Adding sounds of nature

I have a fairly powerful speaker mounted above my Jackson's cage in my kitchen - part of a surround sound system. It is not in direct contact with the cage, but still, it's within a foot of the top of the cage. I was extremely concerned about this at first and fully prepared to move the speaker if need be. However, I have spent more time than most sane people would have watching Spike while various types and volumes of sound were being played, and never did I see the slightest reaction or change in behavior. This speaker is capable of some fairly low sounds (can't say exactly how low without checking) and nothing has bothered or affected him. Based on this, I have to agree with those that said any sounds you play will most likely be for humans. While I have not played any particular nature sounds for testing, he has been exposed to Avatar countless times(lots of nature sounds!) and a whole slew of Attenborough nature programs without a single disapproval or applause!

Last edited:
Since chameleons feel vibrations they will also get to feel the vibrations from whatever you use to produce the sounds. I wonder what that will do for them! Make them look for a mate? Make them look for a chirping cricket? Hmm...good good good good vibrations! (Sorry I couldn't resist...beach boys!)
https://www.researchgate.net/public...ication_by_Substrate_Vibration_in_a_Chameleon
From what I've read, their hearing is from 200 to 600 Hz.

Well assuming they hear within that range, they actually hear pretty good. I took some music and filtered out the high's above 600 Hz with a 6 db slope then did the same to the frequencies below 200 Hz. (6 db is a pretty sharp cut off slope). Sound is a little weird, when you create a notch filter like this the removed frequencies also reduce the volume. This makes sense as the overall decibel of a sound is a combination of all audible frequencies. You remove some frequencies and the overall volume is also reduced.

So my experiment concluded that they can hear pretty well, but they are hard of hearing. The music is reduced by several decibels but is completely understandable. I'd say as a ball part it's less than half the original volume, but the range is completely satisfactory to understand what it is.

I also think that such sounds like crickets and bugs would be very hard for them to hear as they are very quiet anyways. So from a practical perspective, they are almost deaf unless the sound is a wide range sound with lots of volume.

I tried to upload the files to an album to share, but couldn't. Can the forum not store other files besides images?

Back
Top Bottom