about to go in a a new build / living wall

despite some set backs poor planning and having to work i made some progress, but also was considering making a change has anyone worked with items like this https://www.neherpetoculture.com/mossslurrycaresheet

will i be able to keep it that humid probably not but curious none the less i have several bags of craft moss from michaels and will use that but i might end up trying this if i find space for it or maybe just line another screen with it lol

Last edited:
So Ive been spinning my wheels a bit. Been struggling to get the coco coir and sphag dried out ended up laying it out in the sun baking it in the oven and even using my grill (which turned out to be the best method as for time to dry a cookie tray) I've lost a lot of time and motivation but the light at the end is still bright. Wish I had started drying this stuff last week... The moral of the story is to plan ahead I did not and it's cost me.

Great stuff is all set and carved down I am hoping to get the silicone applied a brush did not seem to be effective i suspect using my hand will prove the best tool.

Anyway until the cage is done and ready for plants I've got a jungle in my bedroom and the sansi 70w led is awesome 😎 seriously love it to supplement light I've toyed with it on the existing enclosure and use it to keep these plants alive now. Bang for buck is there and I appreciate the waterproofing on the switch.

Everything I've read on dendro boards seems to suggest drying the coco coir and substrate materials before applying to silicone provided better results. Figured I shouldn't cut another corner so today I've been BBQ coco coir. Fml

So Ive been spinning my wheels a bit. Been struggling to get the coco coir and sphag dried out ended up laying it out in the sun baking it in the oven and even using my grill (which turned out to be the best method as for time to dry a cookie tray) I've lost a lot of time and motivation but the light at the end is still bright. Wish I had started drying this stuff last week... The moral of the story is to plan ahead I did not and it's cost me.

Great stuff is all set and carved down I am hoping to get the silicone applied a brush did not seem to be effective i suspect using my hand will prove the best tool.

Anyway until the cage is done and ready for plants I've got a jungle in my bedroom and the sansi 70w led is awesome 😎 seriously love it to supplement light I've toyed with it on the existing enclosure and use it to keep these plants alive now. Bang for buck is there and I appreciate the waterproofing on the switch.

Everything I've read on dendro boards seems to suggest drying the coco coir and substrate materials before applying to silicone provided better results. Figured I shouldn't cut another corner so today I've been BBQ coco coir. Fml
Keep it up, then end result will be so worth it! And yes, dry material for a background is a must. Try to find an old stiff paintbrush to apply the silicone, it always works way better than my hands for me!

Yehaw

Attachments

• PXL_20210224_234050231.jpg
    PXL_20210224_234050231.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 87
Stood it up and only have a few bald spots to fill tomorrow, half the plan for the moss is to assist in coverage and for focal point. Hoping to address that first thing in the am then address plants and branches... Not very happy with the overall texture of the background at the moment. Orchid bark sphagnum and coco coir dried then applied today

I am happy with the profile from the side the foam carved back so other than the pots I am not losing space I'd rather have the plants in the back wall and keep the sides more vines to allow side to side movement in hindered as the 24*24*48 allows me some freedoms to plant items higher or lower and fill the soon to be amazing branch networks. Grabbed another goldfish plant to add color and hope that the colored foliage and mosses as well as airplants will create the pop and definition I'm looking for. 😤😤😤

Attachments

• PXL_20210225_031909407.jpg
    PXL_20210225_031909407.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 107
Stood it up and only have a few bald spots to fill tomorrow, half the plan for the moss is to assist in coverage and for focal point. Hoping to address that first thing in the am then address plants and branches... Not very happy with the overall texture of the background at the moment. Orchid bark sphagnum and coco coir dried then applied today

I am happy with the profile from the side the foam carved back so other than the pots I am not losing space I'd rather have the plants in the back wall and keep the sides more vines to allow side to side movement in hindered as the 24*24*48 allows me some freedoms to plant items higher or lower and fill the soon to be amazing branch networks. Grabbed another goldfish plant to add color and hope that the colored foliage and mosses as well as airplants will create the pop and definition I'm looking for. 😤😤😤
I honestly think it looks great! With those plants, your filled out cage will definitely pop and pull everything together! Just remember, nothing is ever perfect, so find the pros in what you think are the cons, and go from there! Also, if you’re really truly upset with the foam, you can cut the parts covered in silicone and substrate away and refoam and carve until you’re happy, too (just make sure to stay sane through that process!).

Looks fantastic so far can't wait to see the final product

Looks really good. I have one stupid question before you get farther. Did you add in drain holes into the mold for your pots to drain out excess water? If not may cause a bit of a water log issue staying in the pot and mold.

Looks really good. I have one stupid question before you get farther. Did you add in drain holes into the mold for your pots to drain out excess water? If not may cause a bit of a water log issue staying in the pot and mold.
I wish I took / could find a better photo I ran irrigation drainage out the back of the egg crate so it all goes into my drainage tray out the back and avoids ever going into the scape. Had given this so much though since I've got 10 pots mounted now 🤔 Had a few ideas after several attempts this proved to be the one for my situation. A quick drill ran the lines and silicones them into the base before applying the great stuff

I wish I took / could find a better photo I ran irrigation drainage out the back of the egg crate so it all goes into my drainage tray out the back and avoids ever going into the scape. Had given this so much though since I've got 10 pots mounted now 🤔 Had a few ideas after several attempts this proved to be the one for my situation. A quick drill ran the lines and silicones them into the base before applying the great stuff
I figured you had thought of something lol

That is really a great idea!

Do you think the moss will adhear well enough being siliconed to the dirt? I just ran out of silicone and need to make a run to the store I'll let this set for a bit and find out I suppose. I may need to drill more holes after when making mounts for my epiphytic plants and airplants so I guess I can make some moss perches of these end up falling off. I know on glass tanks they normally paint over the foam on the sides I think if it is visible I'll be covering the foam on the sides of the screen with moss as well it looks a hell of a lot nicer and will not mind the overspray from the mist king (which reminds me I need to set up my sprayer nozzles on this tank as well).

I think it'll be aired out and ready to planted over the weekend. Anyhow off to get more silicone and wash / prep some plants .

I figured you had thought of something lol

That is really a great idea!
The irrigation tubing is nice and cheap, very sturdy and is very similar to the mist king line but has a nicer flexibility to run it out of the back and down without losing its integrity.

It's a mess but you get the idea these lines as mentioned above are pretty flexible and will (hopefully) accommodate drainage. Also moss on the wall to cover silicone / g.s and planter

Attachments

• PXL_20210226_055344540.jpg
    PXL_20210226_055344540.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 97
  • PXL_20210226_055419734.jpg
    PXL_20210226_055419734.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 98
Back
Top Bottom