about to go in a a new build / living wall

My pillow moss and terrestrial moss for neherp will arrive soon ish but I felt this was a decent solution to hide the ugly foam on the sides. These mosses can be rinsed and cleaned very easily. I do not leave loose feeders so do not worry much about them taking up residence. Me andy cham are not big fans of roaches I try dubia routinely in two years he had eaten 3 ever. And crickets stay outside and are fed off in a small bin so they don't hang out past their welcome.

I am finishing some plant care this morning everyone was washed and rinsed so fingers crossed they survive cause they are in there good now.
Putting in the branchs and then some clean up work.
can't break out the power tools, I need to make some cuts and drill thru my main branch to allow easier and less visible mounting to the dragon ledges or shop vac till my room mates are out of bed.

Needs further branches installed as well as airplants and hopefully I can get these hoyas to grow as epiphytes instead in soil bound any tips on that would be great I've got sphag to try to keep them moist in a moss ball but lack any first hand experience with this technique.

Attachments

• PXL_20210226_190637097.jpg
    PXL_20210226_190637097.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 139
Needs further branches installed as well as airplants and hopefully I can get these hoyas to grow as epiphytes instead in soil bound any tips on that would be great I've got sphag to try to keep them moist in a moss ball but lack any first hand experience with this technique.
Well, it is very beautiful!

Wow that’s amazing, love it 👌🏻👌🏻

Testing lighting and temps and need to start covering soil with deco rock 🪨🪨🪨.

Will be adding two diagonal branches to go from the center area out to those tall vertical options on the far side the two horizontal perch branches I have are a littler low so I want to give another option.

There are bare spots on the side walls that I plan to put more foliage into as well.

It's nice to see it under the led. I cannot recommend the 70w sansi enough it's beautiful bright and compact.

I ended up returning my quad fixture and got a dual bulb sub blaze. It lacks a timer but it's built well (this double puts out more light than the oddesa quad OMG thank you @Beman )
PXL_20210227_031045152.jpg

wow build me one
Now that I worked out all the trial and error parts of working with the foam I'd be happy to build more of these. Between the forums wealth of information and serpa design you tube your set. it was easier once I got out of my own way.

Planning definitely helps but you need to be flexible for when things don't line up right or fit as planned. I hope my plants survive the acclimation period. A maiden hair fern was already removed and swapped for something more hearty. Added more branches last night. to fill the canopy

So the plant acclimation isn't going well turned on a light to check things out and my lipstick plant as well as goldfish plant are on the struggle bus. I'm ok with plants I keep about 30 house plants ( not in the cham enclosure) I kill some but have kept several plants alive over 5-10 years. In this time I have never ever seen this happen to my plants it's like the wax on the plant is gone and turned gray/grey any ideas. It was purchased at a local nursery and as all these plants was washed before planting using a soak, dip, soak method. castile soap dilution for the dip. And clean water for soak.

Can't imagine that the t5 or led is the cause of this it doesn't seem like a burn more of a rot? Leaves aren't dropping off (yet). Perhaps the soil was too rich with fertilizer I used a mix of fox farm and orchid bark. I have an omri 3-3-3 starter rooting fert I added some but yikes 😬😳 could this be the effects. Guess I'll take them out of the pots and try to amend the soil

The pothos and bromeliad nearest it are doing just fine. Looks like it might be another week of plant acclimation before dudes in the new condo

Attachments

• PXL_20210228_170235439.jpg
    PXL_20210228_170235439.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 109
Replaced two of three plants . Swapped gold fish for goldfish and took out the lipstick plant for a hoya pub. I have one center pot open for a plant and would like to put a peperomia or pothos where my hand is to fill in that space. I'm so glad I bought the shop vac cause I've made a proper mess today.

Maybe I can hold out and get another black Pagoda from the nursary once they are in season. I keep setting up hurdles for myself on this project so until then I'll just put another bromeliad or something as filler.

Attachments

• PXL_20210228_203921442.jpg
    PXL_20210228_203921442.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 116
So Ive been spinning my wheels a bit. Been struggling to get the coco coir and sphag dried out ended up laying it out in the sun baking it in the oven and even using my grill (which turned out to be the best method as for time to dry a cookie tray) I've lost a lot of time and motivation but the light at the end is still bright. Wish I had started drying this stuff last week... The moral of the story is to plan ahead I did not and it's cost me.

