiling fan but it's not on this time of year.
  • Location - Iowa

Current Problem - I have had this guy for almost a month now and he has been very dark in color the whole time. For the first few weeks, he would turn black and run away as soon as I walked into the room. He's settled down quite a bit. He now doesn't run unless I am cleaning his cage and get a little too close to him with my hand. But he is still very dark green/brown. When he sleeps he's a gorgeous bluish green with some red spots. What could be making him stay so dark during the day? Or is he still just settling in?

Nothing stands out in your care can't say for sure what the issue is. Does he do it wile basking because mine turn dark sometimes when they are trying to worm up? Otherwise my best guess would be he is still settling.

Yeah I'm stumped too you have a very good care setup it might be his personality some chams don't like humans he must not like people or anything else moving in his room.

I think it's just because he is still young. Your temps seem right on point, so I would just be patient. I'm a firm believer in the fact that some chams use their potential energy for fast and early coloration while some use it for growth. I will make a wager that you will have a big boy on your hands in 5 more months. His colors will come, trust me!

I think it's just because he is still young. Your temps seem right on point, so I would just be patient. His colors will come, trust me!
I'm holding you to that lol! I suspected he was still settling in. Just wanted to get few more knowledgeable minds than I to weigh in. Thanks guys!

Is he only dark when he sees movement ? Is there anyway you can peek into the room without him seeing you ?
He is still young and everything else seems fine.

Mine gets dark sometimes if there are too many crickets or the masters come on. Most of the time when he sleeps he is white as a ghost! Cool little guy he's hand able but doesn't care much for it so I don't do it often

Mine gets dark sometimes if there are too many crickets or the masters come on. Most of the time when he sleeps he is white as a ghost! Cool little guy he's hand able but doesn't care much for it so I don't do it often
My female veiled, not sure of the age, also does that occasionally. About every day for an hour or so, depending. She does it towards the top of her cage so it's probably due to the basking bulb.

My female is the same way, they get darker in order to absorb light and heat up while basking. At night when metabolism slows the need for darkness is no longer needed, body cools down and skin goes lighter.

Ok as of today he is bluish green. Still a little dark but not as much. You guys are right, he is probably still settling in and getting used to the daily routine. I cleaned his cage today and he remained blue/green with my hand in there so that's progress.

Ok I figured it was time for an update since it's been forever since I have posted anything. I've now had him 3 months. Care is still the same. His colors just don't seem to be coming in. He's still green with a white stripe and yellow lips during the day. But a gorgeous blue when he's asleep. He's still very skittish. I open the cage and he's on edge. If my hand gets too close he runs. He eats and drinks like crazy and appears very healthy. Just the color has got me stumped. When I've seen baby Nosy Be's, they appear grey and the blue gradually comes in. Again I'll ask, has anybody else has seen this before with this locale?

Back
Top Bottom