Adding sounds of nature

broderp

Avid Member
In our attempt to make a our loved pets feel more at home we control their environment in many ways so that it closely mimics that of their home lands. This has many proven health benefits and maybe some other not so quantifiable ones such as making them happy.

So what about sounds? Our pets are subject to cell phone ringing, dog barking, door bells, TV , radio etc. so why can't we place sounds of nature that may further enhance their well being?

I know they don't hear the same way we do. But they do hear and feel vibrations no?

What would the benefit be if we played a recording of the sounds of nature that would normally be encountered? Cricket, bugs scuffling, wind, leaves rustling in trees etc.

What do you think?

I don't think it would do any good as chams have evolved to the point they can only hear certain decibels. In other words they can't hear very well!

I feel if anything hearing sounds and nature outside would cause frustration then maybe stress? Knowing your trapped in a cage and not able to get potential food would drive me nuts lol. Not a scientific answer but just my opinion:)

I don't think it would do any good as chams have evolved to the point they can only hear certain decibels. In other words they can't hear very well!
I've heard that, but every little bit helps. If the lower end sound of a tree blowing in the wind calms them, then I'm OK with setting up a speaker and making it happen.

My guestimate, is if we hear a range of 20-20K, then they hear lower frequencies (120Hz and below???) so perhaps sound to them is like bass to us, only with ear plugs on. :confused:

I was looking and found this: Mot sure what category our pets fall into..
http://www.anapsid.org/reptilehearing.html

Dont know much about chameleon ears but i know he'd sure get a better mood when he heard the crickets in the next room :p. I think this would be a fun expirment for you to try, with the nature sounds. Watch his behavior and see ^.^ at the very least it might be a white noise thing for him. :p

Idk I honestly think it would more depend on if you had a captive bred or a wild caught. Captive breds NEVER EVER experience these "natural sounds" from their "homelands". And I am pretty sure that is not one of their innate traits.

Since chameleons feel vibrations they will also get to feel the vibrations from whatever you use to produce the sounds. I wonder what that will do for them! Make them look for a mate? Make them look for a chirping cricket? Hmm...good good good good vibrations! (Sorry I couldn't resist...beach boys!)
https://www.researchgate.net/public...ication_by_Substrate_Vibration_in_a_Chameleon

From what I've read, their hearing is from 200 to 600 Hz.

Idk I honestly think it would more depend on if you had a captive bred or a wild caught. Captive breds NEVER EVER experience these "natural sounds" from their "homelands". And I am pretty sure that is not one of their innate traits.
But some of this would be instinctive. You can't remove years of evolution that quick.

The only thing I think that might be instinctive would be like bug sounds? The sounds of wind or whatever that they may hear would not be helpful because they wouldn't feel it and it would just confuse them. As far as sounds of bugs it may confuse them too if they are looking for said bug but there are no feeders there. Rain would also be confusing. And predator sounds would be terrifying. I don't know what else you would play to simulate a natural surrounding that wouldn't actually physically change their environment. But I would rely more on actually physically making their cages more like their natural homelands so research the weather and when the humidity or rain increases. Then adjust your misting schedule to be more like it etc. Change your foliage. You branches to be natural too. Increase your feeder range. Feed wildcaught insects and just do regular fecal tests.

It would make your viv like a trip to the zoo where they pipe in recored animal noises. I don't know if it would affect your cham or even if speakers could accurately hit the range of their limited hearing. Just as dogs rarely react to barking on TV.
It might however enhance the ambiance for you and your guests.

The only thing I think that might be instinctive would be like bug sounds? The sounds of wind or whatever that they may hear would not be helpful because they wouldn't feel it and it would just confuse them. As far as sounds of bugs it may confuse them too if they are looking for said bug but there are no feeders there. Rain would also be confusing. And predator sounds would be terrifying. I don't know what else you would play to simulate a natural surrounding that wouldn't actually physically change their environment. But I would rely more on actually physically making their cages more like their natural homelands so research the weather and when the humidity or rain increases. Then adjust your misting schedule to be more like it etc. Change your foliage. You branches to be natural too. Increase your feeder range. Feed wildcaught insects and just do regular fecal tests.

I have to agree here.

Back
Top Bottom