Adult veiled chameleon found in my yard.

I personally think, if theres so many more nutritional bugs out there, then why bother with meal worms? They aren't super good to use so I wouldnt even use them. Just adding to the conversation btw not trying to argue.

Update: He is eating like a champ, he mostly wears dark colors unless sleeping, hopefully he's just still acclimating to going from the yard to an enclosure...
Can anyone tell me are these white markings normal?
Also, are the feces normal looking?
Thanks again
Hi there... Soil looks a bit moist.. You want to make sure you have a drainage layer and it is fully bioactive. Otherwise it is just a breeding ground for bacteria.

Dark can be stress. Do you have the right temps and the cage set up properly with lots of foliage? Did you get the T5HO fixture and 5.0 uvb bulb for it?

I agree with you 🙂

So what's your experiences that you all came to these conclusions? Other than someone said it one time.

There are articles that show mealworms to rival other feeders in nutrition. I could link them, but they've been posted here on several occasions already.

Last edited:
So what's your experiences that you all came to these conclusions? Other than someone said it one time.

There are articles that show mealworms to rival other feeders in nutrition. I could link them, but they've been posted here on several occasions already.
I'm not going to argue with you. Have a nice day

I only have screen at the bottom of my chameleon cage. I have a juvenile veiled. I'm going to go out on a limb here, lol and say what I think is the best for them because ....that's what I think and my oldest chams are almost 7. My guys like super worms, blue worms, roaches, crickets, silk worms and Butterworms for a treat. I don't think anything should be on the cage bottom but screen and the cage can sit on a big plastic bin to catch all the fresh water running thru the cage. Live pathos for plants. Pump water out of cage bin w a sump pump used for fountains. Cap of bleach once a week.

I personally think, if theres so many more nutritional bugs out there, then why bother with meal worms? They aren't super good to use so I wouldnt even use them. Just adding to the conversation btw not trying to argue.
I think the main point/reason is availability; they're almost always available locally and immediately. If one has quick access to a variety of feeders, that's—of course—preferable. OTOH, if one has to wait several days for better feeders to be shipped (in these uncertain times) my feeling has always been, if faced with feeding mealies or nothing, I choose to feed mealies (or whatever else may not be first choice, but I can get them today).

I just picked up a small pkg. of giant meal worms for this exact reason. For some reason, I lost more crickets this week than usual, and this week's shipment to the pet store has been delayed, so either the li'l dude goes hungry for 2+ days, or he gets a few mealworms to tide him over. :)

No argument—just discussion. :)

Back
Top Bottom