911 Panther Immobile

Calypso

I don't have the use of a regular computer so I can't really put the normal info sheet, but here goes the important stuff:

1 1/2 yr old Ambilobe male
Kept outdoors in XL reptibreeze in covered porch
Morning sun and a little bit of afternoon sun
New Iberia, LA
AMBIENT TEMP 95 during the day/ with cool area about 84
Night temp about 76
Dusted cricket diet twice a week
Monsoon mister 90 seconds every hr
Powersun 100w
Plenty of vegetation for hiding and climbing

Came home from lunch today with eyes shut and laying on bottom of cage. I immediately put him in like warm bath to hydrate. Eyes are sunken. Shallow breathing. Mouth is responsive when opening. Have been putting a little water in mouth. I'm worried organs have ceased functioning from dehydration. I don't think there is an exotic vet anywhere near me. I'm not sure what he needs but I believe at the very least he needs fluids injected. He's been in bath or about five hrs now.

I googled your weather. With 90* weather, you must keep them in the shade. Afternoon sun can be a killer. I know this from a first hand mistake.

Dont force fluids down his mouth. With your current misting schedule. Why do you think he is dehydrated? Do you also have a power sun on him outside?

What color was he when you found him?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409789529.291534.jpg
This is about how it looked when I found him, but is him currently.

Yes I keep the Powersun on the cage in the case he needs a higher basking temp during the day but doesn't have it. The bulb is almost a year old though. So I figure it doesn't keep his bask at the 90 it did when I had him inside, but if it does he would still have plenty of room to get away from it during the day.

I figure he's dehydrated from his sunken eyes and his light coloration. I don't have a clue what else it could be. However, his feces is white and normal looking.

Here's a vet in your area with chameleon experience: http://www.gcvs.com/

Heat will do that to them. I keep my panthers basking spot at 85 or 86, mid way down the trees mid to high 70's and a cool area at the bottom of the trees in the low 70's.

He probably was overheated. I would not keep a basking light on the cage when your temps are in the 90's. That is just too much heat!

Thank y'all for your help, but I think he's passed. He's beginning to turn extremely pale and I can no longer see his chest moving from breathing. This is really hard as I've had him from a hatchling. I thought I was doing everything right. I had done so much for him as an infant and can't believe I've let this happen to him now. I think he will be my last Cham for a very long time. Rest easy Proteus

I have a feeling it got to hot for him today. Just because his eyes are sunkin in doesn't always mean he is dehydrated. There eyes can become sunkin in because of severe stress and unfortunately when there on there way out the door. My advise to you is atleast leave him 100% alone for the night. Please give an update in the morning.

The only time my panther turned those colors was under heat stress. I caught it very quickly so he didn't suffer permanent effects, but it definitely can cause permanent damage or even death.

Sorry for your loss. Looks like he over heated. I wouldn't use a basking light outside at all. And I also live in a hot and sometimes pretty humid area, I bring my boys inside around 11:30am when the "feels like" temp starts hitting 90 ish. It just gets too hot and hey cant cool down. Even when it says 89 outside I can see my panthers start to get a bit yellow and i know its time to come inside.

I usually take them outside around 7 or 7:30am and bring them in by about 11:30am during the summer.

Sorry to hear Calypso. If you have any other chameleons please learn from this. Digital thermometer readings are still a must outside. Dont rely on the weather man.

Back
Top Bottom