Great stuff is all set and carved down I am hoping to get the silicone applied a brush did not seem to be effective i suspect using my hand will prove the best tool.

Anyway until the cage is done and ready for plants I've got a jungle in my bedroom and the sansi 70w led is awesome 😎 seriously love it to supplement light I've toyed with it on the existing enclosure and use it to keep these plants alive now. Bang for buck is there and I appreciate the waterproofing on the switch.

Everything I've read on dendro boards seems to suggest drying the coco coir and substrate materials before applying to silicone provided better results. Figured I shouldn't cut another corner so today I've been BBQ coco coir. Fml
Lol the drying process is painful, all i can say is patience is key. Another thing to keep in mind which someone might have already mentioned but i just thought it was important. You really wanna give all those chemicals plenty of cure time (im talking weeks) i left my cage outside for almost a month after it was complete just to fully release any odors from the cage. The great stuff isnt so bad but if you end up using a ton of silicone like i did you'll notice the smell. Im no expert so i dont know what side effects the fumes can cause but better safe than sorry when it comes to our pets health right? I think basically a good rule of thumb is if it still smells like chemicals its not good yet

I wouldn't have thought you would have to add the 333 to the fox farm. What about a wandering jew there
Yeah my mind isn't right most of the time. Mistakes were made on my part every part of the build planning will be my friend in future pursuits.

Lol the drying process is painful, all i can say is patience is key. Another thing to keep in mind which someone might have already mentioned but i just thought it was important. You really wanna give all those chemicals plenty of cure time (im talking weeks) i left my cage outside for almost a month after it was complete just to fully release any odors from the cage. The great stuff isnt so bad but if you end up using a ton of silicone like i did you'll notice the smell. Im no expert so i dont know what side effects the fumes can cause but better safe than sorry when it comes to our pets health right? I think basically a good rule of thumb is if it still smells like chemicals its not good yet
Yeah that's the general rule I've been following with the ge s1 it smells to the heavens until it's cured up. Thankfully I had the outside space to let it air out some before allowing visual inspections from the future inhabitant lol. At this point I'll probably re do it sooner than later knowing what I've learned in the process. Certainly helps having an existing enclosure to use during this process and not needing to free range or anything.

Yeah my mind isn't right most of the time. Mistakes were made on my part every part of the build planning will be my friend in future pursuits.
They are more learning curves than mistakes, more likely to become mistakes if not learned by is my way of thinking. I put arcadia bio revitaliser in one pothos (thank goodness only one plant and fried it 😆)

The only plant so far that didn't do was my Boston fern I think I seen somewhere they can be tricky. Like your maiden hair. I go round each evening with a hand pressure sprayer to see what plants need toping up and what don't as my mister don't get everywhere

The only plant so far that didn't do was my Boston fern I think I seen somewhere they can be tricky. Like your maiden hair. I go round each evening with a hand pressure sprayer to see what plants need toping up and what don't as my mister don't get everywhere
I killed the maiden hair already hahahaha the other ferns especially the kangaroo fern I bought Is loving my bedrooms lighting. I ended up putting a mini monstera in its place hoping it will climb the branches. And provide some cover. The arbicola I added will need to be cut back in time to thin out a canopy but so far so good. Spending the day outside as my dude is having a full shed so exciting

Attachments

• PXL_20210306_204654911.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210306_204654911.PORTRAIT.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 103
My arbicola dwarf is growing fast under the jungle dawn it was only 5 inches when I got it so placed it up high and just keep moving it down last check 2 weeks ago has doubled in 8 weeks

Testing lighting and temps and need to start covering soil with deco rock 🪨🪨🪨.

Will be adding two diagonal branches to go from the center area out to those tall vertical options on the far side the two horizontal perch branches I have are a littler low so I want to give another option.

There are bare spots on the side walls that I plan to put more foliage into as well.

It's nice to see it under the led. I cannot recommend the 70w sansi enough it's beautiful bright and compact.

I ended up returning my quad fixture and got a dual bulb sub blaze. It lacks a timer but it's built well (this double puts out more light than the oddesa quad OMG thank you @Beman )View attachment 294001
That main piece of wood you have is amazing. One of the best I've ever seen. Do you know what type of wood it is?

Back
Top Bottom