9 months old and no eggs :)

getwitit

Well I have to say, my female panther has yet to lay her first clutch, and I am KIND OF proud. I am either doing something good, or not at all :)
I am keeping my female in an enclosure that has a heat bulb but it is not pointed directly at the enclosure so my temps don't exceed 80F. This, and the fact that I tend NOT to feed her with wax worms or anything fatty when when she is showing non-receptive colors..for a while is what has kept her from becoming gravid so far(I think). My idea is that a chameleon's body will initiate the production of eggs if conditions(whatever they are; heat, food etc.) are favorable BEFORE they start showing receptive colors.

This is just MY theory, no empirical evidence to show this!

If that is true, and if you want to avoid making your female lay clutches often(this is my dumb theory so don't take my advice, just saying what I have done), you should feed her the fatty foods at a particular ovulation time point, and only that time point. What I did, was when I knew she had non-receptive colors for a long period of time, and I thought she would start showing receptive colors soon..This guess was always due to different reasons such as:

I moved while she was non-receptive, and figured after the move, it would take a few weeks for her to get comfortable with the new surroundings and would become receptive soon.

The weather warmed up, and she spent more time outside

Or if it just seemed like a long time since she had last showed receptive colors..

Anyways, after having a lean diet, I would give her a diet heavy in fats for about 2-3 weeks and almost every time, she ended up going receptive but never laid anything. I would quit the fatty foods when she turned colors, check for her belly to fatten up while she was receptive, and if it didn't I wouldn't feed her more fatty foods. But alas..I think I have a gravid female:eek:
She just started to really plump up this week so now I need to give her plenty of food..Too bad the local pet shop has offered me a cup of spoiled wax worms both times I went in there this week!

Back
Top Bottom