Add anything to misting reservoir water?

Was curious if anyone added maybe a small splash of food grade peroxide or something in their misting reservoir to keep the water clean and algae free?

If you're getting algae in your reservoir, something's not right. What kind of water are you using?

I'd sterilize the entire system outside the enclosure to kill any algae, then use only distilled or RO water for the system.

Personally, I would not add anything to the water used for misting.

Kind of depends on what kind of algae you’re getting. I’m going to guess it’s green and easy to wipe off. Growing on the sides of the res.

if your res inside or outside. Is the container clear, opaque, or solid.

from my reefing and lab knowledge, algae needs two things to grow....nutrients and light. The latter is the easiest to control. Just wrap the container to eliminate light.

The nutrients is a little harder, so I’d need more info on the setup unless light is your main factor.

Agreed with others. I put black tape around my oldest water reservoir and in years I got no build up. Eliminate any light from getting in and use distilled/other low nutrient water(should be for mist systems anyway). I did use a powerhead in my one large reservoir to keep it fresh. Don't know if this was necessary or not, but figured why not.

Just to add I have no chameleon or reservoir yet for that matter. Just going off what some people have problems with. Makes sense to have a reservoir that sunlight can't get into. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom