About to shed or skin issue?

Robyn.lux

Hey guys,
See attached photos, is he about to shed or is it anything else that could be wrong with his skin?
It seems to come and go? Which is what's confusing me.
He is due a shed. He's still eating like a champ and is very active, although he's spent more time that usual toward the bottom of his tank today.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180915-150736.png
    Screenshot_20180915-150736.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 111
  • Screenshot_20180915-150704.png
    Screenshot_20180915-150704.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 119
Something is off here.
Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful.

Something is off here.
Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - Masoala panther chameleon, 6 months old, had him around 6 weeks.

◦ Handling - next to never, unless he willingly crawls onto me.

◦ Feeding - Guloaded feeders; Dubia and locusts (he refuses crickets) cup feed dubia and free feed locusts. Gut loaded with a superload (brand escapes me I'm currently out), dandelion leaves, fruit veggies etc.
Calci worms.
He gets fed everyday at 9.30 anything left gets removed before lights out.
5 locusts, 5 dubia and 5 calci worms.

◦ Supplements - Exo terra, calcium w/o d3 every day. With d3 every other week. Vitamin without d3 every other week when it's not d3.

◦ Watering - I hand mist, twice daily, morning for around 2 minutes and evening for a minute. Dripper all morning. He is shy so I leave him alone in a morning, I assume he drinks then.

◦ Fecal Description - White chalky/clear urate, solid but slick blackish brown poop. He has been tested for parasite but I plan to have another done. He poops around 3 times a week.

◦ History - No previous though last time he was due to shed, he did go really dark in colour.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Exo terra, glass, 90x45x90, naturalistic bottom.

◦ Lighting - exo terra t8 30w UVB, exo terra ceramic for basking.

◦ Temperature - 85-89f basking. 75-64f for ambient. Night never drops below 60f. X3 temp probs in viv at various levels.

◦ Humidity - Once misted, 80% humidity which drops to around 60% once dried out. Never goes below 60%. Two exo terra hygrometers, one bottom, one mid level. Live plants and naturalistic bottom along with dripper to keep maintained. I am also home all day so throw an extra misting session if needed.

◦ Plants - 3 pothos plants.

◦ Placement - Cage in my living room, low traffic as I live alone and rarely have guests, around 3ft off of the floor (not ssuper high but I approach the viv on my knees). Near no windows, vents, fans etc.

◦ Location - East coast England.

Current Problem - Skin concern, as shown on photos above. Not his dark colours but the patches, he can get quite dark when due a shed or basking but last time he shed I didn't see the weird looking bits. Slightly worried about skin infection or parasites but I wouldn't know what I am looking for. Definitely going for a vet trip if he doesn't shed in the next couple of days.
He was feeding fine but slowed down a few days a go. His most recent poop was two days a go and looked fine.
Until yesterday his colouring was light and bright.

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - Masoala panther chameleon, 6 months old, had him around 6 weeks.

◦ Handling - next to never, unless he willingly crawls onto me.

◦ Feeding - Guloaded feeders; Dubia and locusts (he refuses crickets) cup feed dubia and free feed locusts. Gut loaded with a superload (brand escapes me I'm currently out), dandelion leaves, fruit veggies etc.
Calci worms.
He gets fed everyday at 9.30 anything left gets removed before lights out.
5 locusts, 5 dubia and 5 calci worms.

◦ Supplements - Exo terra, calcium w/o d3 every day. With d3 every other week. Vitamin without d3 every other week when it's not d3.

◦ Watering - I hand mist, twice daily, morning for around 2 minutes and evening for a minute. Dripper all morning. He is shy so I leave him alone in a morning, I assume he drinks then.

◦ Fecal Description - White chalky/clear urate, solid but slick blackish brown poop. He has been tested for parasite but I plan to have another done. He poops around 3 times a week.

◦ History - No previous though last time he was due to shed, he did go really dark in colour.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Exo terra, glass, 90x45x90, naturalistic bottom.

◦ Lighting - exo terra t8 30w UVB, exo terra ceramic for basking.

◦ Temperature - 85-89f basking. 75-64f for ambient. Night never drops below 60f. X3 temp probs in viv at various levels.

◦ Humidity - Once misted, 80% humidity which drops to around 60% once dried out. Never goes below 60%. Two exo terra hygrometers, one bottom, one mid level. Live plants and naturalistic bottom along with dripper to keep maintained. I am also home all day so throw an extra misting session if needed.

◦ Plants - 3 pothos plants.

◦ Placement - Cage in my living room, low traffic as I live alone and rarely have guests, around 3ft off of the floor (not ssuper high but I approach the viv on my knees). Near no windows, vents, fans etc.

◦ Location - East coast England.

Current Problem - Skin concern, as shown on photos above. Not his dark colours but the patches, he can get quite dark when due a shed or basking but last time he shed I didn't see the weird looking bits. Slightly worried about skin infection or parasites but I wouldn't know what I am looking for. Definitely going for a vet trip if he doesn't shed in the next couple of days.
He was feeding fine but slowed down a few days a go. His most recent poop was two days a go and looked fine.
Until yesterday his colouring was light and bright.

Hello, im having issues with my girl here and idk what to do. I scheduled a vet appointment for her next tuesday but maybe i can be enlightened before then.
She is a female panther cham. About 1 year old.
She has not laid eggs yet nor has she shown any signs of it.
She has these burn looking things on her leg and top of her head, the base of her tale looks more like dry cracked skin.

We use a repti fogger to keep humidity up as well as spraying the cage 2 times a day. Been thinking about replacing the reptifogger to like a sprinkling system for her. She lives in a 16x16x30 reptibreez screen cage. Basking spot reaches temps of about 85. We have two live plants in the cage as well as fakes.

She has been not eating recently also, we have tried crickets, worms, and roaches. But she would just eat one and leave the rest.

But basically my question is, what is going on with her skin? Could it be too hot? Could she be burning herself on the screen cage where the heat source is? Is it a disease? Anything will help. If you need more info, let me know.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hello, im having issues with my girl here and idk what to do. I scheduled a vet appointment for her next tuesday but maybe i can be enlightened before then.
She is a female panther cham. About 1 year old.
She has not laid eggs yet nor has she shown any signs of it.
She has these burn looking things on her leg and top of her head, the base of her tale looks more like dry cracked skin.

We use a repti fogger to keep humidity up as well as spraying the cage 2 times a day. Been thinking about replacing the reptifogger to like a sprinkling system for her. She lives in a 16x16x30 reptibreez screen cage. Basking spot reaches temps of about 85. We have two live plants in the cage as well as fakes.

She has been not eating recently also, we have tried crickets, worms, and roaches. But she would just eat one and leave the rest.

But basically my question is, what is going on with her skin? Could it be too hot? Could she be burning herself on the screen cage where the heat source is? Is it a disease? Anything will help. If you need more info, let me know.
View attachment 213927 View attachment 213928 View attachment 213929 View attachment 213927 View attachment 213928

First of all, let me say, she's absolutely beautiful.
But I would recommend filling out the questionnaire which Brody posted above. Just so we can all get a better idea of her conditions.
I mean, I am really new to chams, mine is my first and he's male. So as for a female, I really don't know about laying.
I could be a burn on her leg or maybe an infected bite? Do you leave feeders in her cage overnight? Has she recently had a fall or is there anything she could cut herself on?
Either way, I'd take her to the vets to be on the safe side.

In case anyone has wondered about Mr J, I got back today and he looks fine. The guys I got him off think he is going to shed soon, hence why he looks so stressed. It apparently causes some more stress than others. If he's not shed by Thursday, I'm running with my gut and nipping him to his vet.

But I would recommend filling out the questionnaire which Brody posted above. Just so we can all get a better idea of her conditions.
I mean, I am really new to chams, mine is my first and he's male. So as for a female, I really don't know about laying.
I could be a burn on her leg or maybe an infected bite? Do you leave feeders in her cage overnight? Has she recently had a fall or is there anything she could cut herself on?

In case anyone has wondered about Mr J, I got back today and he looks fine. The guys I got him off think he is going to shed soon, hence why he looks so stressed. It apparently causes some more stress than others. If he's not shed by Thursday, I'm running with my gut and nipping him to his vet.
Thank you. She is a dull color rn, but after i have her in the shower for 10 mins or so, she turns into a bright orange.

Good call...

Back
Top Bottom