A tribute to Loretta

ferretinmyshoes

Veterinarian
Staff member
It has been a very rough time at my house lately. I just lost my sweet Loretta, my female panther. So soon after Oscar and so unexpectedly. I knew she was holding a clutch longer than normal but was still eating, active, and being her normal social self so I waited patiently and kept her laying bin how she likes it. She's never had a problem with egg laying before. And about a month and a half overdue she suddenly had sunken in eyes one morning. So I brought home some oxytocin and calcium gluconate and with just one injection she laid the whole clutch within two hours. She didn't dig a hole but she dropped them all so I thought we were good. Exactly one week later when I went in to feed she was falling off her branch, eyes very sunken again and looked bad. I rushed her to work with me and did X-rays and ultrasound which looked normal, gave her some fluids, antiinflammatories, and antibiotics in case of coelomitis. I was even considering taking her to surgery in case she had a ruptured egg yolk to flush it out, but in her state I knew that would kill her. She perked up over the next two days and I was hopeful. And the next morning she was gone. On her necropsy everything looked normal - no coelomitis or ruptured egg yolk or anything. I sent off organ samples looking for microscopic disease and those came back all normal as well. I don't know what happened. She was such a sweet girl and I just don't know what went wrong.

The hardest part about being a vet is knowing an animal is sick and not being able to help it. And it's so much worse when it's my own animal. :(

Loretta is just one of many heartbreaks lately...Buster my jacksons died of old age a few months ago, then a rescue turtle I was rehabbing, then Oscar my favorite cham ever, then a rescue tortoise I was trying really hard to save (he was in terrible shape unfortunately from ten years of abuse), then Dot my baby turtle after my *** of a cat forcefully broke into her cage, then sweet Loretta, and I just checked on my turtles in hibernation and found Pancakes my 50+ year old tortoise just died in the last week between weighings. Temps were perfect, his weight was steady, he hadnt been under too long at all. AND to top it off my dog Moki has been fighting off lymphoma for the last 4 years and has just stopped responding to her chemo, and there is really not much left to try with everything she's been through (to amazing success at least). So....if you haven't seen me around lately it's because I can't bear to talk animals too much right now as there has been an unfair share of heartbreak in my house lately. :(

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing your tribute. Loretta sounds special, and while you have my sincere condolences for the sad recent events, it is good to hear these stories and the love they represent.

Oh my gosh Dayna! So sorry to hear all of this. I know all of your animals have gotten the very best of care, but things sometimes are just out of our control that we cannot blame ourselves for. I feel your pain, as I have felt the heartbreak of losing many pets over the years. It hurts even more I am sure losing them all in such a short span of time. My condolences for all the little loved ones you have lost and I am very sorry about Moki not doing well.

Dayna, I am so sorry to hear about Loretta, Buster and all of your other babies. Having to say good bye it the very worst part about having pets. My heart breaks for you. I will be keeping Moki in my prayers.

Dayna, just reading your post makes me cry. I can't imagine how devastated you are. Knowing a lot of us have been there really doesn't help at all except to say you have lots of love, and condolences coming your way. I will pray for Moki.

I am so, terribly, sorry for all that you've had to go through recently. It does seem like life hands us things in buckets, instead of drips at a time. Best of luck to Moki, and to you for dealing with all of this. We are all here for you when you are ready.

Thank you guys. I love being surrounded by my animals but the hardest part about having lots of pets is that you have that many goodbyes to ultimately make. I can handle it though, just not when they're this close together, this many unexpected deaths, and so many big ones. :(

sad

My veiled chameleon died in my arms a while back and that was very painful for me, but I can hardly imagining you loosing all those wonderful pets to the diseases and things that were out of your control it makes me cry.

Oh no. So sorry to hear of someone losing so many of their dear pets so close to one another. It must be especially tough having to know that you've done everything the right way.

Pets, just like people, all have an expiration date. Unfortunately, we never know when that date will come.

Best wishes.

Dayna, sorry to hear about your loss. That always stinks, however knowing your skill its a safe bet that they all had the best care possible and nothing you could have done would have made a difference. Because of you I have a Tortoise that is alive and well!

Dayna,
It may not help much right now, but try to remember all of the success stories and miracles that you have had a part in. They just have to bring a smile to your face no matter how tough things are. (One three legged miracle is rubbing my arm as I type :D) I'm so sorry that you are going through this right now, and we are all praying for Moki.

RIP little Loretta.

So sorry to hear about all your losses over the past few weeks. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you. I know you have done the best for them from all the help you have offered others, including myself, when we have had sick animals. I hope your remaining animals bring you comfort.

Dayna, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of all your wonderful pets, and wish the best for Moki. I know you did everything in your power to help them, and appreciate all the help you give to all of us when we ask.

I hope Springtime will bring you some joy with all the new life, and you can leave this winter behind.

Back
Top Bottom