acceptable outdoor temps for Veild

jeffjw

Is it ok to bring a veild outside on very hot days? We keep our house cooled to around 72F but the last few weeks we've had temps well into the mid 80's. does the sudden temperature shift from indoors to outdoors cause any problems? Is there a certain cutoff temperature where it's just not safe for them to be outdoors even in shade?

When ambient temps outside hit 90-92 it’s time to bring them in. In the viv the only place you’ll get a 92f reading is your basking spot, it’s a small area. Your Cham can retreat if he gets overheated. That’s something he can’t do outside because everything is the same temp with very limited gradients.

How old is this veild?
Sex?
No temperature shock but if I were you I’d put them out early in the morning and bring them in at lunch.

How old is this veild?
Sex?
No temperature shock but if I were you I’d put them out early in the morning and bring them in at lunch.
he's male and about 7 month old. I usually only bring him out for about 20 - 30 min to get some natural light. he seems a bit disturbed by traffic noise and birds etc so I don't overdo it.

I’ts fine to be out under 90s but if it is at that basking temp of upper 80s I’d be sure there is shade and some foliage so he can thermoregulate and hide if he feels stressed. One option is a nice pop up hamper where you can still provide sticks and leaves for a shade option while protecting him, or a plant inside a pop up mosquito tent.

My Parsons is outside in the 90s right now 24/7 and veileds should be able to handle more. If it doesn't rain, I give him a very long misting session. His enclosure is on a shady side of the house that only gets sun earlier. Also lots of tree cover. It is very humid here too, but he doesn't seem bothered.

Yea we might want to add "in the sun"

Even 75f air temps are too hot for more than 1 hour of outside time in an unshaded "sun" cage.

Yea 102 is HOT, but its not really that bad in good shade, were odds are its only 90. its not like all the tourist drop dead on the east coast when they start bucking 100f+ at noon.

Back
Top Bottom