[ A Whole New Variety!}

DawnLove

Yay, so while at work today, I sent my boyfriend to pick up some feeders from Dave at Georgia Bugs..much nicer than waiting on orders to be shipped, that's for sure! ;)

|| Some silkworms (I wanted him to pick up some eggs as well, but I guess he forgot that part..LOL)

|| Some Crickets

|| Breeding Pair of Dubia Roaches..now this is where this new thread comes into play...Whats the best method for breeding these lil suckers?
(sheesh I NEVER thought I'd be breeding roaches in my house :eek: LOL)
He included 2 females with the one male.

I can't wait til she gets to try one, the only dubia roaches he had were appearently too large for her..

She's already yummed down 2 silkworms, so I'd say it's been "Approved"! ha

Thanks Dave!
:D

Roach, tub, heat pad, food, water gel.

Put roach in tub
put heat pad under tub
plug in heat pad
add food
add water
wait
wait
add more food + water
wait
wait
wait
add more food + water
wait
wait
wait

with only 2 female roach it will take quite a while to get any sort of colony going. Getting more will take off some of the wait's.

Some people claim that calcium will kill roaches. I mention this because most water crystals sold for insects is calcium-enhanced. Of course you can get regular water crystals, too. That being said, I use these calcium-enhanced crystals with my roaches and they thrive. I wouldn't use regular water because roaches are messy and will definitely spill it everywhere, which will lead to obvious problems.

But yeah, other than that it's hard to go wrong with roaches. Leave em alone with food, water gels, and heat and their numbers will increase exponentially.

Some people claim that calcium will kill roaches. I mention this because most water crystals sold for insects is calcium-enhanced. Of course you can get regular water crystals, too. That being said, I use these calcium-enhanced crystals with my roaches and they thrive. I wouldn't use regular water because roaches are messy and will definitely spill it everywhere, which will lead to obvious problems.

But yeah, other than that it's hard to go wrong with roaches. Leave em alone with food, water gels, and heat and their numbers will increase exponentially.

Ahh UCF, I've frequented that campus many a times... I started off at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University though...

SOOO many of my friends went to UCF, so I've had some good ol times there!! :D

Roach, tub, heat pad, food, water gel.
Put roach in tub
put heat pad under tub
plug in heat pad
add food
add water
wait
wait
add more food + water
wait
wait
wait
add more food + water
wait
wait
wait

with only 2 female roach it will take quite a while to get any sort of colony going. Getting more will take off some of the wait's.

This sounds absolutely enthralling........

LOL:p

Totally, a real rollercoaster ride for sure. Soon you will be telling your friends that you will be staying home on Fridays to watch the roaches.

Or not...

Once you have enough its always a good time to toss in a banana and watch it vanish in under a min.

Totally, a real rollercoaster ride for sure. Soon you will be telling your friends that you will be staying home on Fridays to watch the roaches.

Or not...

Once you have enough its always a good time to toss in a banana and watch it vanish in under a min.

LOL yeah.... I think this is one amazing story I will NOT be telling at parties! :eek:

If I really wanna mess with one of my friends, Im gonna tell them to look in the "bin"...that is, if they are looking for something...LOL should come as a nice fun surprise...I will from that point on, be dubbed as the girl who's utterly lost her mind! LOL:rolleyes:

I was thinking Mulberry Farms ? Unless you know of a better place? :)

Thats where I get them from, and they are about $8 per 25. They are a bit more then silks asfar as cost, yet have a refrigertor shelf life of about a month. Did you end up getting those silk eggs yet?? I would get small silks from mulberry and some chow instead. The eggs are alot of work and if not kept sterile and at the proper humidity you will loose quite a few. Get 100 smalls and see how you do from there. They grow like weeds!!!:) I get 200 for my 3 chams and am happy with that. When you place an order with mulberry it's very easy to end up with a huge variety in a hurry though!!:eek: Before you know it you have a little of this and a little of that and then your cart is up to $75!:p I like to try them all... My usually order includes the following:

200 Small Silkworms
25 Butterworms
150 Small Phoenix Worms
100 Medium Phoenix Worms
1 Pod of Hornworms
1000 3 week old Crickets
1000 4 week old Crickets
2 Lbs of Un-cooked Silkworm Chow

Seams like a ton of stuff, but you only have to pay shipping once. Mind you I have 3 chams and you have 1, so order acordingly.;)

I keep crickets in rubbermaid style tubs with custom screen lids and silks in simular tubs that are shallower. Phoenix's in the crisper drawer, along with the butters and hornworms where its warm. I have found the #1 killer for feeders is moisture. keep them in a dry area and not to cold and your golden.

Good Luck Dawn!;)

-Jay

Last edited:
Orrrrrrrrrr just toss them onto unsuspecting friends that come over for BBQ'S!!! :D

DSC03388.jpg

DSC03392.jpg

always one for the fallen.
DSC03387.jpg

I find that this is better done with hissing roaches as they really have a grip and you can feel em when they move.

Doh Brock, did I fail!?! LOL Hmmm....you know growing up in Florida, roaches were NEVER a problem when it came to breeding faster than people could kill them.. LOL Of course when you actually WANT them, it's a whole new ballgame..

Back
Top Bottom