Adventures with bugs

Lathis

Chameleon Enthusiast
So my insect collecting efforts this weekend at the in-law's farm were a miserable disappointment. I was hoping for cabbage moths, small grasshoppers, and maybe those little blue butterflies... Nothing except wasps... lots and lots of wasps...

The hubby managed to catch a Painted Lady which Ferdinand my Jax happily gulped down for breakfast this morning. It's cute to watch him get excited about new bugs :)

I am so glad its getting warm, my guys sure miss their moths - but my bug napper had a nice amount of moths this AM - but still a bit cold here for much- I love to watch them get all hyped up for bugs too :p

LL, you feed the plain brown moths? I have been after ones more active and colorful, so I didn't even think about the night moths.

I'll bet he would love June Bugs (nice and crunchy), but they just give me the willies...

LL, you feed the plain brown moths? I have been after ones more active and colorful, so I didn't even think about the night moths.

I'll bet he would love June Bugs (nice and crunchy), but they just give me the willies...

yes, the brown ones that fly by the lights - they are like about 1.5" long- my chams LOVE them - and when the cicada come out- oh boy- I have one who will fall out of his cage going after one- lol - I do not feed the June bug, but I do feed the Mayflies that hatch out from the Lake too- grass hoppers, that kind of thing :)

Couldn't the cham get sick from wild insects?

IMHO - I feed them because my chams get them anyway- they live 24/7 outside all summer- and I do not see any reason not to- but I also live in a rural area, and do not worry about pesticide in my area - I think you would have to see where you live, and consider that - and some can carry parasites, but as I said, mine get wild stuff on their own, and most of mine I think were wc ( I get alot sent to me from shows) and they just seem so much more happy outside "grazing" on wild bugs :) I feed them, I know some would never- its up to you :)

Couldn't the cham get sick from wild insects?

Not if you collect them from a place where it's certain no pesticides are used.
Out in the country, in to woods, would be the best place to collect.
If you know the bugs are pesticide free in your area, they pose no health risk to your chams.
It's good to have a field guide for insect ID so determin if bugs are toxic, like some spiders and such.
Since we have a 'safe plants' list, maybe someone should make a 'safe bugs' list :)

Not if you collect them from a place where it's certain no pesticides are used.
Out in the country, in to woods, would be the best place to collect.
If you know the bugs are pesticide free in your area, they pose no health risk to your chams.
It's good to have a field guide for insect ID so determin if bugs are toxic, like some spiders and such.
Since we have a 'safe plants' list, maybe someone should make a 'safe bugs' list :)

I AGREE !!! that is a great idea ~ you better get busy ;) :D

Back
Top Bottom