A Veiled, a Panther and an African Gray in the same room

unixmiah

Hi all,
I have a good size room-- much bigger than a kids bedroom. I don't know the exact size, I'll take a picture shortly.

The Veiled and Panther are free rangers-- but the free range is only surrounds their enclosure, it doesn't branch out to other parts of the room-- they have their own area. Although they can see each other they are 12-14 feet apart--they mind their own business. If I had to keep the enclosure next to each other I would have kept a black cloth in between them so they can't see eachother. They are much happier to live out of the enclosure, plus I gave both of them a huge window to look out at to give them eye candy-- they mostly stare at bugs; they take their turn, if one's by the window the other one waits vice versa. I've bought them very close to eachother-- they don't puff up like how I saw on youtube, once they see another Chameleon they get mad.

Now, across from them I created an area with a clear floor matt. The African Gray will have it's own elevated stand and the cage on the matt.

I was wondering if seeing something this big could stress them out. Are chameleons scared of birds? do they see them as a threat as if they saw another dominant male Chameleon in their room? Has anyone put an african gray or any parrot in the same room as a Chameleon?

Is there any chance that they can hurt eachother? The bird is Docile and talks his a** off all day (doesn't scream), sometimes ramble, curses, makes random noises. I'm wondering if all the talking can stress them out? I'm getting worried, the bird comes in next week and I haven't planned where he'll stay, most likely in the Chameleon room.

IMAGE UPDATE: Room Setup,
==========================================================================
full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,
I have a good size room-- much bigger than a kids bedroom. I don't know the exact size, I'll take a picture shortly.

The Veiled and Panther are free rangers-- but the free range is only surrounds their enclosure, it doesn't branch out to other parts of the room-- they have their own area. Although they can see each other they are 12-14 feet apart--they mind their own business. If I had to keep the enclosure next to each other I would have kept a black cloth in between them so they can't see eachother. They are much happier to live out of the enclosure, plus I gave both of them a huge window to look out at to give them eye candy-- they mostly stare at bugs; they take their turn, if one's by the window the other one waits vice versa. I've bought them very close to eachother-- they don't puff up like how I saw on youtube, once they see another Chameleon they get mad.

Now, across from them I created an area with a clear floor matt. The African Gray will have it's own elevated stand and the cage on the matt.

I was wondering if seeing something this big could stress them out. Are chameleons scared of birds? do they see them as a threat as if they saw another dominant male Chameleon in their room? Has anyone put an african gray or any parrot in the same room as a Chameleon?

Is there any chance that they can hurt eachother? The bird is Docile and talks his *** off all day (doesn't scream). I'm wondering if all the talking can stress them out? I'm getting worried, the bird comes in next week and I haven't planned where he'll stay, most likely in the Chameleon room.

I would be very very cautious with the grey. They are intensely curious and intelligent problem solvers and if it can figure out a way to reach your chams' free range it will. It can easily injure or kill your chams, or do a lot of damaged to the free range structure.

Chameleons would see a bird as a potential threat. In the wild, I believe birds are one of the natural predators of chameleons. Your gray might not actually eat your chams, but I agree - with as curious and clever as they are, I would worry about the safety of a smaller animal of any kind. Everything might be fine for months or years, then one day, the parrot decides he wants in investigate those funny looking things on the other side of the room.

Plus, I always worry about the long-term effect of prolonged stress being in close proximity to a "predator". I might worry too much, I admit to that.

We see a lot of posts that say things like "my cat completely ignores my chameleon, they're friends, lol" and those same people return later with posts asking how to treat bites and scratches. I would hate for that to happen to your little guys.

I wouldn't do it either, birds are a natural predator to them. It would be like living your life in a room with a guy sitting on the other side with a loaded gun pointed at you the whole time - he might not shoot you, but it's still pretty darn stressful.

My Cham tracks birds outside. Every time one flies over he twists around the branch. My dog is completely unaware we even have a chameleon. Never even sniffed the enclosure. My guy will do that same twisting when he passes by. He is in his own room and I always make sure the door is closed when I'm not home. I wouldn't want my dog to flop down and sleep right in front of his enclosure and torture him all day. The stress alone will shorten their lives.

Bad idea. I have an African Grey, and as stated by others...incredibly smart problem solvers. Your chameleon will be terrified of it and you're asking for trouble. Don't do it.

I would never ever ever have a free range chameleon anywhere near a parrot, even a docile Grey.

One of my African Greys almost killed my rooster(!) that I had housed in one of my 20 foot aviaries. The rooster was much bigger and heavier than the Grey. The rooster had been living with the Greys for months. The Grey broke his jaw, tore holes in his throat, and almost ripped off his comb. I really thought the rooster would die--he was in shock for a long time. The rooster did not attack the Grey--the Grey went to the ground after the rooster.

My macaws will pull anything through the bars that end up on their cage/aviary.

The presence of the bird will be very stressful to the chameleon as others have mentioned.

Sh*t and da*mn-- I don't have the room. I will have to work out a blocker. As you can see from the pictures above that my room is already setup. I have a 2BR apartment and I dedicated one to my pets.

