A tiny brown spot underneath female veild chameleons eye and more aggressive.

Dylanross777

Just today I noticed that my female veild chameleon has a brown spot underneath her eye,I'm not for sure on what this could be?
When I try to explain the issues with my chameleon with my mum,she tells me "She's fine,your overthinking about it."
But I still have my concerns about her health,as I should.
And she's become more aggressive towards me,and yet again I'm not forsure on why.
I got her near Christmas time,and at that time my mum had her tank long ways,which my mum couldn't afford another tank so I just placed it upwards so her sticks could be higher up (she does have plants as well that she can get ahold of to climb down.)
I try to take her out whenever I can,and I take her out also when I clean her tank (I use water and soap and yes I make sure all the soap is gone before i put it back in her tank.)
I've needed to take her out to try to remove some of her dead skin but,she ends up climbing up my arm and onto my head. I've tried using a spray bottle with warm water in it,but I don't like just directly spraying her. I've tried a q tip but,she ends up grabbing the q tip or running up my arm onto my head.
Only reason why I've tried is,when we first got her and she started to shed her skin got stuck around her leg,and she now has a scar from it.
I feed her 4 mealworms and 2 crickets,and I do spray them and wait.
I've tried hand feeding,but sometimes she prefers just to find them herself.
I did recently change her light,to a regular day time light,to a basking light...this may be why she's more aggressive I'm not for sure.
Alot of people have just tried to grab her from her tank,which I don't like doing,I feel like that causes even more stress to the chameleon.
I know,that I'm supposed to put some information about her on here I read what I'm supposed to put but completely forgot it all..I'm mainly concerned about the brown spot underneath her eye..it's only on one side.
I honestly feel like I'm doing something wrong.
I know that her tank,is near a window so she can shout at drivers going "to fast" 😂.
All seriousness,I'm just a concerned chameleon owner.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210319-183420_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210319-183420_Gallery.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 92
  • Screenshot_20210319-183349_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210319-183349_Gallery.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot_20210319-183341_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210319-183341_Gallery.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 20210319_183240.jpg
    20210319_183240.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 87
Unfortunately, theres a lot going on in your post that are red flags to me. Your cham is not in a proper enclosure, not being provided the vitamins it needs, not being provided correct lighting, not being fed a correctly, amongst a plethora of other things. This is a tough situation, because i know you are the expense of your mothers decisions. A lot of the husbandry issues you have can potentially lead to your chameleon developing MBD, which would cause severe deformity and lead to death. You also should be aware that female chameleons lay infertile eggs kind of like chickens, and need a proper place to do so or she will become egg bound.

We can definitely review your husbandry for you, but it will cost a bit of money to correct the issues. You might have to sit down with your mother and go over all the changes and discuss what you guys are able to come up.

Please fill out the form below:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
  • Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
  • Current Problem
- The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I hate that I haven't been taken care of her properly):,I've tried to speak with my mother about what she needs and she never listens,it's very hard to speak with her because she's tried to tell me they don't need this,or that and it's hard to get anything through her head. I'll try my hardest to speak to her about this,it's a rough relationship between her and I.
And I'll post pictures in a few,so you guys can see her sides and her leg

I did give her a little area,were she can lay eggs so she's not egg bound. I know she's had issues with her arm,the one that she got the skin stuck on..she doesn't use it as much

Attachments

• 20210320_125006.jpg
    20210320_125006.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 20210320_124940.jpg
    20210320_124940.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 20210320_124949.jpg
    20210320_124949.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 20210320_124932.jpg
    20210320_124932.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 20210320_124907.jpg
    20210320_124907.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 76
I did give her a little area,were she can lay eggs so she's not egg bound. I know she's had issues with her arm,the one that she got the skin stuck on..she doesn't use it as much
Can you post pics of the full enclosure and the laybin?

