Adult and baby chameleons in group environment

CunningMoss

Does any one have some documentation on how adult chameleons interact with baby chameleons? Perhaps, two random adults with a random captive hatch of babies in an environment? Or two parent chameleons and their own hatch growing up together?

Note: I do not plan on trying this out. Just wondering of the result.

Not a good idea! Chameleons have no parental instinct whatsoever! When my 3 year old female Veiled saw my baby Jackson she started to aim her tongue at him! I have no doubt that she would have eaten him given half the chance!

Edit - just realised the date! Is this another April Fool's thread? I had completely forgotten about what day it is since it is now 5pm here in the UK! But what I said still stands - Amy would most definitely had eaten Monty if she had the chance!

Last edited:
Not a good idea! Chameleons have no parental instinct whatsoever! When my 3 year old female Veiled saw my baby Jackson she started to aim her tongue at him! I have no doubt that she would have eaten him given half the chance!

Edit - just realised the date! Is this another April Fool's thread? I had completely forgotten about what day it is since it is now 5pm here in the UK! But what I said still stands - Amy would most definitely had eaten Monty if she had the chance!

Miss Lilly has said it all!:D

they eat them.

no joke.

This is true. I had baby veileds hatch and wanted to get a photo of mom with a baby ... mom tried to eat baby. (She did not succeed- baby was unharmed.)

Also when babies see an adult chameleon they drop and curl into little balls to hide. I discovered that when I had mom too close to the baby bin. Plop plop plop - babies dropping to the bottom all dark and curled up - I thought they were dropping dead!!

I've known this info for quite some time. However, I do have a question. How do they birth the babies in the wild? Do they just lay their eggs and go elsewhere? Never thinking about it again? I've never read any information about the process of birthing in the wild. And what about Jacksons? Do they have less of a chance of eating their babies? Considering they give live birth and all. I find this really interesting.

I've known this info for quite some time. However, I do have a question. How do they birth the babies in the wild? Do they just lay their eggs and go elsewhere? Never thinking about it again? I've never read any information about the process of birthing in the wild. And what about Jacksons? Do they have less of a chance of eating their babies? Considering they give live birth and all. I find this really interesting.

I'm wondering about this too. So.. do they try to eat them because wild chameleons don't nurse their young and they grow up isolated.. so they are not familiar with babies of their species?

Yes, they lay the eggs and leave. Live bearing females won't eat the babies for a period of time after the birth (usually) but will eventually if given the chance.

In the wild, they lay their eggs, fill in the hole and walk away. No doubt some babies will get eaten, but then that is why they lay such large clutches - survival of the fittest and all that!

Having said that, I have observed some odd behaviour with both my females. They both successfully laid their eggs, filled in the hole and returned to the branches. However, I did not remove the laying bin until the following day and all 3 times that I have had a female lay they have always gone back down to the laying bin the following morning and continue to shift the dirt as if still covering them. I believe that they can smell the eggs since they are forced to remain in the same area that they laid in and feel that they are not sufficiently covered and hidden from predators. That is just how I see things what what I have witnessed. I have no idea if anyone else has experienced the same behaviour with their females though.

I don't know a whole lot about Jacksons, but they do give birth whilst walking along the branches and the babies fall to branches and leaves below.

They might eat them. And they might ignore them. And I have seen full adult males bob their heads at little 2" females.

So we registered them as sex offenders.

The first three sentences are true. ;)

Hahahahaha! Now turn to the left for your mug shot. Do you under stand you aren't allowed within 100 feet of baby tubs?

Back
Top Bottom