I do have places in my house that can facilitate a parrot. But I put my Chameleon next to the Sun and I want them to have a view of the outside to keep them happy.

I know it's a Chameleon website-- does anyone know if the AfricanG requires any Sun? Can they be in an area that doesn't have to have direct sunlight. Could they be kept in room corner?

I saw few youtube vidoes of Chams walking around freely and the bird is hanging out with them, a mistake is what it is-- I should have checked here before I paid for the bird and I'm picking him up next Wednesday.

How do you do it so they'll benefit from the sun coming in through the window? Open it? I've thought about this before but the room my Cham is in has a window closer to the floor and only the bottom 1/3 opens making it a useless idea since UVB can't make it through the glass, or so I've read.

Oh by the way, when I read the title of the thread, totally thought it was going to be a joke about a . . . well you know.

Just a side note on the pics;

Having the enclosures on the floor can be additionally stressful to your cham. Even though they can climb to the top of their enclosure they notice the height level, of say, when you walk around the room, and that they're lower than you' they don't like this....

Sh*t and da*mn-- I don't have the room. I will have to work out a blocker. As you can see from the pictures above that my room is already setup. I have a 2BR apartment and I dedicated one to my pets.

I do have places in my house that can facilitate a parrot. But I put my Chameleon next to the Sun and I want them to have a view of the outside to keep them happy.

I know it's a Chameleon website-- does anyone know if the AfricanG requires any Sun? Can they be in an area that doesn't have to have direct sunlight. Could they be kept in room corner?

I saw few youtube vidoes of Chams walking around freely and the bird is hanging out with them, a mistake is what it is-- I should have checked here before I paid for the bird and I'm picking him up next Wednesday.

Birds are very dependent on light as I'm sure you are aware. Ambient light alone will certainly affect its quality of life, but full spectrum would be a benefit. However, many people who have kept parrots didn't provide full spectrum light on their birds and they lived long lives. There are full spectrum bulbs available for parrots these days. I use one on my indoor aviary to help regulate the daylength during our dark winters.

Unless your parrot is ALWAYS caged while in that room its not going to work. But, caging the grey all the time would make it miserable and lead to all sorts of behavioral problems.

Baby Bush
Someone told me that before-- they don't seem to mind but I'm going to take your advice and elevate the enclosure. I did notice the little one gets strange when he's in his enclosure-- making it high would be better. ty.

Carlton: will the full spectrum light affect the chameleon being in the same room? thank you for the suggestion and info.

I had an African Grey for 26 years. I got her when I was 14 and she died when I was 40 from cancer :( Her name was Charlie, she was my baby girl and went everywhere with me.
African Greys are very smart and social birds and they can really bond with their owner. Because they are so smart they need lots of activity and stimulation with their human flock. The worst thing you could do is to leave her isolated in a room. It causes extreme emotional stress and can lead to feather plucking and other OCD behaviors along with other health issues. The best thing you could do is to keep your Grey in a room where there is a lot of activity and interaction.

Carlton: will the full spectrum light affect the chameleon being in the same room? thank you for the suggestion and info.

No.

I had an African Grey for 26 years. I got her when I was 14 and she died when I was 40 from cancer :( Her name was Charlie, she was my baby girl and went everywhere with me.
African Greys are very smart and social birds and they can really bond with their owner. Because they are so smart they need lots of activity and stimulation with their human flock. The worst thing you could do is to leave her isolated in a room. It causes extreme emotional stress and can lead to feather plucking and other OCD behaviors along with other health issues. The best thing you could do is to keep your Grey in a room where there is a lot of activity and interaction.

Completely agree with this. They will want to be right in the middle of the daily house routine. They even suffer when everyone (their flock) leaves for school, work, errands during the day. I've kept parrots and cockatoos for years and unless I was home all day I would not keep this type of bird again.

Also somewhere on this tread you asked if your Grey would get along with other animals? The answer is no. My Grey pretty much had the run of the house and my cats and dogs were afraid of her. She would latterly puff up and chase them around the room telling them that they were "Naugty" and to "Go Lay Down" and "Get outa Here!"her favorite thing was to sneak up to my dog when she was sleeping and bite her in the tail! I also had a Goffins cockatoo that almost lost a foot because she dared to climb on my Greys cage Lol!

Completely agree with this. They will want to be right in the middle of the daily house routine. They even suffer when everyone (their flock) leaves for school, work, errands during the day. I've kept parrots and cockatoos for years and unless I was home all day I would not keep this type of bird again.

Same here! That's why I had to take her every where haha! :) that's why I didn't get another one. She was amazing, had an incredible vocabulary but she was like living with a 3 year old child for 26 years Lol! It's a huge responsibility. But I miss her still!!

The "good" part of this is that the chameleons don't mind being in a lower activity space - it would actually be better for them. I would give preference for window views, interaction, and activity to the parrot. Window views are great for chams when possible, but if well cared for are not as critical as stimulation for the gray. Hopefully you'll find a good solution.

Personally, I would keep the gray in the living room if possible, but I understand that apartments are sometimes tiny. I've always wanted a parrot, but the commitment scares me!

Back
Top Bottom