It doesn't look very nice,I have more soil if I need to add more to it,I've tried to make it a bit homie because she freaks out when she goes in there.
I do also have an area of soil in her cage for her,because I noticed she was digging on the corner of her tank.
I'd rather come here to speak about the needs of my chameleon,rather to my mum because obviously she isn't getting the proper treatment and neither is my brothers (who I take care of most of the time)

Attachments

• 20210320_130747.jpg
    20210320_130747.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 20210320_130730.jpg
    20210320_130730.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 20210320_130647.jpg
    20210320_130647.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 65
  • 20210320_130644.jpg
    20210320_130644.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 20210320_130737.jpg
    20210320_130737.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 20210320_130922.jpg
    20210320_130922.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 65
Just thought I'd update y'all
So,I made her another tank this one is much bigger than the one she has now,I'm going to speak to mum about getting a UVB light,and any way I can keep tract of how warm her tank is. Here in a second I'm going to figure out something for her,about the whole laying eggs thing,I'm not for sure when she'll have them but I'm going to just be prepared for when.
I've informed my brother about the spraying their food,and he now knows.
I'm going to search more in depth about her care,just so I don't miss anything.
I'd hate for her to get sick,or possibly die.
I appreciate being told more
I guess I assumed since my mum had a chameleon,she would know all about what they need..and I was terribly wrong..so I'm going to spend time on her and money.

I'm not experienced with veileds, but that arm looks broken. This could be the start of MBD paired with a fall or rough handling (like if she held on to a branch and someone pulled until she let go), though I don't see several of the other normal signs. Hopefully @Beman and/or @kinyonga can offer insight? You may want to get a vet involved as well

Oh no,I really hope it's not either..I know who I got her from..when we got her,her arm was like that...and I'm going to talk with my mum about this..and see who I can speak with about her arm

I know this is when her arm was all messed up,it's my wallpaper because I just love her colors in this and it's the only clear one I have.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210320-194736_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20210320-194736_One UI Home.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 73
Did you get her from a breeder? Pet store?

Is your egg laying bin INSIDE the cage? You're using the wrong substrate in the bin.

What supplements are you using? How often for each? D they have D3 in them or phosphorous or vitamin A?

Do you not have a UVB light at all?

There is so much wrong with what you're doing...it's going to take a while to go over it all.

This lady just pulled her off the tree in Florida and I hated the idea of that,I don't like taking animals from their natural habitat and I've felt very guilty about it since then. I refused to get her from a pet store or even a pet breeder.

You said..."Just today I noticed that my female veild chameleon has a brown spot underneath her eye,I'm not for sure on what this could be?"... I'm not sure what it is. Can you get a closer photo of it please.

You said..."When I try to explain the issues with my chameleon with my mum,she tells me "She's fine,your overthinking about it."
And she's become more aggressive towards me,and yet again I'm not forsure on why"...you're right...you should be concerned about it. When did she get the mustardy yellow splotches or did she have them when you got her?

Said..." got her near Christmas time,and at that time my mum had her tank long ways,which my mum couldn't afford another tank so I just placed it upwards so her sticks could be higher up (she does have plants as well that she can get ahold of to climb down.)"...so it's an aquarium stood on end? And the plants are fake? With veiled chameleons the plants should be real (nontoxic well washed, both sides of the leaves) plants because veileds will munch on them and if they ingest a fake one it could cause an impaction.

You said..."I try to take her out whenever I can,and I take her out also when I clean her tank (I use water and soap and yes I make sure all the soap is gone before i put it back in her tank.)"... Do you take her outside?

You said..."I've needed to take her out to try to remove some of her dead skin but, she ends up climbing up my arm and onto my head. I've tried using a spray bottle with warm water in it,but I don't like just directly spraying her. I've tried a q tip but,she ends up grabbing the q tip or running up my arm onto my head"... She should shed on her own...don't pull pieces off. Also, you shouldn't spray her she'd...it won't help and may make things worse.

You said..."Only reason why I've tried is,when we first got her and she started to shed her skin got stuck around her leg,and she now has a scar from it"...looked broken to me.

