A little help with silkworms??

ChamChick

Im getting ready to order some silkworms online, and I need to know that it is ok to feed them to my panthers. My concern is the size of the worm. Im ordering off of Mulberry Farms, and Im also ordering bulk crickets, so I am getting free silkworms, plus ordering some more silkies. I just need to know if the silkies should be babies, small or medium size. Both my cham babies are 4 months old, with the female being a bit larger than the male...I will include some pics. Any help is great!:)

Hmm...ok so I had attached the pictures in another thread so now I cant figure out how to attach them here...its not letting me...SORRY!

fyi no pics posted, but maybe you could chop up the worms to make them smaller for your little guy to make them easier to eat?

At 4 months you'd be better off getting silk eggs and hatching your own. If you dont want to do that then ask for the smallest size they can give you. Silks grow pretty fast so I wouldnt place a big order or else most will outgrow your chams needs.

The worm should be no larger than the space between the chameleon's eyes. However, being a soft bodied worm you have a little more leeway with sizes, but ere on the safe side.

I'm sure Mullberry would help you with sizing if you called and asked. :)

If they are of average size, they should be able to handle worms up to an inch (maybe more.) They are not all that wide.

if you chop up the worms, they will die and your chameleon will most likely not eat dead prey, so maybe not the best suggestion here for that. If you buy the silk chow seperate from the worms instead of buying the pod, which contains both the worms and the chow in one, you can feed the silks less often and grow them a little slower. But definitely get the smallest silks they have to start off with.

Back
Top Bottom