A bad cham day...

ChameleonMom

So today I had a chameleon 'incident' occur that saw my young, and very treasured male veiled Dexter be attacked by a new and older (& somewhat 'mean') male veiled chameleon Norman, who I acquired 4 days ago from a friend who was downsizing. Norman found his way easily into Dexters outdoor cage and really put the beats to him. The 'spine' on Dexter's casque has always been a bit loose and had broken away in places beforehand but when I got to him after Norman beat him up his casque was bitten so bad the spine was gone and the casque cut open lengthwise down to his nose. Blood was coming out of the wound and as I put Norman into his cage, he was covered in Dex's blood! It was so very horrific and ugly and I still feel sick to my stomach when I think about it. Bites and bruises all over my poor boy. :( He was in shock and was grey and lifeless when I took him out. I immediately prepped a syringe of .01cc's of Metacam and called my vet. I was SO scared that he wouldn't make it but hubby rushed me to the vet. The wound was cleaned, I was assured it was 'only' a flesh wound and I was sent home with baytril, chlorhexidine soap (keep it absolutely clean) and give pain meds (Metacam) daily. I cried with relief! My boy would be okay!

Lesson learned: know the chameleon before trusting him. I didn't think in a million years Norman would do what he did. And it cost Dexter a nasty beating.

Man! What a jerk! My veiled was the same way. He defiantly was the bully of the whole group. I'm glad everything is ok though.

Sorry to hear, hoping he will be ok. Veileds are so aggressive, it doesn't surprise me that this happened. Good on you for getting him to the vet as fast as you could, you may have saved his life.

Sorry to hear your cham attack.
My oldest veiled is as gentle as can be with me, but if there is another cham in his territory (everywhere is his territory!!) he will attack them.

It's times like that when we are reminded that they are still aggresive animals.

Glad he is alright, I can imagine the guilt. That's something I always worry about but I make sure my veiled is locked up before I take out my panther. Although my panther always displays dominance over the veiled when they come in eye contact

That's terrible Lisa. I'm glad he's going to be ok. My male veileds have always been the most friendly and loving chams to me but they couldn't stand any other male chameleons. :eek:

I have been away for the weekend (took Dexter with me!) and while he's doing okay and recovering from his wounds, I am going to take him back to the vet as his left side is concave and not puffing out with breathing. My vet felt his sides and prodded his internal organs with his hands and felt sure there was no internal damage, however 5 days later he's displaying signs if internal injuries. I wanted to thank everyone for your kind words. My baby Dex is so lovely and trusting...I just feel so horrible about this.

The males are trying to continue their species. Instinct driven. That is all. For them, this is not a nature vs nuture question. Sure, you can raise a sweet little cham, but their brains just aren't big enough to reason right and wrong. So, it isn't your fault. It isn't his fault. It is just mother nature ensuring her kids survive. Hope he recovers. I feel two weeks of phone restriction should be enough for the aggressor. :D

Thanks Junglefries! I am most certain now that he will recover. He's eating and drinking well and his bites and wounds are healing. Lesson definitely learned.

Back
Top Bottom