A sign of shedding, right?

Jupiter

About a week ago I posted about Aesop snapping the air and was told it's a sign of an impending shed. He's been doing more of yawning type thing recently, just wanted to make sure that that is still in order. I'm not super worried because he has a definite peel on his leg that was there when I got him, and his head is starting to get some white on it, almost like hard water stains, except he gets misted with pure water. Just want to double check though.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by "snapping the air". Is he gaping or gulping air? That isn't really a sign of shedding but could be a sign of a respiratory infection starting up. But, if he's active, eating and drinking probably not. Raise his humidity level to help him get on with the shed.

I mean opening his mouth and closing it quickly, like he's biting at the air. He only did it once. If by gaping you mean just sitting there with his mouth open then no, and I don't think I would describe it as gulping, it's really more like a yawn. He puffs out his throat and opens his mouth super wide at medium speen the closes it slowly over the course of ten seconds or so.

He is doing all of those things and seems to be thriving to me, but I have exactly once week of cham experience. I'll try covering the top of his cage with a wet towel and some plastic sheeting tonight.

I mean opening his mouth and closing it quickly, like he's biting at the air. He only did it once. If by gaping you mean just sitting there with his mouth open then no, and I don't think I would describe it as gulping, it's really more like a yawn. He puffs out his throat and opens his mouth super wide at medium speen the closes it slowly over the course of ten seconds or so.

He is doing all of those things and seems to be thriving to me, but I have exactly once week of cham experience. I'll try covering the top of his cage with a wet towel and some plastic sheeting tonight.

If he does this when he's been basking for a while he may just be warmed up and ready to move away from the heat. If he isn't doing this over and over and looking sick he may just be yawning!

So this is going down.

He's been rubbing his eye a little bit and I guess he's starting to shed so I figure it can't hurt.

are you sure he's not doing it towards you?

Yeah I'm pretty sure thats what it is now haha. He did it twice in a row when I went in for some closeups with my phone. That's the first time its been so obviously correlated though. I guess I'll have to take it easy with the phone for a while.

There was one that definitely looked like a yawn to me, but I know you can't really apply mammal thinking to herps

Back
Top Bottom