Advice for new free range

jburleigh13

Hi Everyone,

I just got the cages set up with my 2 veiled chameleon youngsters. I want to set up some free ranging options along the top of my windows (for when I'm in my office hanging out with them), but am concerned about the following: falling -- if I give them thick sturdy branches to crawl on, and they can't reach anything else that I don't want them to crawl on, is it common for them to fall (it would be a 7 ft. drop if they did)? Also, how far can they stretch themselves out to reach something I don't want them to?

Thanks!!

Julie

Attachments

• IMG_5165.jpg
    IMG_5165.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 267
I have thick vines going along the top of the windows and they love it. I have the vines go down to some fake trees and also a vine that I can attach to a vine in the cage from one of the trees so they can come out on their own. I just looked on craigs list for cheap fake trees. And yes, they can reach pretty far and can be determined to get places they shouldn't. So be sure to keep an eye on that and keep the area safe.

Like this

Room1.jpg

room2.jpg

It looks like you have some great space to free range!!
I am just starting a free range too...I do worry about my veiled falling also. Although when i let him climb outside he never falls and takes some pretty big risks.
I started with some Manila rope i 'crocheted' for when he wants to climb outside his viv. it is just on the walls above.
keep us posted on what you do!!

Thanks for the great pictures. I just realized that even if I provide a stick or vine that leads from the cage onto the free range area, my chameleons may still choose to climb on top of the cage (where hot lights are). Should I assume that if I make the free range area more attractive looking than the top of the cage they will make the better choice? Also, if they're still a bit apprehensive of me, should the free range vines lead away from me rather than towards me, where I sit at my desk?

Thanks!

Julie

Back
Top Bottom