You said..."I feed her 4 mealworms and 2 crickets, and I do spray them and wait"...spray them with what? There are better choices than mealworms such as BSFL, roaches, silkworms, and once in a while superworms, waxworms, hornworms, etc. They should be well fed and dusted just before you feed them to the chameleon with proper supplements.

You said..."I did recently change her light, to a regular day time light, to a basking light...this may be why she's more aggressive I'm not for sure"...so does she have a UVB light at all?

You said..."
"ALot of people have just tried to grab her from her tank, which I don't like doing, I feel like that causes even more stress to the chameleon"... and it can break her bones and damage her in other ways too.
----
You said..."I made her another tank this one is much bigger than the one she has now...photos of it please.

You said..."I'm going to speak to mum about getting a UVB light,and any way I can keep tract of how warm her tank is"... Good...those are both important things to do.

You said..."Here in a second I'm going to figure out something for her,about the whole laying eggs thing,I'm not for sure when she'll have them but I'm going to just be prepared for when"...washed playsand is the best substrate IMHO. It's important not to overfeed her or keep the temperatures over 80F for a female because if you do she can have egglaying issues and die.

You said..."I've informed my brother about the spraying their food,and he now knows"...so your brother has one too, right?

You said..."I'm going to search more in depth about her care,just so I don't miss anything".. This is a good place to learn.

You said..."I'd hate for her to get sick,or possibly die.
I guess I assumed since my mum had a chameleon,she would know all about what they need..and I was terribly wrong..so I'm going to spend time on her and money"... With proper care, hopefully she will do well for you.

----
So,I made her another tank this one is much bigger than the one she has now,I'm going to speak to mum about getting a UVB light,and any way I can keep tract of how warm her tank is. Here in a second I'm going to figure out something for her,about the whole laying eggs thing,I'm not for sure when she'll have them but I'm going to just be prepared for when.
I guess I assumed since my mum had a chameleon,she would know all about what they need..and I was terribly wrong..so I'm going to spend time on her and money.

Last edited:
For supplements...it's recommended that you dust the insects just before feeding them to your chameleon with a phos free calcium powder at all feedings but one a week. On the feeding you don't use that powder use a vitamin powder with a preformed/retinol source of vitamin A and D3 in it. Dust lightly...you don't want insects that look like ghosts or powdered donuts.

This lady just pulled her off the tree in Florida and I hated the idea of that,I don't like taking animals from their natural habitat and I've felt very guilty about it since then. I refused to get her from a pet store or even a pet breeder.
Don't feel bad about this, chameleons are invasive in Florida. Taking them out is the right thing to do, and it's much better to end up a pet than euthanized. It seems like you care a lot about her, and many of the things wrong here are not your fault. Good job researching and seeking outside advice; asking for help is a hard thing to do!

Only reason why I've tried is,when we first got her and she started to shed her skin got stuck around her leg,and she now has a scar from it.

The arm issue isn't from the stuck shed. The shed may have been tenacious due to the angle, though. But that really, really looks like a break. The more recent pics look as though it is healed from when the pic of your background was taken, though.

Alot of people have just tried to grab her from her tank,which I don't like doing,I feel like that causes even more stress to the chameleon.

So, forcibly removing her may (probably, in fact) have been what caused her arm to be broken in the first place. Try to enforce some boundaries with your family; have them wait until she climbs out on her own, or leave her be if she doesn't. Otherwise you run the risk of causing more serious injury, in addition to causing stress and degrading trust.

I honestly feel like I'm doing something wrong.
I know that her tank,is near a window so she can shout at drivers going "to fast" 😂.

Be careful with the tank by the window. Reflections of herself as well as things outside may stress her out. Plus, as the season warms, the tank may become dangerously hot, especially if there is direct sun even for a short period. Where do you live (state)?
I'd recommend moving the tank, and if you possibly can, switching it out for something larger and with better airflow.

Again, good job asking for help. I hope you're able to help her before it's too late.

You said..."Just today I noticed that my female veild chameleon has a brown spot underneath her eye,I'm not for sure on what this could be?"... I'm not sure what it is. Can you get a closer photo of it please.

