Adding Screen: Help

animjason

I see many DIY cage builds, but the problem is most of them say "I replaced the glass with screen" or "I punched out the side wall, and added screen" or "I stapled the screen on".

I realize every project is unique, but I haven't been able to find close-up shots of DIY screen or step-by-step how to not only do it, but keep it aesthetically pleasing and safe for Chameleon. Especially in regards to cutting out side of entertainment center and adding screen (to inside or outside, which is best?).

How have you installed DIY screens safely and cleanly? Is there a better screen to use instead of others? I know I should use a sturdy screen up top for weight of light fixtures, but worry some affect UVA and UVB penetration?

Yes, I'm a total n00b in DIY cages, but my Chameleon Brother Joseph (and the coat of many colors) appreciate your help.

You will need to use aluminum screen or the feeders can chew thru it.
Aesthetically you will want the screen to be on the inside of the front sections. You can buy all the parts to make custom sized window screens including the frame material at home big diy stores. Then attach them inside. Others have stapled the screen in and then put wood trim over the edges.

What are you planning to use to waterproof the wood?

Last edited:
Cool, thank you. I went and did some recon work at Lowe's and Home Depot. They have a black, gray and shiny aluminum. I assume that is more just for the look you want to go for. Any experience with which looks best? Hard to tell when they are rolled up.

I have been told by a few employees to use Spar Varnish to seal the wood, but am a little overwhelmed on this topic. So many polyurethanes, Great Stuff Foam, Silicone II (not sure how it differs from I), etc...

I was wondering because I don't think wood seal is enough to stand up to constant drenching. I've heard of problems with the wood warping. Any water that gets into a crack will cause trouble eventually.
One of the better builds I've seen used pond liner to seal the interior and ran the water into a drain that collected in the bottom of the cabinet.
Great stuff is good for creating rock like decorations and hiding plant pots. It can seal cracks but expands too much to be a coating.
As for the screening many of the commercial cages have blackish screen. I would avoid shiny.

for the screen on my first DIY cage, i bought charcoal aluminum screen from lowe's. i got that color because from what i read everywhere, it's the best to see through. that hard part for me was to attach the screen. after i failed and wasted some of the screen, i swallowed my pride and went to an Ace Hardware store. idk if you have that where you're at, but they are a smaller hardware chain. I gave them the dimensions i needed and they built the screen for me on an aluminum frame. it was basically a window screen replacement. it came up looking clean and professional. lol. then i got some pegs from home depot to mount it on my cage.

for the screen on my first DIY cage, i bought charcoal aluminum screen from lowe's. i got that color because from what i read everywhere, it's the best to see through. that hard part for me was to attach the screen. after i failed and wasted some of the screen, i swallowed my pride and went to an Ace Hardware store. idk if you have that where you're at, but they are a smaller hardware chain. I gave them the dimensions i needed and they built the screen for me on an aluminum frame. it was basically a window screen replacement. it came up looking clean and professional. lol. then i got some pegs from home depot to mount it on my cage.

How much did the screen cost to have ACE make? What size?

If your have skills and patience they aren't too hard to build. If your house screens are due for replacement there mobile services who will come out and do it and make any new ones you want. They will even do the measuring.

I found at Wal-Mart as well a kit for building screen frames up to 47 inches. My cage is bigger than that, but will be several windows, so that be a good option as well. I am finishing the final cut today, then sanding tomorrow and ready to begin making the new enclosure water tight with drainage.

Then I will install the screens while waiting for the waterproofing to air out and completely set before doing the foam, found black foam meant for ponds online.

Back
Top Bottom