A Question of Legality...

This is a very interesting post..lol. In all practicality, just order one from someone online, have them send it labeled "Anole" or something legal in Oh cANAda. The claim of mistake in shipping is much easier to explain then a chameleon chilling in your backseat crossing the border. Worst case scenario is you deal with the loss of the purchase price, rather then the loss of the purchase price..massive fines..and possible jail time. However, one is way less exciting then the other. :D Bruhahaha "je n'ai aucune idée comment cela y est arrivée"

I live very close to the boarder and went to the seattle reptile show for the past two years. I just wish I can bring everything back up to Canada since the prices are much lower.

So I started to contact CFIA regarding on import permit for reptiles. According to them, You dont need a import permit excpet for turtles and tortoises from all countries. Next, I contact the Canadian cite office and ask if I need Cites permit for the spices that I am intrested in bringing.
Here is waht I ot back from e-mail.

Hi,

here is the answer in black.

•Rhacodactylus ciliatus, also known as crested gecko You don't need a CITES import permit for this species.
•Rieppeleon brevicaudatus, Bearded Pygmy Chameleon You don't need a CITES import permit for this species.
•Chamaeleo (Trioceros) jacksonii xantholophu, Jacksons Chameleon You don't need a CITES import permit but you will need a CITES export permit from U.S.A. for this species. This species is listed under CITES appendix II.
•Furcifer pardalis, Ambilobe Panther Chameleon You don't need a CITES import permit but you will need a CITES export permit from U.S.A. for this species. This species is listed under CITES appendix II.

You should contact Canadian Food Inspection Agency to know if they have any requirement for the importation. http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/eng/1300386686425/1300387824030

Regards,

Philippe Drolet

Chef de Délivrance des permis - opérations par intérim/ Acting Head of Permitting Operations

Service canadien de la faune/ Canadian Wildlife Service

Environnement Canada/Environment Canada

Téléphone/Telephone : 819-994-2994

So... dose this mean I can bring crested geckos and Bearded Pygmy Chameleons safely without any problem arcoss the boarder if no Cites permit and import permit is needed?
Kathleen

Kathleen: The Crested Geckos and the pygmy chameleons are not regulated by CITES so you don’t have to go through the hassle of obtaining that paperwork to bring them across. If you are going by car simply declare them at the border to the Canadian authorities and pay any duties and taxes on the cost. You may get pulled off to the side for them to check that everything is fine and get your payment. However, those animals DO have to be inspected and a form 3-177 be filed by the American Fish and Wildlife Service before leaving American soil. I think the fee for the form and inspection is $165.00 and this needs to be arranged in advance with the USFWS. The Canadians will be looking for the 3-177 documents.

I do have to note that sending animals over international borders by carriers like FedEx and UPS is illegal. You can not mark the box Anole or any other innocuous item like a book. All boxes are inspected and x-rayed and if animals are found they will be confiscated and destroyed. I’m not sure if the carriers will pursue any criminal action on the part of the sender.

Back
Top Bottom