A Petshop that listened

MATT2504

Established Member
Well i popped to my local petshop earlier to pick up some dog food, and as i usually do i let the wife decide on the type and flavour :D anyway whilst she was doing that i wondred round to the reptile section hoping to finally see a chameleon (educating myself at the moment before i get one). Low and behold they had finally got one in, but to my horror the conditions before me me did'nt seem right. At first i did'nt see the male Jackson as i was looking into the cage which was a glass doored wooden box with two spherical type lights on the inside:mad: i finally located him at the front hanging onto the glass door for what seemed to be for his life! as i looked into the bare enviourmnent which was sparse to say the least and only had a few fake vines in each corner and a few sticks near which i assumed to be the basking lamp and UVB light, I noticed that the humidity was reading 15% and the temp was 79F.
My other concern was that the way they were keeping the humidity at that low level was they were using an internal fog maker (the thick coin shaped ones)
I was looking for a drinking sourse like a drip system or rain maker, but to my horror found a ceramic dish of water full of excrement:eek: that was the final straw, i proceded to the checkout and asked to see the manager. A few min's later he surfaced, and i explained to him why the Jackson should not be kept in condition like those!!!!
To my relief he seemed to be really greatful for the advice and proceded to rectify the situation with my guidence right infront of me:)
After 40 mins or so and a cage looking 1000 times better than it did when i walked in i shook hands with a more than gratful manager and assistant and went on my way with a smile acroos my face :D (i felt like a propper little boy scout)

I will be going back to see the final outcome in a few days, so fingers crossed they might of really understood that these beautiful creatures are not your average reptile.

wow. thats a great manager. he would have been a better manager if he would have done the research 1st but it is rare they listen and follow through. most act like know it alls and tell you you're wrong. you might have saved his life.:)

Yeah, maybe next time they will know how to properly set up a cham cage so that the next import doesnt have to suffer thru those types of conditions. Good work, and good luck finding your cham when your ready for one.....

They have only had him 5 days, so hopefully! he seemed to be about 4-6 months but iam not quite sure on that. Only wish i had my phone on me so i could of photographed the crime scene :mad:

Well Done

Great job Matt, if we could all get pet stores to respond like that the number of chams that come through petstore's would have a chance.

Thanks for the nice words of support :) i'll try my best to educate on my way to finally owning a chameleon :D

Great job approaching them in the correct manner and educating them! Hopefully their little jacksons will do a little better now thanks to your help. Glad to hear some pet stores still care about their animals sometimes! :D

wow i am surprised that the manager didnt take that too offense. where i live i will try to educate the petstores near me they try to deny deny deny and say they are right because i am fairly young -__-

wow i am surprised that the manager didnt take that too offense. where i live i will try to educate the petstores near me they try to deny deny deny and say they are right because i am fairly young -__-

Hi giaindell,

When i was youngh most adults also egnored me aswell when it came to education (assuming that because i was youngh i knew little compared to them) however being 35 yrs of age and now very well educated to life and the well being of all animals, i think that he saw the true passion in my eyes and not the fact of me being over 6 feet tall and 220lbs! ;)

BTW i just want to clarify that i did'nt bully the poor guy into making his decision, i just educated the guy.
As they say "JACK OF ALL TRADES MASTER OF NONE"

Hi giaindell,

When i was youngh most adults also egnored me aswell when it came to education (assuming that because i was youngh i knew little compared to them) however being 35 yrs of age and now very well educated to life and the well being of all animals, i think that he saw the true passion in my eyes and not the fact of me being over 6 feet tall and 220lbs! ;)

BTW i just want to clarify that i did'nt bully the poor guy into making his decision, i just educated the guy.
As they say "JACK OF ALL TRADES MASTER OF NONE"

yea im not an expert in chameleons i still have a lot to learn but i know enough between right and wrong so i hate when i go to pet smart and i see the things i do :eek:

Back
Top Bottom