80 watt mercury vapor bulb

Hi chameleon keepers,
Has anyone tried using and 80W MV bulb on their Cham?
As in depending on a MV bulb for both UVA/UVB.

I'm still not understanding why people do not recommend them. I personally feel that on a large cage (4' or more) placing the bulb a few inches above the screen, depending on species and room temperature; will provide heat and uvb.

If you were to decorate the cage in a way that provides a lot of level to climb/bask/hide. Should'nt the 80 W be great? I mean it seems more natural to provide an all in one bulb. And now with the smaller wattage it makes sense to me to depend on it.

What is everyone's opinion on that?

PS. The Arcadia bulb is very reliable and accurate, I've used it on my other animals. Nothing but good things to say!

Well, I haven't used these myself, but have read several concerns from others:
*Some bulbs burn out fast-quality control?
*They are HOT and if splashed with water can explode.
*They may be too intense for young or smaller chams.
*May be too hot and drying for montane species
*Many of us have used the typical basking spot and separate UVB emitting fluorescents for years...if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I used one for 4 years or so with my male veiled without any issues. He had early stages of mdb when he was younger and for whatever reason I decided to use one of these, with good results.

I like the tube uvbs as they cover more area and light up the cage. The combo bulbs usually come in the dome and don't provide much light, especially if you have a big cage.

Back
Top Bottom