You said..."When I try to explain the issues with my chameleon with my mum,she tells me "She's fine,your overthinking about it."
And she's become more aggressive towards me,and yet again I'm not forsure on why"...you're right...you should be concerned about it. When did she get the mustardy yellow splotches or dishe have them when you got her?

Said..." got her near Christmas time,and at that time my mum had her tank long ways,which my mum couldn't afford another tank so I just placed it upwards so her sticks could be higher up (she does have plants as well that she can get ahold of to climb down.)"...so it's an aquarium stood on end? And the plants are fake? With veiled chameleons the plants should be real (nontoxic well washed, both sides of the leaves) plants because veileds will munch on them and if they ingest a fake one it could cause an impaction.

You said..."I try to take her out whenever I can,and I take her out also when I clean her tank (I use water and soap and yes I make sure all the soap is gone before i put it back in her tank.)"... Do you take her outside?

You said..."I've needed to take her out to try to remove some of her dead skin but, she ends up climbing up my arm and onto my head. I've tried using a spray bottle with warm water in it,but I don't like just directly spraying her. I've tried a q tip but,she ends up grabbing the q tip or running up my arm onto my head"... She should shed on her own...don't pull pieces off. Also, you shouldn't spray her she'd...it won't help and may make things worse.

You said..."Only reason why I've tried is,when we first got her and she started to shed her skin got stuck around her leg,and she now has a scar from it"...looked broken to me.

You said..."I feed her 4 mealworms and 2 crickets, and I do spray them and wait"...spray them with what? There are better choices than mealworms such as BSFL, roaches, silkworms, and once in a while superworms, waxworms, hornworms, etc. They should be well fed and dusted just before you feed them to the chameleon with proper supplements.

You said..."I did recently change her light, to a regular day time light, to a basking light...this may be why she's more aggressive I'm not for sure"...so does she have a UVB light at all?

You said..."
"ALot of people have just tried to grab her from her tank, which I don't like doing, I feel like that causes even more stress to the chameleon"... and it can break her bones and damage her in other ways too.
----
You said..."I made her another tank this one is much bigger than the one she has now...photos of it please.

You said..."I'm going to speak to mum about getting a UVB light,and any way I can keep tract of how warm her tank is"... Good...those are both important things to do.

You said..."Here in a second I'm going to figure out something for her,about the whole laying eggs thing,I'm not for sure when she'll have them but I'm going to just be prepared for when"...washed playsand is the best substrate IMHO. It's important not to overfeed her or keep the temperatures over 80F for a female because if you do she can have egglaying issues and die.

You said..."I've informed my brother about the spraying their food,and he now knows"...so your brother has one too, right?

You said..."I'm going to search more in depth about her care,just so I don't miss anything".. This is a good place to learn.

You said..."I'd hate for her to get sick,or possibly die.
I guess I assumed since my mum had a chameleon,she would know all about what they need..and I was terribly wrong..so I'm going to spend time on her and money"... With proper care, hopefully she will do well for you.

----
I definitely will,also I'm trying to look into vets..and get a part time job to help pay for her visit or anything else she needs done there..with the tank it's sat upright..she was upset when it was long ways I guess you would say..like pawing at the sides and trying to get out..she's always had the mustard yellow on her,she has some odd colors..and my brother suggested that I use warm water to try to help it..I haven't sprayed her..I know she hates that..I feed her mealworms and I've tried to explain to mum she can't just have mealworms all the time but yet again she doesn't understand
I filed for unemployment,I don't know how long that will take..and with the job I can get everything she properly needs..so no she doesn't currently have a UVB..my brother has a male veiled chameleon,yes.
With the tank I made for her,It's an old dresser that no one had used..I cleaned it..and took it apart so she can just explore..
I just need to find the proper I guess you could say "door"
And I'm checking currently on vets in my area..I'm gonna save up to take her because my mum would say it's a pointless trip..

Back
Top Bottom